Age of Concealed Carry People

This is a discussion on Age of Concealed Carry People within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading another thread about the age of people and what gun they carry and it was crazy to me that there are very ...

View Poll Results: How old are you? (Only if you CC)

Voters
429. You may not vote on this poll
  • 18-29

63 14.69%
  • 30-39

45 10.49%
  • 40-49

98 22.84%
  • 50-59

108 25.17%
  • 60-69

91 21.21%
  • 70-79

21 4.90%
  • 80+

3 0.70%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Age of Concealed Carry People

Age of Concealed Carry People

I was reading another thread about the age of people and what gun they carry and it was crazy to me that there are very few younger people that carry. Also, (no stereotyping intended) many of the older folks are not only carrying but visiting forums online and posting about it. Typically the younger generation is more computer savvy but doesn't seem to be the case on here. Just curious as to any thoughts on why younger people don't carry?

2. Remove Ads

Older folks realize that no one is going to look out for them except themselves. Younger folks think the government will protect them.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I can't speak for younger people but I rarely carried when I was younger. I was lean, fit and was usually in Daddy-mode when I wasn't on duty and didn't feel a need to do so. Now that I'm solidly middle-aged I find that while my GI Joe kung-fu grip and Jedi mind tricks aren't as effective as they used to be, a 230 grain ball round still travels at 900 feet per second (give or take).
    [B]"The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them" - William Clayton[/B]

I think that might be part of it. Im 21 and have already learned that gov won't be there when you need them (but they will be when you don't, often taking stuff from you).

Ok, I voted. I'm beginning to run out of age boxes to select. You should have asked "how young were you when you first started to conceal carry?".
    Parrisk, redmc and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Older folks realize that no one is going to look out for them except themselves. Younger folks think the government will protect them.
    I must disagree with that. I think younger folks are more likely to think it just won't happen to them. My sons, 23 and 26, both got CWP's before I did.
    Last edited by SCXDm9; February 24th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Some of us are wising up to the benefits of concealed carry. A few of my friends have gotten their licenses, as well ad almost all my relatives on my mom's side. Probably 20 in all, including my 80 year old grandma. I don't know if she actually carries, but jut getting the license is a step in the right direction.

I'm 22 and got mine just a few months ago. Money, and the fact that I lived on a college campus were two barriers preventing me getting one sooner.

Now that the money's flowing, I've already bought 3 guns since graduating in Dec. 2012.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

I was around 34 when I got my CC permit. I am 61 now.

I think perhaps the reason younger folks don't carry is they're still in the I'm young and invincible camp.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    I think it's two things -

1. Young people (especially males) think they are invincible. I know I thought that way.
    2. Young people haven't lived enough life to realize bad things can happen to them anytime, anywhere.

Generalization for sure, my 23 year old niece and her husband just took their class in TN to get their permits.

I do think that since carry has been liberalized in the last couple of decades that going forward we will see the progeny of this current generation carrying far earlier than we did. I know my son can't wait until he turns 18 and can OC in some states.

I think greater physical prowess as a younger person. Many people when they are younger are involved martial arts eastern or western traditions and as such tend to think in terms of hand to hand encounters.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I agree with young people feeling invincible as well the college thing. For me being in college and they money was something I just had to make happen but thats also since I live in a pretty rough area/town
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjcrosson View Post
    Typically the younger generation is more computer savvy but doesn't seem to be the case on here.
    Well, hold your ponies there you young whippersnapper. I'm 52 (and I'm sure that qualifies as old) and I'm an IT manager, and I was posting on Usenet using Pine on my CSLIP account back when your momma was still wiping your bottom!

OK, I kid. Sorta. Most of the people I see at the range (which doesn't necessarily mean they carry) are in the 40+ range, and many are older females. It might be easier for older adults to carry since they're usually just with family, and going specific places or doing specific things. When I was young and running wild with a bunch of friends trying to pick up chicks it would probably have been more difficult to deal with carrying a weapon.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

When I was in my early twenties, crime wasn't a local problem, so carrying wasn't even considered. Then came the riots of the 60's/70's and I figured that protection would be a smart move. I carried for twenty years before it became legal in TEXAS (as did most of our local folks). I'm 69 now, and seldom carry, even though I'm a prime target for trouble.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I started carrying regularly at age 13, both concealed and open. I got my first permit at 28, just after CO adopted its current "shall issue" system.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

I was recently home from Afghanistan a few weeks ago and went to my favorite indoor range almost daily. The 2 weekends I was there new CHL classes were being held. I would say that almost half the classes were women and people over the age of 40 appeared to make up most of the age bracket. I started carrying when I was in my mid thirties.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links