Open carry with IWB or is it still concealed?

This is a discussion on Open carry with IWB or is it still concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, first off let me say I am a new member, but I have been lurking for a while. And I have learnt much ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nortelrye
  • 1 Post By 19Kvet
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny

Thread: Open carry with IWB or is it still concealed?

Hello all, first off let me say I am a new member, but I have been lurking for a while. And I have learnt much from this forum. Thanks for all the knowledge here.

I carry IWB due to work. My work requires bending, twisting, sometimes laying and other positions (Maintenance work). I like to carry IWB so my firearm don't get banged around, hung up or flop around on my hip. I also like the comfort of felling it to know its still secure. My cover garments are usually covering it, but my question is..... If I am in public and my grip is exposed is that brandishing or considered open carry? The holster is IWB but I'm not actually trying to conceal the entire gun. For EX: I was eating, carrying at 4:00, sat down and my grip was exposed from waist band. Is there such a thing as hybrid carry? As open carry with IWB holster?

My holster is a Blackhawk pocket holster with a Galco IWB belt clip sewn to it. Kinda the best of comfort from the soft Blackhawk and the security of the belt clip.

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

If you're worried about brandishing, check your state's laws. You should know them well if you're going to carry a handgun.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

I do that all the time .. Gun is cover but you can still see it if you look.. Again check your laws ...

From what I read OC is legal in GA if you have a permit to carry so your are covered ... You are just now OC a gun for the time it is exposed ... Now FL/TX would be a dif situation ...

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news Frequently Asked Questions

Often times I will have a gun owb in a tight hugging holster with a jacket or shirt over it .. Tec I think it would be open carry as you could see the gun if I moved this way or that .. But unless I am in a bar I am fine .. OC is legal unless in a bar in AZ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Last week I was out and about and saw a guy OCing in a store. He had an IWB holster with a sweatshirt tucked in between the pistol and his body- expressly exposing the grip of his pistol for whatever reason (I didn't ask) Regardless, it was obvious that he was OCing the pistol (which is legal here). I don't think that's what you're asking but it illustrates the difference between someone with an IWB holster OCing and someone with an IWB CCing and that firearm becoming exposed.

If you're attempting to CC and the grip is exposed by accident then look at those laws for your state- many define that situation. If your state allows OC then it shouldn't matter if you happen to transition between the two in public (but check that out too in order to be safe).
    WrongRecroom likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

There is no such thing as hybrid carry. If the gun or part of the gun shows it is NOT concealed carry. As nortelrye says, get to know your own state laws. Here is one place you can start: Handgunlaw.us
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

GA is open carry (w/permit)...in the waistband with your cover shirt off IS open carry.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter400 View Post
    Your state's statutes ought to clarify that "not concealed" essentially means it's visible to others. But then, this is the standard, normal English definition anyway.

If in a IWB holster, I'd say that so long as someone can't clearly see the sidearm given that you've got a covering garment over it (ie, a jacket), then you're good. But, still concealed simply because they haven't been able to discern that you're carrying in spite of it being right there in front of them (visually)? I wouldn't bet on that being the case, short of confirming your state statutes distinguishing concealed carry versus open. The risk of getting it wrong is, of course, in the area of the brandishing, menacing, GATTTOTP statutes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    If you are exposing the gun (not just printing) I believe it is open carry. With that said, as long as you have a valid GA Weapon's Carry License it is perfectly legal to do so in GA. The question is, do you really want to be open carrying. If you don't mind it, your license covers you. If not, there is a lot of great advice on this forum on how to better conceal.

Check out Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org for more good information.

Welcome to DC!

VIP Member
    It is going to depend on your state laws. Most states consider if it can be recognized as a gun, it is considered OC. You might want to check the link for more information for OC in GA.

Georgia | OpenCarry.org
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Per handgunlaw.us, on the Georgia page
    quote: Open Carry is legal in Georgia but you must have a valid Carry Permit/License to Open Carry. Places as
    listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry.
    NRA Life Member

The law in Nevada is:

NRS: CHAPTER 202 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY
    NRS 202.3653  Definitions.  As used in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
    1.  “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded handgun which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

Ken

In the summer golf shirt tail out covers the IWB Sig P-220 in its Royal Guard holster. Winter , early spring and fall golf shirt tucked in exposing the the P-220 in it's holster but all that is covered by a button down the front sweater worn all day.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

I am not an IWB fan, fortunately when i was at home and had my weapon IWB and putting on my shoes, my gun fell completely out of this holster and onto my living room floor, thank goodness I was not in public. So full concealed tight carry is still my dilemma for this particular weapon.

Links