Boss Caught Violating Company Policy

This is a discussion on Boss Caught Violating Company Policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in a no-guns office. The rule was written at headquarters in anti-gun California, but applies to us in a company office in gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss Caught Violating Company Policy

I work in a no-guns office. The rule was written at headquarters in anti-gun California, but applies to us in a company office in gun friendly Virginia. Many of my coworkers know that I carry, including the office manager (my boss's boss), who is also a gun owner, even though he doen't have a CHP. Last week he found an unfired .22LR JHP cartridge laying in the parking lot and brought it to my desk, making a big public joke about asking if it were mine. My response was "My bullets are a lot bigger than that! And, by the way, you are violating company policy by carrying ammunition into the office." We both got a good laugh from it.

I'm thinking about approaching him to install small lockers in the office so that those of us who carry can secure our unloaded weapons there, since we can't leave them in our cars because we each have to use our personal car to travel onto a Federal installation several times a week. I'll have to study costs associated with that project so I can approach him from a position of knowledge.

Know The Answers...

before you ask the questions...and...tread lightly!

Advice is worth what you pay for it...mine is free!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    And asking for gun storage lockers in a no gun office doesn't seem strange to you?

First you'd be safer trying to get the company policy changed, even if you could get it changed to being site managers discretion....... That would allow the home office to stay gun-free if that is their wish.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

You could find that to be like pinning a big "kick me" sign on your back to the corp. office by asking for lockers. I guess I come from the "Don't ask, Don't tell" camp.
    Last edited by Robin Hood; December 26th, 2006 at 06:25 PM.
    "Guns aren’t toys! They’re for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    ..... <snip>......

I'm thinking about approaching him to install small lockers in the office so that those of us who carry can secure our unloaded weapons there, since we can't leave them in our cars because we each have to use our personal car to travel onto a Federal installation several times a week. I'll have to study costs associated with that project so I can approach him from a position of knowledge.

I don't agree with their policy but I respect their right to have it. If I had a no alcohol policy at my business and found employees storing booze in lockers... no matter how safely... I'd be furious and probably "clean house"

Just my opinion.

What do you do now?

I'm thinking about approaching him to install small lockers in the office so that those of us who carry can secure our unloaded weapons there, since we can't leave them in our cars because we each have to use our personal car to travel onto a Federal installation several times a week.
    What do you do now when you have to take your car onto a Federal installation? Presumably you can't have your gun in your car or on your person during those trips. Do you presently leave it in the office and then come back and get it? Or do you not carry to the office at all, because of the no-gun policy?

Assistant Administrator
    Somewhat repeating others - tread carefully - VERY carefully!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ya silly people, they wouldn't be "Gun Lockers" they'd be "personal valuables lockers". Or something.

Sounds like the fact that you carry is common knowledge there though...remember, it only takes one anti gun person or pro gun person that you tick off accidentally to drop a dime to the home office to make a pack a trouble for you.

Might want to loudly and clearly state that you would never ever bring anything against policy to work.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    What do you do now when you have to take your car onto a Federal installation? Presumably you can't have your gun in your car or on your person during those trips. Do you presently leave it in the office and then come back and get it? Or do you not carry to the office at all, because of the no-gun policy?
    You register it on the reservation, then carry it unloaded according to regs in your vehicle

Serious Joke

And, by the way, you are violating company policy by carrying ammunition into the office." We both got a good laugh from it.

It wasnt so light hearted of a joke at my company.. The company I work for sucks major squibs in expensive barrels lol They canned someone over loose ammo in their personal vehicles cup holder... They said even spent ammo would constitute the same offense of company policy and for everyone to be vigilant of any trash in thier vehicles..

I guess when u need a reason to fire someone anything will work!

fired round fires employee haha that would be a headline

be careful...
    +1 don't ask don't tell...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I reckon my question is "Why do all these people in your work place know your carrying?" I mean the whole idea is "concealed" , I don't trust anybody with that type of knowledge. All it takes is one ant-guner to find out and make you an example. I doubt if the locker idea would go well either. I worked from Corp like this in CA and you chance them labeling you as a trouble maker. I would go into work tomorrow and tell everyone that your wife made you sell all your guns to re decorate the kitchen, and tell them how upset you are but she's the boss. You will look like a wimp but hey you can still take care of business and nobody expects a thing. Just an idea?

Quote Originally Posted by kf4uel View Post
    It wasnt so light hearted of a joke at my company.. The company I work for sucks major squibs in expensive barrels lol They canned someone over loose ammo in their personal vehicles cup holder... They said even spent ammo would constitute the same offense of company policy and for everyone to be vigilant of any trash in thier vehicles..

I guess when u need a reason to fire someone anything will work!

fired round fires employee haha that would be a headline

How is that policy written??? Dang, spent ammo is is against the policy?

Would that mean in a no smoking office you could be fired for having cig butts in the ashtray of YOUR car????

Really ticks me off that people can smoke around me in public places, but I can't carry my CONEALED firearm??? Theirs will kill me eventually too. I think we need a smoking permit now!!

Funny how our right to bear arms is in the Constitution, but it is challenged the most. I hate smoking!!!!!!!!!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

+1 on don't ask don't tell. It is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Thread lightly, if the company is looking for reasons to terminate employees, they may see you carrying as an opportunity and call it a " work place violence threat."

Some of your responses to my post ask questions of me.

How do so many people in the office know that I own guns and carry concealed? When I took an interest in self defense gun ownership and concealed carry a couple of years ago, I talked to some of my coworkers who were gun owners, and I kept those individuals informed, as part of informal water cooler chit chat, as I moved through the steps of acquiring defensive handguns and getting permitted. I even took my immediate supervisor to the range to introduce him to handguns. No harm so far, but then it became a source of office jokes. If I was in disagreement with someone in a meeting, somebody else might say “don’t piss him off or he’ll shoot you.” It was intended, and taken, lightheartedly, but the result was that nearly everyone in the office found out that I carry concealed when not at work. I've asked certain individuals to stop making jokes about me killing coworkers. Now I try to downplay the whole thing and it is dying away as a source of others’ conversation and comments. I guess I would approach the whole thing differently if I could have a "redo."

Someone else asked what I do with my gun now, since I can’t bring it to work and I can’t leave it in the car if I have to drive onto a Federal Installation as part of my job. Well, “officially,” I don’t bring a gun to work; I state that firmly whenever some implies differently, but it's a boldfaced lie. The truth is I do carry during my commutes, but when I get to work, I lock the unloaded gun into a Lifejacket and then lock that assembly into a briefcase which I carry to my desk. The keys to the briefcase and Lifejacket are left in the car, so when I’m at work the gun is not available to me or to others, complying (IMHO) with the intent of the company policy but not the letter of their law.

Now, why would the office manager approve the installation of lockers? He’s gun friendly enough to understand the issues from my perspective. There is a closet in our building, separate from our office, which is part of our lease. It used to house surveying equipment, but now stands empty. It would be a great place to install the lockers so that concealed carriers wouldn’t have to enter the workplace with their guns. About 10 percent of the employees have permits. About 5 percent would make use of the lockers (percentages are my estimates).

Another (safer) option I’m considering is to approach the owner of an existing rental storage business, which is located just outside the gates of an Air Force Base and the Federal Installation I do business with, to suggest that they convert one of their closet sized storage units into smaller lockers, either coin operated or monthly rental. They can probably generate more income from that space with individual lockers than they do now with one storage unit. And with the thousands of employees coming through those gates everyday, I'd bet they'd be able to rent several dozen lockers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links