My thoughts on personal security

This is a discussion on My thoughts on personal security within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PT, That warms my heart. and again... great post, NaturalSelection....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on personal security

PT,

That warms my heart.

and again... great post, NaturalSelection.
    "Guns arenít toys! Theyíre for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

2. Remove Ads

thank you (to everyone) for taking the time to respond. i hope you have found something in my practices/recommendations beneficial. i absolutely loathe those human animals that prey upon the innocent, and i put a lot of active effort towards eliminating vulnerability. you are most vulnerable when you let your guard down. please, never let your guard down. feel free to mail me at Nathan@ConcealedCarryForum.com anytime.

NS:
    Damn good thread! Being alert and prepared are the things that give us a fighting chance to survive while protecting ourselves or our loved ones.
    =======
    "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"
    -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Words to live by.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Thank you NS! I've been carrying at all times, even in my work vehicle, despite company rules to the contrary. One day I may become jobless and alive, versus another local statistic. I don't carry in the office, but I work in a one-story building and my vehicle is 10 feet outside my office door. We've had three armed robberies at the mall across from my home (< 1/2 mile) in the last three weeks, 6 car burglaries in my complex since 12/20/06, 3 GTA's since 12/15 and 2 home invasions (neighboring complex). I live in a fairly mid-to-upscale part of central Florida which illustrates NO AREA IS IMMUNE TO VIOLENT CRIME.

My wife used to question why I take my gun everywhere I go. She no longer questions my choice. She now wants to go through the class, obtain training and purchase her own pistol! Hey, she hunts with a 12 gauge and impressed the hell out of my adult sons.

NS - your post is very timely and I appreciate your thoughts. Stay well & stay safe!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

As a relative newbie, I really appreciate the input, NS!

I thought what you said about practicing tactical moves was especially good. When I was a Police Explorer (late 70s), we got to go to the Tukwila Police firing range, shooting .38 specials. It was great fun! They had us doing various moves an officer may have to do: shooting around poles, using our strong AND our weak hands, down on the ground. Once I get my CPL and Ruger, I'm hoping to do that again, once my firearm and I get to know one another well, and I'm confident to try different moves and angles of attack.
    seattlekos
    "Live free or die." -- NH State Motto

...and i thought my military background and my family's "fairy tale" views on me having my weapon on me at all times was making me look like i'm crazy. i'm not paranoid... just aware and prepared. thanks for the boost and the reassurance.

the truth can only help

..and i thought my military background and my family's "fairy tale" views on me having my weapon on me at all times was making me look like i'm crazy. i'm not paranoid... just aware and prepared. thanks for the boost and the reassurance.

Distinguished Member
    These are excellent posts. My frustration is that I work on a military base and I cannot carry. Coupled with that is that I work four evenings a week and the base borders a very seedy part of town. Taking it to the armory every day is analgous to getting permission from the EPA to fart on federal lands.

Excellent post NS! I realized how lax I've become being away from this forum and the great advise. I know I will be checking in regularly from now on.

"Security", is a false sense of well being. It really shouldn't be in our vocabularyas it isn't real. You must make yourself safe by being alert/aware of your surroundings at all times. "Be prepaired at all times to defend yourself and/or remove yourself from a threatening situation before you are in-over-your-head". It happens that quick, sometimes even if you are alert. Be prepaired.

Senior Moderator
    I get criticized quite a bit for my "fanatic" gun ways.

I feel naked without my gun, and no, I don't let my guard down when I walk through my front door.

Perhaps I don't carry while I am at home, but I DO clear my home before I "disarm" and my gun is never farther than a few steps from my hand. Typically it stays on the coffee table. And by "clear" I mean checking closets, under the bed, shower, behind the book shelf, you name it.

I lock my doors when I come home and if anyone wants to get into my home they are going to have to go through either glass or a deadbolt, or through the wall. Either way, it will take them longer to get through any one of those materials before it takes me to get to my coffee table while I'm sitting on my couch.

At night, my Kimber goes to bed with me. I WILL NOT put it IN the nightstand. I might as well have it across the room. If it's in the nightstand and I wake up with an intruder at the end of the bed looking down at me. I've got about .5 of a second to realize what's happening, roll over in bed, open a drawer, draw a gun and fire before he gets to me... NOT happening.

That's why my Kimber goes to bed with me, and a tactical flashlight AND my cell phone.

My hand is almost always under my pillow when I sleep anyway. If I wake up to and intruder at the foot of my bed. I have that same .5 of a second to grasp something that's no more than 6 inches away, point and shoot. I like those odds much better.

I've practiced enough to get pretty darn good at drawing that flashlight and gun at the same time to both blind my target and check the target to be triple sure I'm not mistaken (although why anyone would be at the bottom of my bed staring at me while I'm sleeping is beyond me.)

It wouldn't take anyone with much of a brain to discover where I work, what I do, when I'm home, I can't control that. What I can control is my environment and perimeter. I don't care if people think I'm obsessive or paranoid... I have the most peace when I'm paranoid.

I said it before, i would not criticize you at all especially in todays world, it might not be enough, I generally carry 2 guns at a time and think i'm overdoing it, then i turn on the news

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Very well stated. Some would say we are more paranoid - but I prefer more prepared. I'm carrying every chance I get now, but I know that I am not practiced enough yet. Nothing but practice will cure that. Thanks for your insight.

My girlfriend calls it paranoid. Of course, I disagree.
    To hear her tell it, violent criminal attacks are so rare that we are actually protected by percentages. She tells me, "You're not going to get attacked; I don't know why you carry a gun."

(Yes, it's troubling.)

She knows that nothing she can do or say is ever going to make me give up being prepared. I just hope it doesn't end up taking a violent encounter of her own to convince her that "playing the numbers" and walking around unprepared to defend yourself is just stupid. Sure, it'll work for lots of people. But what about those who end up becoming the statistics?

Paranoid?

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me." I prefer the term Prepared.

My wife and I both have our CWPs. I carry everywhere I legally can - including in the living room. At least home invasion by crack-heads is running second to identity theft by crack-heads... welcome to Colorado Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by downrange View Post
    ..and i thought my military background and my family's "fairy tale" views on me having my weapon on me at all times was making me look like i'm crazy. i'm not paranoid... just aware and prepared. thanks for the boost and the reassurance.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links