Ever get spooked?

Ever get spooked?

This is a discussion on Ever get spooked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was at a gas station yesterday (Xmas day). It was about 21:30 and place was more or less empty. It was well lit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ever get spooked?

So I was at a gas station yesterday (Xmas day). It was about 21:30 and place was more or less empty. It was well lit but the second I paid (at the pump) and started filling up I just got this weird feeling that raised the hair on the back of my neck. I couldn't identify anything that would have been the cause of that but I did end up untucking my shirt so that I could have a better access to my IWB holster. I finished filling up and even though I scanned the area multiple times I could not figure out what spooked me....

When I got home I cracked open a beer and chuckled about it but I still can't shake that feeling that something was wrong... am I just getting paranoid? Anyone else had a feeling like that that they can't explain? I've been carrying for about 2 months now and its the first time that something like this happened to me.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I don't think you were being paranoid. God gave you those instincts for a reason: self-preservation. Listen to them.

One of my buddies has a saying for situations like that: "That's about a zillion years of evolution trying to tell you look out".

Ignore intuition at your (great) peril.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've had those moments before. I usually chalk it up to me just being jumpy, but I still try to gtfo as soon as I reasonably can.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    got this weird feeling that raised the hair on the back of my neck. .
    You sure its not the Dead
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2
    Ignore intuition at your (great) peril.
    Ditto times about ten thousand!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - what I also call the ''Spidey sense" - is something not to ignore. Sometimes it may come on for little or no reason but best always to heed it.

Of course - could all be down to a bit of gas following yesterday's chilli - still best heeded nonetheless!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If it helps, you're not alone.

I have a lake lot in BFE with a travel trailer on it. Nearest neighbor is several hundred yards away, and there aren't too many of them. The distance between us is covered with trees.

So a couple of weeks ago I'm spending some time up there with my two dogs. About 10 pm I step out of the trailer to get some ice from the cooler for another .. ahem.. cocktail. I turn toward my neighbors place and I see a scene from Jason or Nightmare on Elm Street....

The fog is thick enough to cut with a knife and my neighbors porch light is just enough to backlight the trees and fog between us. Now here I am inside a chain link enclosure with a .45 strapped to my backside and two dogs that will alert at the drop of a hat... and the hair on the back of my neck was standing straight up!

Like you, I chuckled at myself when I got back inside.

Lead Moderator
    It happens to all of us I imagine. better to be spooked , than unaware.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

soon or later we all have times like this. the smarter ones in the group will have a gun on them. others will have their gun in the car or back home.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    Forgot to wear the tin foil hat again, didn't you?

Actually, always go with those feelings, most of the time it's safer to be cautious!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Always listen to that feeling. If you're wrong, so what, if you'r right you just might live!

Oh, and listen to your wife as well. One afternoon while offshore in our sailboat with a mild forecast while headed south to the Keys, my wife says "Drop the sails, NOW".

Why, it's hazy but the winds are only 5 knots and forecast is good. But we were motoring anyways so, keep the wife happy. Just got the sails down and out of the haze came a horizon to horizon squall line from hell. Opening gust was close to 100 mph and nearly knocked us down. Was followed by a long miserable stormy night. If I'd delayed another 5 minutes it'd of been life threatening instead of uncomfortable. So I listen to my wife as well!

Oh, NOAA claimed we had 10 to 15 knots all night. Yeah, right....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

ok... so I'm not nuts... well ok, maybe I am but not crazy nuts :)

Thanks guys. Ignoring the "spidey sense" at ones peril is a good point. I just felt like an idiot at the gas station untucking my shirt. Now that I know I'm not alone I guess I won't be calling a shrink :)

Maybe there was something or someone there, and your situational awareness and the actions you took (untucking your shirt and looking around) made them re-think their plan...

You did the right thing. If you pulled out the gun and started shooting at stuff, then you may have to be looked at...
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    One of my buddies has a saying for situations like that: "That's about a zillion years of evolution trying to tell you look out".
    +1

Now bolting into the bathroom to hide would be paranoid (to say nothing of being revolting, as we all know what those puppies are like). But elevating to condition Yellow+ or Orange based on a feeling and being in a position of risk (alone, dark, occupied doing something with eyes down on the activity) is certainly warranted and easy to accomplish. If nothing happens, you're safe; if something does, you're better able to react. Win-win. Anything else potentially puts you behind the curve.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That Yellowish-Orange Feeling...

keeps you out of the 'White' area...it's all good!

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links