Inquiry on Move to Colorado?

This is a discussion on Inquiry on Move to Colorado? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering a move from VA to CO, but wanted to ask the forum, on a CCW basis, if this is a sound move. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Inquiry on Move to Colorado?

I am considering a move from VA to CO, but wanted to ask the forum, on a CCW basis, if this is a sound move. I am active duty military. Colorado does allow CC, but do they issue them to anyone who passes the background check? Also, what's their current position on HG magazine capacity, for both CC and for home defense? Are they swaying more toward CA or has this trend stabilized recently?

Any other thoughts on Colorado and gun ownership would be much appreciated.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Right now there is a 15 round mag cap on all guns ..But this is murky in terms of what is pre ban and not ... It sounds like 99 of the rual cops dont give a crap about this and wont do anything ..

As of right now there is no AWB that I know off .. I am unsure if Denver still has a legecy ban on AWB and over 10 mags ...

There is no more PPT withouth FFL

That all said NFA is still legal and other then making you take the carry course in person ( you use to do it online if you wanted to) I think they are still shall issues.

Up until last year they were one of the more gun freindly states but now ...

But OC is sitll legal no permit and the deal is with CO it is like IL in many ways a lot of urban CA types with libreal rep fighting the rual farmers and good old boys who want there guns .. Already 3 polications have been recalled ..

But as of right now both bills to kill the mag limit and the FFL only PPT have been killed ... So there is a long fight ahead

And for above 15 round mags for HD I dont know the sense I got is the cop wont care esp if you got them at some parts prior to the ban .. But if they wanted to be a pain about it they could jam you up with it
    RevTracy likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

BenGoodLuck and wmhawth like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Moved from VA to CO a couple years ago- don't miss the humidity at all. For high capacity mags, as long as you had them before last July then you're perfectly legal. It's LE's duty to prove you didn't - which would be nigh impossible if the mags aren't dated and they don't have your receipts for them.

If you're coming to colorado springs, the sheriff opposes the laws.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

I moved from CA to Colorado (north Denver area) nearly four years ago. I've had my CHP (as it is known in Adams County) for 18 months. This is a 'shall issue' state, so if you pass the background check you'll have your permit. As for the mag limits, WrongRecroom was very clear in his post. If you have mags larger than 15 rounds purchased prior to July 1, 2013 you are good to go. However, as 19Kvet said, it is up to the LEO to prove you purchased them after that date - which is an impossibility. All but about 3 Sheriffs in our state have publicly stated they will NOT enforce these new laws. BTW, I went to a local shooting range last week...no one said a word about my 30-round AR mags, nor my 16-round 9mm mags. For all intents and purposes, the mag limit law is a joke.

As for the future...from the two recalls and the third liberal Dem who ran away from office when faced with recall it appears that most Coloradans have had enough of this crap. IMHO there will be a change of power in the CO State Senate after the elections this November. At that time you can bet these recent anti-gun laws will be overturned, and if we are lucky enough to replace our current Governor Hickenlooper (or as I prefer to call him Chickenpooper) those new bills will be signed into law. All-in-all, you should be very happy living in this great state...I know I am. I will NEVER return to my home state of Kalifornistan.
    If guns kill people does that mean that pencils misspell words??

The things you are inquiring about have been covered well in the above posts. To those I would just add that Colorado, in spite of the legislative mugging that took place here last year remains one of the most gun friendly places I know. I expect we'll right some wrongs in coming elections. RevTracy says it well in post #5.

Colorado is a “shall issue” state and must issue a permit to any state resident that qualifies.

As for the magazine limits.... It is currently illegal to transfer a magazine that has a capacity larger than 15 rounds within the state.

If you have a magazine that has a capacity larger than 15, that you had prior to the law went into effect (I think it went into effect last July) are fine and you can legally own and use them.

As for the general attitudes throughout the state.... Denver is pretty anti-gun and it is illegal to OC there. There are some other towns that also prohibit OC in the public buildings and parks, but aside from that it's not too bad.

I am just on the northern edge of the Denver Metro Area and have not had any issues. The few LEO that I have spoken to about it seem to be in favor of CCW. I have seen a couple of people OC here in my area and they didn't seem to have any problems.

Hope this helps.

P.S.
    Your Military ID or DD214 are good enough for training requirements.

Despite what some outsiders think, this is still a very gun friendly state. What the others have said about higher cap mags is true. The recent law is practically unenforceable and most law enforcement outside of the city of Denver really don't give a crap about it anyway. The quality of life here is second to none. Move here and you will probably never want to leave.
    Anubis and surefire7 like this.

The advantage of CO over VA is places you can carry. Bars are not off limits, colleges are not off limits, and state colleges and universities can not ban CCW. RTD (Light Rail) is not off limits. The City of Denver plays some deception games with signs. DIA airport has signs that say carrying a loaded firearm is illegal and punishable by one year in jail $10,000 dollar fine unless authorized by law, your CCW is that authorization. Same type signs at RTD. Signs do not carry the weight of law. Very few posted establishments in general. Castle Rock just revoked the ban on open carry on city property. We did recall two state legislators and one resigned over gun issues they forced through the state legislation. We are trying to take back our state. Open carry is banned in the City of Denver. CCW is legal without a permit in your car. Anything legal in your house is legal in your car (other than open alcohol containers, etc). Your car is considered as an extension of your house.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    CCW is legal without a permit in your car.

The advantage of CO over VA is places you can carry. Bars are not off limits, colleges are not off limits, and state colleges and universities can not ban CCW. RTD (Light Rail) is not off limits. The City of Denver plays some deception games with signs. DIA airport has signs that say carrying a loaded firearm is illegal and punishable by one year in jail $10,000 dollar fine unless authorized by law, your CCW is that authorization. Same type signs at RTD. Signs do not carry the weight of law. Very few posted establishments in general.
    In terms of CCW policies, the above is what makes CO ones of the best states in the country for defensive carry. No stupid rules about "public gatherings", mysterious "51%" rules, or the fear of breaking the law by walking through the bar area of Applebee's on way to the restroom. I put my gun on in the morning, and unless visiting a small list of places (son's elementary school grounds, post office, etc.), I don't even think about it for the rest of the day.

I appreciate the out-of-state posters for actually learning CO policies/laws instead of mouthing-off flippant derogatorily comments that have no actual basis in reality.
    surefire7 and Rock_Castle like this.

Knives are the biggest pain in the but in Colorado. CCW does not cover knives, it is really just a CHL. State length limits are universally 3.5 inches for concealed. City of Denver is 3.5 inches period except undef some very specific exemptions for hunting and fishing. I talked to a DPD officer one time and he said they don't enforce any knife laws on citizens not involved in criminal endeavors. Usually it is just an add on to some other crime such as assault, even shoplifting sometimes. Typically the DA won't take the charge by itself. You might lose your knife if in Denver. Most other cities could care less. We always have a hunting exemption in Colorado for knives that are typical for hunting. I'm not sure if you have to be actively hunting or have a hunting license.

In Colorado it's a good idea to buy a huntIng and or fishing license even if you don't hunt. They pay into a fund that will offset the cost of search and rescue if you ever need it. Just one strange Colorado fact.

I wish we had state preemption for knives. That would save a lot of worries carry my favorite knives. I'm not sure how VA is on knives, but we may be worse. When it comes to dangerous weapons you could kill someone faster with a Phillips screwdriver, so all those fear based knife laws are overstated.
    WebleyHunter likes this.

Knives are the biggest pain in the but in Colorado. CCW does not cover knives, it is really just a CHL. State length limits are universally 3.5 inches for concealed. City of Denver is 3.5 inches period except undef some very specific exemptions for hunting and fishing. I talked to a DPD officer one time and he said they don't enforce any knife laws on citizens not involved in criminal endeavors. Usually it is just an add on to some other crime such as assault, even shoplifting sometimes. Typically the DA won't take the charge by itself. You might lose your knife if in Denver. Most other cities could care less. We always have a hunting exemption in Colorado for knives that are typical for hunting. I'm not sure if you have to be actively hunting or have a hunting license.

In Colorado it's a good idea to buy a huntIng and or fishing license even if you don't hunt. They pay into a fund that will offset the cost of search and rescue if you ever need it. Just one strange Colorado fact.

I wish we had state preemption for knives. That would save a lot of worries carry my favorite knives. I'm not sure how VA is on knives, but we may be worse. When it comes to dangerous weapons you could kill someone faster with a Phillips screwdriver, so all those fear based knife laws are overstated.
    Absolutely correct. It's really rather amazing how many people break these laws on a daily basis. Most of the knives sold at WalMart or various stores are generally illegal to carry in most jursidictions. It's kind of silly that I can carry a 1006 Smith in a belt holster under my coat on the 16th Strret Mall, but a knife just bigger than my small Buck locking folder could cause grief.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    Moved from VA to CO a couple years ago- don't miss the humidity at all. For high capacity mags, as long as you had them before last July then you're perfectly legal. It's LE's duty to prove you didn't - which would be nigh impossible if the mags aren't dated and they don't have your receipts for them.

If you're coming to colorado springs, the sheriff opposes the laws.
    I spent 3 days in Colorado Springs about 30 years ago after hitch hiking there. I met some real nice folks and had a great time. It was a cool place to visit but I prefer small towns since then. I think CS is in El Paso county. Sounds like a cool place.

What's wrong with Washington state? The Inland Empire is on the east side of the state and that area is a bastion of conservatism. There are some nice small towns near Idaho and Idaho is one of the better states to live in in my view.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

The magazine issue is proving to be a bigger and bigger joke. Now many shops are selling high cap mag "repair kits" where they take a regular 30rd mag, open the package, disassemble it, and put it back in the same package to sell it. I've heard that some northern Colorado shops just sell them outright because the local law enforcement has no interest in enforcing it.

If you're worried about it, just buy a box of mags before you move for every gun you own or think you might own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links