Help me change my company's policy....

This is a discussion on Help me change my company's policy.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm doing all the political legwork to support the recomendation that I will make. That recomendation will have to include me offering an alternative to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me change my company's policy....

I'm doing all the political legwork to support the recomendation that I will make. That recomendation will have to include me offering an alternative to a statement that's contained in the current employee handbook. Anyways, that's what I'm having most trouble with right now... how do I rewrite this to allow an exception for CCW and not make it obvious???

"Possession of firearms or any other dangerous weapons, at any time, on premises owned or occupied by the company."

Down the road it could become more obvious, but for now whatever I suggest to the suits has to be very subtle so that they know and I know and only those who should know would know.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

"Unauthorized possession of firearms or any other dangerous weapons, at any time, on premises owned or occupied by the company."

Though I do kind of take offense to the implication that any firearm is a 'dangerous weapon'.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    "Unauthorized possession of firearms or any other dangerous weapons, at any time, on premises owned or occupied by the company."
    Sweet! I was hoping for something like that as it is vague enough that everyone should be happy.

Though I do kind of take offense to the implication that any firearm is a 'dangerous weapon'.
    I know.. but it's a one step at a time deal.... I am still working on them to sneak this one in, but I am thinking that it might be doable in the very near future. Events like the shooting in Chicago not too long ago as bad as they are, actually help my cause.

How about "Illegal possession of firearms or any other dangerous weapons, at any time, on premises owned or occupied by the company."?

Less obvious, but definitely allows for the legal possession/carrying.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I do belive OG nailed it . As all who are in LE find , Its not what you write but how well you write it that counts LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I think the legality of it would depend on the state you are in though, right? I mean in KS it is illegal to carry onto property that is posted with a 'no guns' sign.

In a state where the law doesn't have that posted sign exception it seems that an employee could legally carry at work, he just would be in violation of policy. I think the "Unauthorized possession of a firearm..." one is the one I would go with.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

How about "Possession of an illegal weapon...etc." It reads well on paper but doesn't make a lick of sense--afterall, who carries a sawed-off shotgun or other NFA weapons (without a stamp)?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    "No weapons of any kind allowed on property unless that individual is a Law Enforcement Officer or you are authorized by the government to carry such device."

"No Weapons of any kind allowed on property unless authorized by a governing body to carry such device/instrument /weapon"

Civilians who obtain one of the following, CCW, CHP, CWP or whatever your state calls it aren't they issued by the government in most states.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; December 26th, 2006 at 09:43 AM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I promise your company didn't write that. Their insurance company did.
    God on earth won't change the insurance company's mind.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    "No weapons of any kind allowed on property unless that individual is a Law Enforcement Officer or you are authorized by the government to carry such device."

Civilians who obtain one of the following, CCW, CHP, CWP or whatever your state calls it aren't they issued by the government in most states.

Shorten that to:

"No weapons of any kind allowed on company property. Persons authorized by the government to carry weapons are exempted."

LEOs are assumed to be authorized. Removes distinction separating LEOs and CCWers.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Funny I had just changed it before I saw your post. I don't exactly know how to word it but the concepts their.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Shorten that to:

"No weapons of any kind allowed on company property. Persons authorized by the government to carry weapons are exempted."

LEOs are assumed to be authorized. Removes distinction separating LEOs and CCWers.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    I promise your company didn't write that. Their insurance company did.
    God on earth won't change the insurance company's mind.

AFS
    I know exactly who wrote it and it was not insurance company

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Shorten that to:

That is too obvious cause then people will start questioning why. I want to take my company through stages. First one will not be an obvious one to most and after they get used to that idea more work can be done in that area.

Also look at it thise way: LEO are not employees. This statement is taken out of the employee handbook. Same thing for authorized by the government: sounds a bit FBI-ish and would spark too many conversations too early. Keep in mind that I live in California so I have to THREAD lightly.

In regards to the other questions: In CA it's illegal to posses concealed weapon outside of your house/property so I think the first statement covers it best:
    Unauthorized possession of firearms or any other dangerous weapons, at any time, on premises owned or occupied by the company
    But still keep them coming cause there might be something better that comes up or it might help someone else who is in a similar situation to mine.

Thanks Guys!

No Illegal Weapons...

is probably your best route...but if it is a BIG company, with lawyers writing the rules (and probably true)...buy a lottery ticket...
    If you get this changed it will be your lucky day...

Can you have a CCW in your car?...That's a start...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    is probably your best route...but if it is a BIG company, with lawyers writing the rules (and probably true)...buy a lottery ticket...
    If you get this changed it will be your lucky day...
    Company is not that big and its privately owned. The owner is ex air force, and there are quite a few other people in there that are old time military brats or have been around guns at one point or another. This is what I'm banking on amongst other things.

Can you have a CCW in your car?...That's a start...

ret
    Yup, that's where my carry weapon goes when I pull into the parking lot (parking lot is public so I don't have to worry about the policy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links