iowa conceal question.

iowa conceal question.

This is a discussion on iowa conceal question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In our concealed class the discussion of concealing in a city/public park was never discussed. So can I conceal my gun while I take my ...

Thread: iowa conceal question.

iowa conceal question.

In our concealed class the discussion of concealing in a city/public park was never discussed. So can I conceal my gun while I take my kids to a playground in Iowa? Thanks in advanced.

Also handgunlaws.us does not pull up on my phone so I cannot check out that site.

I do not think you can. But others may know more than I do.

This is from the site Handgunlaw.us

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
    Note: Some Cities and Counties are passing ordinances stating their property is off limits. They will post signs. The Iowa Attorney General in Opinion No. 03-4-1 stated:
    ….narrowly and find that the statute does not interfere with the authority of a city to exercise its home rule power to place restrictions upon the possession of weapons which apply only to buildings owned or directly controlled by the city….
    Handgunlaw.us 4
    If City/County Property is posted you can be arrested and be the test case. RKBA groups are working to get proper legislation to void this AG Opinion. Until then I would not carry on any City/County Property that is posted.
    724.4A Weapons Free Zones - Enhanced Penalties.
    1. As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, the
    real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
    2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may otherwise be imposed for the public offense. 94 Acts, ch 1172, 53

You'll find everything you need to know about state law here, papjess.
    http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/cool-i...ode&input=724., well except for the Board of Regents administrative rules which you can find here.
    https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/ACO/...le.681.9.1.pdf.

And for use of force here.
    http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-I...a=83&input=704

Yah, so the parks are good to go. You'll find in code 724 that Iowa's preemption law only covers actual ordinances, outright prohibition. It does not, however, cover resolutions against carry which is what some localities have passed. Resolutions, of course, may not carry any defined penalty so it's basically a treaspassing thing. We don't want your kind around here so git!

Check your local statutes and drop in to the Iowa Firearms Coalition forums IowaCarry.org. We keep track of specific local issues there.

BTW, we're having an IFC membership drive dinner in West Branch on April 12th. PM me if you'd like the specifics.

Welcome to DC, papajess.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516

Ex Member
    I think I read Iowa is the Meth capital of America. I would go armed EVERYWHERE

[QUOTE=SteelerFan;3140641]1. As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, thereal property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.

HOLY BEJEEBERS... within 1000feet of parks and schools.. wonder how many times a day that is violated just by CCW folks driving down a road and not realizing it.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I think I read Iowa is the Meth capital of America. I would go armed EVERYWHERE

You can carry in most parks... look for postings... check local ordinances where you live...

I live across the street from a State recreation area... public hunting... fishing equestrian trails... and, according to one of the park "rangers," meth labs in the woods... I always carry when walking my dogs there...

Missouri and Tennessee had more labs busted in 2012... so I think we have been beaten out of that title....
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

[QUOTE=Parrisk;3141989]
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan View Post
    1. As used in this section, "weapons free zone" means the area in or on, or within one thousand feet of, thereal property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.

HOLY BEJEEBERS... within 1000feet of parks and schools.. wonder how many times a day that is violated just by CCW folks driving down a road and not realizing it.
    It only applies of you commit a crime with a gun. It's an add on thing.
    Doghandler

We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516

What's the deal with Iowa anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    What's the deal with Iowa anyway?
    It's a good place to live. Even the crazies are more level headed that normal folks in some other states.
    Doghandler

welder516

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links