Doing my part.

This is a discussion on Doing my part. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently my niece told me that she had purchased a collapsible baton for self defense(that made me happy). That got me thinking, can she even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Doing my part.

Doing my part.

Recently my niece told me that she had purchased a collapsible baton for self defense(that made me happy). That got me thinking, can she even carry one legally? Well it turns out no! It would be considered a concealed weapon. So I did the only thing I could think of. I went and bought her my two sisters and my mother CC classes! They had all talked about wanting to do it but never actually did. So I'm hoping that since I got the ball rolling that they will keep it moving and get there CCP.

Who else has purchased classes for friends or family?

2. Remove Ads

In Texas, no, as well...it is odd, we can obtain CHL licenses to carry handguns, however, it is curious a knife over 5 1/2" and a "club" are still illegal...
    Hoganbeg likes this.

I agree that is very odd. Its the same here in MN. Even with my permit its illegal to carry batons, tazers, etc..
    WrongRecroom likes this.

VIP Member
    Congratulations to you for doing that! It's called putting your money where your mouth is......part one (or maybe part two or part three?)

If I had a relative (close, or at least previously known*) who wanted to obtain a carry permit and couldn't afford to pay for the class and the license application fee, you're darned tootin' I would do as you have done and gift it to them!

*see post #11..........
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; February 20th, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
    SteelerFan likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

My Dad payed for mine, many moons ago.
    SteelerFan likes this.

ASP baton is a felony here. CCW doesn't allow for batons or automatic knives.
    AMMUNITION: The currency for the new millenium.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    My Dad payed for mine, many moons ago.
    My dad supported me and encouraged me to get mine, but didn't pay for it. It was money well spent though, probably the best $120 I've ever spent.
    SteelerFan likes this.
    There are only two times you can have too much ammo,when you are drowning or on fire. - I wish I knew the mans name who said this so I could give him credit!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Felcore View Post
    Recently my niece told me that she had purchased a collapsible baton for self defense(that made me happy). That got me thinking, can she even carry one legally? Well it turns out no! It would be considered a concealed weapon. So I did the only thing I could think of. I went and bought her my two sisters and my mother CC classes! They had all talked about wanting to do it but never actually did. So I'm hoping that since I got the ball rolling that they will keep it moving and get there CCP.

Who else has purchased classes for friends or family?
    All too often people will go out and buy defensive items without checking on the legality of them in their state. Then wonder why they're in trouble when caught with it. Check the laws before spending the money. Not only will it save you the cost of the item, it can save you thousands in legal fees.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Canes are legal.

In a similar vein, a buddy of mine got me a knockoff 1918 Trench Knife aka brass knuckle knife, and I am not exactly sure of its legality but I would venture a guess that carrying something like it is illegal here in Nebraska.

No worries, I have no plans to carry it even if it was legal. Never bring a knife to a gunfight. Plus its a cheap Chinese knockoff that he shouldn't have wasted money on. But it at least has novelty effect even though I can see the cheap blade breaking off if you ever had to employ it.

I will probably even regift it because I'm not one for much novelty and if I were ever having to defend myself in court I don't want to have to explain its presence when they put a picture of my "arsenal" on the news.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Congratulations to you for doing that! It's called putting your money where your mouth is......part one (or maybe part two or part three?)

If I had a relative who wanted to obtain a carry permit and couldn't afford to pay for the class and the license application fee, you're darned tootin' I would do as you have done and gift it to them!
    I think we may be related. I think my mother's sister's brother's uncle's daughter's aunt, is your third cousin. I can't afford a new gun. Would you be willing to help out family?
    USM1976 and Glock2201 like this.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Are they going to throw the baton down range at the targets for their proficiency test? ;)

venturing out in north minneapolis you need a weapon and a freakin flak jacket these days.

According to the manual I got during my CCDW class in KY last year, I can carry Weapons of Mass Destruction. Too bad the feds outlaw them.

To the OP's question, aside from my wife, no I haven't yet. The rest of my family isn't comfortable with it enough to do it.

My Dad gifted myself and my fiancé our CCW classes. Awesome gift, because although we had been concerned with self-defense, we had never really considered CC (were never really exposed to guns). It was what really got us into firearms, self-defense, etc.
    Good for you. :) I hope they follow through.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Good for you. You gave them a very nice gift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links