Moving from New York to Delaware. How hard is it to transfer pistol permit???

This is a discussion on Moving from New York to Delaware. How hard is it to transfer pistol permit??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm moving from New York to Delaware soon and I was wondering how hard is it to transfer my pistol permit from one state to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Moving from New York to Delaware. How hard is it to transfer pistol permit???

Moving from New York to Delaware. How hard is it to transfer pistol permit???

I'm moving from New York to Delaware soon and I was wondering how hard is it to transfer my pistol permit from one state to another. I currently have 4 pistols on my permit.

2. Remove Ads

Depends on the state in question, and their requirements for application.

Some states have a grace period during which they'll recognize your old state's CHL. Some states you're coming from effectively declare null and void your CHL the moment you are no longer a resident. Some states require a 6mos+ residency requirement before even applying, during which time the lapse (or confiscation) of your prior CHL means you don't have carry rights for the duration.

Check with Delaware's application procedure. It ought to be spelled out, in there, as to what the requirements demand of you, whether there's a grace period, etc. Also check New York, regarding the null&void aspect upon leaving the state. Can't imagine NY would be anything less than up-front about swiping that thing out of your hands the instant you dip a toe elsewhere, but that's just a guess.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I believe you will need to apply for a DE carry permit. DE does not require a permit to own/possess handguns. I also don't believe DE list guns on their permit.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Just read the Delaware requirements on Handgunlaw.us. What an ordeal! You have to publish in a newspaper that you are applying for a Concealed Carry Permit! Then you have to have questionnaires from 5 people.

Why don't they just make you put a sign in your yard?

Wow! What a bunch of ... I'd better stop before I get penalized.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Just read the Delaware requirements on Handgunlaw.us. What an ordeal! You have to publish in a newspaper that you are applying for a Concealed Carry Permit! Then you have to have questionnaires from 5 people.

Why don't they just make you put a sign in your yard?

Wow! What a bunch of ...
    And I imagine the liberty-haters who put that junk in place actually imagine violent criminals will adhere to the application process, will not simply snigger in their sleeves at such lunacy and carry anyway.

Is there some new LiberalWater drink on the market that I haven't heard of? One would think all these hacks walking around drunk on their own power trips would have been outlawed years ago. But then, it's the hacks on power trips who pass such laws in the first place. What a conundrum.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links