Encounter outside of Walgreens

This is a discussion on Encounter outside of Walgreens within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife and I are coming out of Walgreens mid afternoon and I notice shabby couple (man and woman) standing about ten feet to the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Encounter outside of Walgreens

Encounter outside of Walgreens

The wife and I are coming out of Walgreens mid afternoon and I notice shabby couple (man and woman) standing about ten feet to the side of the door up against the building, but was raining, and a light drizzle now so not completely out of the norm. We are parked in the first spot outside the door (score) and as we reach the car the male says ďCan I ask you a question?Ē I look back and they are both still against the wall a good 25-30 feet away and against my normal behavior I respond.

Next thing I know this guy starts coming towards us, not quickly but enough to put me on alert I give a look to my wife and she quickly gets in the car and gets her cell phone out. Now this guy is coming around the driverís side talking about how no one will even talk to him. Now I open the door to put a block between us and he stops about five feet from the door. He starts giving some sob story and wants a ride about five miles down the road. Sorry but in this day and age if I donít know you, you wonít be getting in the car with us. I politely say sorry, and now he takes another step towards the door. Alarms start go off in my head now, my hand drops to my back pocket, thumb under my cover shirt right below my trusty CZ P-01. He continues on about it being just a short drive down the road.

No more mister nice guy, I tell the guy look buddy I donít know you, youíre not getting in the car. Then I ask him to back off, politely but firmly. He stands for about a second or two and turns and heads back to his companion. I get in the car and see my wife has her phone unlocked and the dialing keypad up.

It was probably just nothing, but it is nice to see an impromptu drill go well, aside of my stupidity of responding to the initial inquiry.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't call responding to him stupid. I have no problem at least hearing people out in case I'm able to (safely) help them.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It's sad that we have to live like this but, I would do the same thing. It' a tough call. You just can not trust strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsbjax View Post
    .....and against my normal behavior I respond..
    Never do this. There is absolutely no good that can come from it for you and there is certainly bad that can come from it.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

All's well that ends well I guess. I think you and your wife handled it as well as you could have under the circumstances.

Kudos to da boat o youse.

That is when you politely tell him to get a job so he can afford his own car
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Ė Gen James Mattis USMC

On the other hand, my car battery died in a parking lot in the dead of winter. I walked up to a mom in a minivan and asked if she happened to have jumper cables. She said no and looked scared. I just wanted needed a quick jump to get going.

“In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920Ė2006)

There is no way a stranger is getting in a car with my wife an I. If its a woman who looks ok
    I would offer to make a call to get her help an stay there till it arrives. A guy no way. I carry triple A an a cell phone so does my wife no way would I approach anyone for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsbjax View Post
    The wife and I are coming out of Walgreens mid afternoon and I notice shabby couple (man and woman) standing about ten feet to the side of the door up against the building, but was raining, and a light drizzle now so not completely out of the norm. We are parked in the first spot outside the door (score) and as we reach the car the male says ďCan I ask you a question?Ē I look back and they are both still against the wall a good 25-30 feet away and against my normal behavior I respond.

Next thing I know this guy starts coming towards us, not quickly but enough to put me on alert I give a look to my wife and she quickly gets in the car and gets her cell phone out. Now this guy is coming around the driverís side talking about how no one will even talk to him. Now I open the door to put a block between us and he stops about five feet from the door. He starts giving some sob story and wants a ride about five miles down the road. Sorry but in this day and age if I donít know you, you wonít be getting in the car with us. I politely say sorry, and now he takes another step towards the door. Alarms start go off in my head now, my hand drops to my back pocket, thumb under my cover shirt right below my trusty CZ P-01. He continues on about it being just a short drive down the road.

No more mister nice guy, I tell the guy look buddy I donít know you, youíre not getting in the car. Then I ask him to back off, politely but firmly. He stands for about a second or two and turns and heads back to his companion. I get in the car and see my wife has her phone unlocked and the dialing keypad up.

It was probably just nothing, but it is nice to see an impromptu drill go well, aside of my stupidity of responding to the initial inquiry.
    Last week, on Best Defense on the Outdoor Channel, they played a scenrio called "Rest Stop" where an individual was driven, because the driver was sweettalked by the chick, then driven to a area, carjacked and killed, by thugs awaiting their arrival.
    Both you and your Wife did well, and came home safely.
    The above incedent may have been a similar setup, or maybe not, BUT, with theguy being adament about a ride, a 10 spot tossed his way, telling him to take a tazi, putting the car in Reverse and driving off may have been a happy ending too.
    MY SA would have gone into HIGH GEAR too. Either that, or totally ignoring the guy would have been good also.
    The Best Defense | Outdoor Channel
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I was TRAINED in such situations, to say, (in command voice), "NO THANK YOU!", never stopping, or pausing, perhaps changing your angle of march, (depending on the situation).

The logic being that "NO THANK YOU", is not insulting, it wont cause them to lose face in front of anyonee else. Also, if there is a shooting, its a lot better for a witness to say they heard "No thank you" before the gunfire, than anything else you would yell, and you are GOING TO yell something.

I do not like anyone like that approaching me or my family. I would do the same thing as you. I tend to make it a little more obvious though, just so the person gets the message that he has been warned.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

tag
    When I encounter the same type situation I say NO, BACK OFF. in a loud but not yelling voice. I've never had anyone attempt to come closer after that.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

I've been known to give hitchhikers a ride if I'm driving my pickup. I just tell them that if they want a ride, they can ride in the bed of the truck. I've even given an old(er) guy on a motorcycle a ride once and didn't have a problem with him getting in the car with me and my wife. It's called profiling... He had run out of gas and just needed to get to the next gas station which was probably only a couple of miles up the highway. He wasn't hitchhiking, but it seemed obvious that he had a problem with his bike. I probably would not not have done it if it had been some guy with a bunch of gang tats, but for a fellow old fart that just likes to ride motorcycles, yeah, I'll help out.

Would I be so generous if I'm not carrying? Probably not... Am I more likely to pick up clean-cut Anglos vs blacks or Hispanics? Probably... It's my gas, so I can discriminate whatever way I want.
    BenGoodLuck, Zralou and mano3 like this.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or penicillin...

I HATE CENSORSHIP !!!

More info about me

I've had the street bums approach me at gas stations. Of course, I'm always aware of my surroundings. One of the good things about the pay-at-the-pump stations is that you really don't need to carry cash anymore, so if they ask for cash, I just tell them that I use a credit card for everything and don't carry cash.

Now, I did encounter one of them that definitely had some balls -- he said that there was an ATM in the store and I could get some cash from there. I just looked at him rather strangely, gave a half-laugh and said, "Nawh, I don't think so".
    BenGoodLuck and baren like this.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or penicillin...

I HATE CENSORSHIP !!!

More info about me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links