blazers, sport coats, and other overgarments

This is a discussion on blazers, sport coats, and other overgarments within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In fiction, the bad guys and some cops had suits cut to allow extra room for a shoulder holster. I'm a T-shirt guy, and jackets ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: blazers, sport coats, and other overgarments

blazers, sport coats, and other overgarments

In fiction, the bad guys and some cops had suits cut to allow extra room for a shoulder holster. I'm a T-shirt guy, and jackets are outside my normal wardrobe, but I got curious and searched for "jackets cut for shoulder holster." And it turns out they're not only real, but a common feature of tailored or "bespoke" jackets.

I had no idea of the difference between a suit jacket, a sport coat, and a blazer, though I knew the terms. This site seemed informative: A Man and the Sports Jacket: A Tailored Suit?s Sports Jacket Giveaway | The Art of Manliness

My style would be more like "nylon shell" or "blue denim", but if you're the haute couture type, I guess a custom-made jacket is the next step after the custom-made holster...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The specialty aftermarket will give anything one is looking for. A shoulder holster gives me nothing I don't already have with my IWBs when wearing suit coats, and actually presents additional concerns.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I'm not a dress up sort of guy but, I do keep a suit and sport jackets around for Funerals and Weddings. When I have clothes altered I put my guns wear I carry them and then let the Tailor make their marks.
    GWarden likes this.

VIP Member
    A suit coat or sports jacket make excellent cover garments. In our current overly casual society, though, they tend to be more than a bit out of place in all but a few social settings. The untucked button down shirt serves much the same function and is far more comfortable.

As for having a coat cut to help conceal a handgun, many stores and tailors offer this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I actually read the Art of Manliness all the time, although I'd not seen this article before. But that site actually has some very good information on it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Last Sept I wore a suit for the first time in about 10 years. IWB tucked worked fine for me. Just made sure when I bought the pants I had my carry rig to insure the pants were comfortable and the jacket didn't bulge out. No more than I wear a suit, I can't see the expense of tailor made.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Leather 'Bomber Jacket' hides this setup nicely, even though I never wear it. (much)

Wishoot likes this.
    AMMUNITION: The currency for the new millenium.

I am an ORD myself. "Old Retired Dude" I did however like the movie RED better "Retired Extremely Dangerous"

I never wear a shoulder holster, ever. I am pretty much a Pancake kind of guy, with a couple pocket holsters for good measure.

I have Nylon Wind Breakers, Duluth Trading Company Lite Working Man's Vests, Carhartt Vests, A closet full of Fishing Shirts. Carhartt Jack Shirts, Blue Jean Jackets, and even a Woolrich Concealed carry Barn Jacket.
    I layer, some time I take a vest and a jacket or coat with me incase I get somewhere it is likely to get to hot to stay in the coat.

I do have suits, but I try not to wear them any more than I have to. My Church is pretty casual, Blue Jeans, or Dress Pants are normal wear. A sports coat is very rare.

Being an ORD you are invisible. Kinda like a 3 year old Tan Toyota Camry, Invisible.

As for Shoot Me First Vests. I wear my Duluth Trading Company "Working Man's Vest" (In A Tall) year round. I have a Carpenters pencil and a Pen in the pencil pocket. Project Calculator in the Cel Phone Pocket, Note Book, Ear Plugs in an Orange waterproof match's container with a hole in the lid and an orange 550 cord loop for attachment. No one ever gives me a second look. I can carry my 2.75 Inch N Frame 310 Night Guard under the vest year round.

Bob The Revolver Guy

Big Creek Kydex
    ICORE MO2908
    5lima30ret likes this.

I agreed with others I rarely wear anything more then polo and khakis max.. I live in a resort town very laid back causal you know .... I do have a lot of suites etc but rarely wear them.. If I did I pro just pocket or ankle carry ...

Now if I had a job where I had to wear a suite then yeah I might looking into getting one lose at the shoulder for a shoulder rig .. But I dont have a need for it right now

Or if I was OO7 I would get the one that make down in South America .. Custom made Armani suites lined with Kevlar .... That is good for all occasion ..
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    The guy that does Art of Manliness is from my home town. Makes me feel old when I think of him being an adult, I still remember him as a little kid. Has some good stuff, but leans a little bit much towards the pretty boy side of "manliness" for me from time to time.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I do a lot of bodyguard/security work and most of the time I have to wear a suit. I usually use an IWB. My IWB holster is very comfortable in blue jeans, but it's not as comfortable with the thinner materials used in suits, no matter how good of a belt I use. I'm looking for a nice vertical shoulder holster for my S&W M&P 45c, but I still haven't found one ( everything seems to be for the full size 45's ). I don't want a horizontal holster because they print too much, even with the extra tailor work, plus I don't like muzzling people.---Sturgis
    redmc likes this.
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I own a corduroy sports coat and also own a nice tweed hunting jacket, (think classic english hunting), both have suede elbow patches and the tweed jacket has a leather collar cuff. They work well at dress casual/after office functions and do wonders for concealing SD accouterments. Yes, I have been accused of being a clothes whore and like being well dressed.

I wear a shoulder holster rig with my vests (built in) and I have a nice leather one for under a coat now and then. I manage money so am in an industry where everyone wears a suit. Except me. T shirt and cargo shorts even in the winter is my most common wear. My clients know me as a bit of a rebel. If they don't like how I dress they can buzz off. otherwise I Kangaroo carry or a pancake when not carrying in one of my concealed vests or pocket carrying in my special ccpants.
    StillLearning likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I used to wear long sleeve dress shirt and a sport coat back when I was a Detective. It was required by policy. Now many agencies (mine included) now wear khakis and polo shirts w/ logo times have changed, I digress... I just bought my sport coats one size larger which worked fine for an OWB holster, magazine holder, and handcuffs. Now that I am retired my winter daily attire is usually a Carhart hooded jacket and or same type vest. Both work fine for OWB carry. I pocket holster carry during the warmer months. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

bigdogtx likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links