"Why Bother" by Lynn Sherwood

This is a discussion on "Why Bother" by Lynn Sherwood within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lynn did a great job sharing with ladies how they should carry themselves when they are out in public. This is a great read for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: "Why Bother" by Lynn Sherwood

Lynn did a great job sharing with ladies how they should carry themselves when they are out in
    public. This is a great read for everyone and be sure to share it with all of the ladies in your life.

BurgerBoy likes this.

gatorbait51 and BurgerBoy like this.

Very interesting take. She make a lot of sense and sounds like a hell of a woman. No one really wants to look like a victim. Most people try to look like a bad ass to send the " don't mess with me" message. Obviously most women can not pull that one off. Lynn does it in another way by showing her supreme confidence ( and it sounds like she can back it up if need be).
    gatorbait51 and chrisdxn like this.

Is attractive clothing and make-up the only way to do garner this attention? Of course not! In fact, it’s the tiniest, itty-bittiest percentage of WHY you will notice me. (Remember this line if you start judging me as a stuck-up, vain witch with too much time on her hands while judging others. J )

Lol! I'm glad she added that line. It's an important message, and it'd be a shame if it came off as "look pretty so you won't be a target!"
    chrisdxn likes this.

I read somewhere from an interview with a thug/rapist guy who said he picked his women by how they were dressed. He preferred a gal who was "downdressed", as in a pretty girl who downplayed her features. I wish I could find the article.

I seriously doubt that this is a universal selection process but I'm thinking that if a woman projects confidence, they are less likely to be attacked. I'm thinking maybe a woman who is dressed up nicely projects more confidence????

Naturally, how a person carries themselves in public is a factor in the victim selection process. The perp makes a nearly instant decision based on very little feedback in the victim selection process. Psychologists call it "thin slicing."

William Aprill interview on "Ballistic Radio" where he touches on the subject. If you ever get a chance to listen to Mr. Aprill, I highly suggest everyone do so.

http://www.dsbscience.com/download/B...ctYourself.pdf
    chrisdxn likes this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    That IS a High Caliber Woman, for sure!
    chrisdxn likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by jenatron View Post
    Lol! I'm glad she added that line. It's an important message, and it'd be a shame if it came off as "look pretty so you won't be a target!"
    same here, i like portraying confidence in the right manner.
    chrisdxn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    Very interesting take. She make a lot of sense and sounds like a hell of a woman. No one really wants to look like a victim. Most people try to look like a bad ass to send the " don't mess with me" message. Obviously most women can not pull that one off. Lynn does it in another way by showing her supreme confidence ( and it sounds like she can back it up if need be).
    I agree 100%. Some of you might recall in October 2013 my niece was senselessly murdered when she was 8 months pregnant.
    Yes she was in the wrong place with the wrong crowd but she was also ill-prepared to defend herself as well. I post these
    stories hoping I can one day prevent someone from becoming a victim of a ruthless thug. My sister-in-law will never be
    the same and I do not want anyone else to feel her pain. I hope you feel compelled to share this story with all of the ladies
    you know. Maybe together we can make this world a little safer.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

We had Gabby Franco put on a Ladies Shooting Clinic last year at the Sportsman's Club. It went over very well. We have her coming back again this year. I have been passing the word to all the ladies I know or meet who I think might be interested. To my Huge Surprize everyone of them already was aware of the up coming Clinic.
    She puts on a Class on the Friday before the shooting clinic covering how not to be a victim. My wife is planning on attending that one. My wife will do the catering for the Shooting Class, I need to give her an afternoon break so she will go to the Shooting Clinic.
    I have a hard time getting her to the range with me, but she might shoot with all ladies.

Bob The Revolver Guy

Big Creek Kydex
    ICORE MO2908
    chrisdxn likes this.

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    gonna print this up for the old lady
    chrisdxn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    gonna print this up for the old lady
    That is a smart thing to do. I shared it with the ladies I know. It is great seeing ladies giving other
    ladies useful advice. This is a topic that I would not have natural insight into and I believe more ladies
    need to write more article teaching from their own perspective.

A puppy called Remington is pretty funny.
    chrisdxn likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    A puppy called Remington is pretty funny.
    While I love Remington it would seem there are a lot of other names that might have sounded better.

That was a good article and good for her. I don't ever intend on being a victim. i always try to be aware of what's around me. I read not long ago,(The State paper) that S.C. ranked # 1 in 2011 and #2 in 2012,on murders for men killing women. I'm a high caliber girl myself and don't plan on being a statistic.

I would carry no matter where we ranked,but that does open my eyes up a little more. I try to wear what's comfortable,but i try to wear clothes that allows me to get to my gun quicker. It's a bit of a challenge sometimes because i don't like to carry my gun in a purse.You do what you have to do.
    chrisdxn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey88 View Post
    That was a good article and good for her. I don't ever intend on being a victim. i always try to be aware of what's around me. I read not long ago,(The State paper) that S.C. ranked # 1 in 2011 and #2 in 2012,on murders for men killing women. I'm a high caliber girl myself and don't plan on being a statistic.

I would carry no matter where we ranked,but that does open my eyes up a little more. I try to wear what's comfortable,but i try to wear clothes that allows me to get to my gun quicker. It's a bit of a challenge sometimes because i don't like to carry my gun in a purse.You do what you have to do.
    Kasey there are a huge number of ladies in the shooting sport industry and they also carry for protection.
    I for one, like to hear from these ladies as they have a view point that has never occurred to me. Last
    month I did an article on 3 very special women that are worth mentioning. Take a look at this
    article... Ladies and Firearms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links