Clueless anti's become gun law experts, every time!

This is a discussion on Clueless anti's become gun law experts, every time! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was out shooting at my grandmas today with my new p229. I put it away in my car, and family starts showing up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clueless anti's become gun law experts, every time!

Clueless anti's become gun law experts, every time!

So I was out shooting at my grandmas today with my new p229. I put it away in my car, and family starts showing up for our little x-mas eve get together. I show a few members of my extended family(uncles and cousins) my gun and tell them about my pending CPL- the ones I showed were interested, I knew they would be or I wouldn't have showed them. Well, later on there were a bunch of us just sitting around yacking, and the topic of CCW came up from one of my uncles, who's girlfriend apparantly carries. He admits to not knowing a bunch about the laws and one of my anti uncles starts spitting off how a michigan cpl is only good out-of-state in Kansas, how you must put your hands on the dash of your car and identify yourself to a cop if stopped(no, just identify as a cpl holder). Well I couldn't resist and I piped in with my knowledge and the fact that I just took a class and have been studying the laws, he continues to insist he's right. He also adds that in MI you can't carry in banks(incorrect ). Then the uncle with the ccw girlfriend pipes in how he doesn't have his cpl but is just fine carrying his smith & wesson on the hip in the open, besides, "What's the point in concealing anyhow when you don't have to?". I just shut up and let it ride.. I see its futile. Glad I only see these people once a year.

2. Remove Ads

Are we related? Sounds like some of my extended family. We can pick our friends but we're stuck with our family!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Two rules I try to observe in situations like that:
    "You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to."
    "Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person."
    Notice I said I TRY to observe these rules. Sometimes it just doesn't work out though.

My signature line fits for occasions like this too.
    Last edited by sisco; December 25th, 2006 at 11:44 AM.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

At times like that I remember what my father told me. "Never argue with a fool, It's hard for onlookers to tell who is who"

I have a similar situation with a cousin of mine. He's not anti he just doesn't have a clue. Every time he sees me with my 1911 he says "You carry that thing cocked?"

The implication is clear. Only an idiot would do something like that. I've tried to explain cocked and locked to him but he doesn't buy it. Now I just say yes and smile... it's easier for all!

LaP
    After making your point, just sit back and let them hang themslves. Most people can tell who's full of it and who isn't.

Assistant Administrator
    There comes a time when ''energy saving mode'' is the way to go.

Inwardly cringe but outwardly just acknowledge them with ''Yeah, sure'' - and change the subject! Banging one's head on brick walls gets real tiring and I hate headaches.

I am still impressed with the latest quote someone posted - in answer to ''why do you carry that thing" ..........

"I carry this gun because I cannot carry a cop"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaP View Post
    After making your point, just sit back and let them hang themslves. Most people can tell who's full of it and who isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Banging one's head on brick walls gets real tiring and I hate headaches.
    Well said, indeed!

I just got a great book on how to handle the whole range of commentary. I haven't opened it yet but I'll let y'all know if Conservative Comebacks to Liberal Lies addresses this particular issue. I've been so involved in 2nd Amendment issues my whole adult life I find it's not too hard to overcome the hysteria with the facts. It helps that I've been to law school....but it's even better that I'm a former Teacher of the Year for American Government. Yet, I do carry one of those little folding FIREARMS FACTS cards you can get from the NRA. Those are awesome.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Every one of my family, save my father, is staunch anti.

I've been called "macho," "gun nut," "pistolero," "cowboy," "redneck," and just about everything else since I've been home.

And this is my close family. Any suggestions? lol I can't really trade them in or break up with them. I'm just glad I live halfway across the country. Most of those names came from my mom's husband, who never ever leaves the house or goes to sleep without arming the alarm. hahah
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Geese George can I pet the bunny rabbits George... can I?

Let him know you can also carry in Minnesota and by the way Kansas has not released who it will have reciprocity with.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Never Argue With A Walking Encyclopedia...

When others think that they have all the answers...I let it all go..."My, certainly has been rainly lately, eh?"

My thoughts?...
    Don't waste my time...and don't call me when you need help...

It's like trying to encourage people to stock up on 'supplies' for a day that 'may really come'...if they're not at least a little bit interested, you're just blowing smoke...let it go and MOVE ON!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

you can pick your friends but not your family. well it only once a year.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Wink Baaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Every one of my family, save my father, is staunch anti.

I've been called "macho," "gun nut," "pistolero," "cowboy," "redneck," and just about everything else since I've been home.

And this is my close family. Any suggestions? lol I can't really trade them in or break up with them. I'm just glad I live halfway across the country. Most of those names came from my mom's husband, who never ever leaves the house or goes to sleep without arming the alarm. hahah
    Ask them to put their lives where their mouths are and erect a LARGE sign in the front yard: This home UNARMED and PROUD! And see what the reactions are. Tell him with such a large flock of sheep, that you're proud to stand as the family sheepdog. That sheepdog essay should be required reading for all members of this forum. I'm not at my home computer or I'd post a link, but maybe somebody else can. It's by LTC David Grossman from his book "ON COMBAT."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Reading that story gave me flash backs to just about every family get together with my wife's family.
    My Mom-in-Law and Dad-in-Law are both perfectly OK with us carrying but some of her stupid aunts are so completely anti it is amazing. And here;s the kicker, when we lived down there not far from her extended family, the most anti-gun aunt she has called me in the dead of night one night and wanted me to come and check her property because she thought she kept hearing something. I asked her why she called me and she said because I have guns and I could shoot anyone who isn't supposed to be there.
    I told her that that isn't my job, it would be her job if that was what needed to be done.
    She replied that she had no guns and wouldn't know what to do with one, to which I replied, that seems to be a problem for you then. I suggested she call the police if she was really concerned.
    I then hung up and went back to sleep with a rather smug smile on my face.

I do not miss those frequent family reunions at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    She replied that she had no guns and wouldn't know what to do with one, to which I replied, that seems to be a problem for you then.
    It amazes me that someone can recognize the practicality and usefulness of a firearm, but at the same time fear it. My Mom refuses to hold a firearm, for several reasons I will spare you all from. You've heard them before. After I had to go over a couple months ago when someone kicked in her door, she reluctantly but finally accepted my offer of a loaner. Still I wonder what will happen when it's time to pull the trigger.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links