Magazine limit

Magazine limit

This is a discussion on Magazine limit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just reading another thread and magazine limit came up. I was wondering.....on the Ruger sr9c, it comes with both a 10 round and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Magazine limit

Magazine limit

I was just reading another thread and magazine limit came up.

I was wondering.....on the Ruger sr9c, it comes with both a 10 round and a 17 round magazine. If I were to purchase this gun, the 10 round would be the only magazine I could legally carry/use for home defense, correct? The appeal for the 17 round magazine, for me, was the added stability the longer hand grip will have while shooting.

Just curious...why would Ruger still sell the pistol this way if we cannot use the 17 round magazine?
    CLASS3NH and DingBat like this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    They probably have a specific weapon for your state. I've seen some firearm manufacturers have specific guns for specific markets.
    CLASS3NH and DingBat like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    They may not be able to sell the gun with the 17 round mag in your state. They may put in 2 10 round mags.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

You can use any size mag you wait .. I dont think IL has any mag limit ban at all ...

That law was the old 1994 ban law that sunsetted in 2004.. I carry a gun with 20 + rounds on deck

Now if you live in NY/CA/CT and a few others you may one use 10 or 10 rounder loaded with 7 rounds if in CO/NJ only 15 rounders .. If in HI no handgun mags over 10 but rifle mags are ok ..

In ma they have to be pre 1994 and you have a LTC cat A
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Well, since I am in Illinois......I am surprised the limit isn't 2 rounds!

there is no mag imit in IL now some places near Chicago may ban them still but that is it ..

You can own a 100 round mag if you want ...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

here page 6 covers what parts of IL have mag bans and dont ...

Most state right now do not over 10 .. Or have limits on them

NY/CT/CA have a 10 round limit right now as do a few others CO/NJ have 15 and Ohio has 30 rounds but only if center fire and HI bans over 10 handgun mags

There at one point was a national over 10 ban the 1994 Crime act but that has not been in affect in most places since 2004..

So unless you live in the one or two place in IL that still ban over 10 then feel free to buy and load 17-30-100 round mags whatever you want ...

Ruger probly has the 10 round mags for the state that still have mag ban like CA and NY and CT etc ... But since the sunset of the 94 law they are free to make over 10 rounds mags and sell them .. Or they make them as they are flush fit mags for more concelablity

Heck as a fun side note even during the 94 years they still made over 10 mags but marked them as LEO only so if you ever see a mag marked that way it means it is from 1994-2004 .. But they are legal to own in most places I have quite a few of them
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

GH
    Ruger makes a higher capacity mag because it's legal in most states. My M&P40C comes with 10 round mags as standard. This doesn't stop me from carrying it with a 15 round mag from a full size M&P40 in WI.

As it's been posted - you probably wouldn't be able to legally buy a magazine that's capable of carrying more than the limit imposed by your state.
    CLASS3NH and WrongRecroom like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Hey...thanks so much everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Ruger makes a higher capacity mag because it's legal in most states. My M&P40C comes with 10 round mags as standard. This doesn't stop me from carrying it with a 15 round mag from a full size M&P40 in WI.

As it's been posted - you probably wouldn't be able to legally buy a magazine that's capable of carrying more than the limit imposed by your state.

Just as add on esp now you may run into a CA or Ny etc legal gun for sale in free states .. Just that the guns comes with only 10 rounds does not nec mean you can not own them... I have seen for sale in AZ old 1994 ban era glocks or CA legal glocks or guns bought in CA before the owener moved to here .. They only have 10 rounder with them does not mean I can buy and put 17-20 rounders in them ...

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    They probably have a specific weapon for your state. I've seen some firearm manufacturers have specific guns for specific markets.
    ^^^^^ Your State will come up with a Specific SKU for the gun you can legally own.. Just like Massachusetts, you'll most likely have something similar to their SKU. (different SKU number so the FFL doesn't sell you a gun you can't own, and they can't legally sell to you.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The magazine limit here in residential areas is 30.

Wait, that might be the speed limit...
    kukla likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The truth of the matter is the SR9c comes with two magazines because with the 10 round magazine it is a compact, short grip. Swap out the magazines, load up the 17 round magazine, it has a sleeve over the magazine and it matches the grip frame/pattern and its almost identical to the SR9, and has a full length grip.
    SteelerFan and WrongRecroom like this.

I generally maintain a personal, self-policed magazine limit. I seldom EVER carry concealed with more that 10 mags on my person.

As for Illinois gun regulations? YOU voted 'em into office. Enjoy your choices.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

And...the full length grip is one of the things that was so appealing to me. I like the idea of a little extra grip and thus recoil control.....I may be incorrect on this though, just what I have heard. I have not shot any of the compact 9mm so I really cant compare them as of yet. I shoot a full-sized P89 and I love it. I feel it fits me a lot better than the G17/G19 I shot. And my felt recoil was less than the Glock, most likely due to the way it fit me better. Having said that, my hands are very small and I still have to turn my dominant hand slightly over to the trigger side (as I have mentioned in other threads).

I am interested in buying a compact because I just cannot conceal that P89 and the sr9c just seems so appealing based on price range, manufacturer and overall great reviews on this forum. I gather that with the 17 round mag, since it is a single stack (is this correct?) it may not conceal as well. But, I bet my hands won't cover the bottom of the grip with only a 10 round mag anyway.....

I will hopefully get the opportunity to try this and a few others out when I go to visit my dad next week in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    YOU voted 'em into office. Enjoy your choices.
    Um.......NO I did NOT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links