My thoughts on personal security - Page 3

My thoughts on personal security

This is a discussion on My thoughts on personal security within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am always armed when I'm moving around. I have my Glock 19 on me right now while sitting at my pc. And I train ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am always armed when I'm moving around. I have my Glock 19 on me right now while sitting at my pc. And I train with it as often as I can afford to.

I know i am probubly a little late to the game but hey great thread! Somethign to really think about. I soo need a ccp . I wish ny state wasnt so hard to get one in.

My wife used to think that I was a bit overboard. However, this past few years with the way that things have been going in the world, she is finally coming around. In fact, she told me that I should go ahead and get my ccl. I have carried for years, just sans the license. After next week, I will be legal. I suppose that it is worth the $200.00 that it costs here in Missouri. At least I won't have to worry about it any more. My kids are already used to seeing me with a handgun around all the time. They have been able to shoot whatever I had at the time so the guns are not a secret or a mystery to them. Less likely for them to do something stupid.

not permitted weapons at work. so i carry mt keltec p32 nobody but me knows i have it. it is my always with me gun.unless i know i am going through a metal detector

I'm always carrying where it's legal, and do my absolute best to avoid being where it's not.

I carry my Sig-220 at all times in a IWP holster, a Sig 226 in .40 in a middle of the back holster, and a Kimber CDP in an ankle holster at all times. All are loaded with Ranger T ammo. Some people ask me if I'm paranoid, I reply the question is really am I paranoid enough?? I realize that mixing 2 .45's with a .40 is not the best in ammo compatibility. But is still better than no ammo at all. The fastest tactical reload is another loaded weapon. Btw my wife carries Glock 19, and my 3 sons carry Kimbers AT ALL TIMES. When we go out as a family, we expect the worse, anticipate the worse, and enjoy the the day to the fullest. One son is an EMT/fire fighter, one a fire fighter, and one in college to be a teacher. Thank GOD we live in a country with the 2nd amendment.

I don't carry concealed at all times for a very good reason.

The state I live in doesn't trust me enough.

Despite the years of military, firefighting and federal security I have under my belt, the Golden State had decided that they would prefer to keep CCW's scarce, to use as "Party Favors" and Campaign Contribution Generators.

Baaaaa!

(I do, however, have a Utah, and my wife decided she would rather spend her birthday in Utah than Napa.)
    Calccw.org
    ==============================

The right of self defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals, and whether the attack be made by Spain herself or by those who abuse her power, its obligation is not the less strong.
    James Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by iamasensfan View Post
    I don't carry concealed at all times for a very good reason.

The state I live in doesn't trust me enough.

Despite the years of military, firefighting and federal security I have under my belt, the Golden State had decided that they would prefer to keep CCW's scarce, to use as "Party Favors" and Campaign Contribution Generators.
    Maybe if you were a Kings or Ducks fan, you'd get some love.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan M. View Post
    Maybe if you were a Kings or Ducks fan, you'd get some love.
    You're right, theres never any love for a Sens Fan in the Greater LA area.

Look...the funky banana is here too!
    Calccw.org

The right of self defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals, and whether the attack be made by Spain herself or by those who abuse her power, its obligation is not the less strong.
    James Monroe

I don't carry concealed at all times for a very good reason. The state I live in doesn't trust me enough.
    I carried for 10yrs in California. It depends on finding a sheriff with a pulse and a conscience. In CA, that's not easy to find. If interested in heading to the sticks north of Napa, you can consider Mendocino, Colusa, Trinity, Humboldt, Siskiyou and Del Norte counties. They're fairly tolerant of concealed carry.

But, since it's a might-carry state, it's dependent on the whim of the sheriff. Sadly, CA requires having a valid reason, which implies someone else has the ability to judge whether a reason is sufficient ... and that's simply not possible. The mere fact you're interested and capable of doing so without turning into a multi-murderer should be sufficient. Yada, yada, yada.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I carried for 10yrs in California. It depends on finding a sheriff with a pulse and a conscience. In CA, that's not easy to find. If interested in heading to the sticks north of Napa, you can consider Mendocino, Colusa, Trinity, Humboldt, Siskiyou and Del Norte counties. They're fairly tolerant of concealed carry.

But, since it's a might-carry state, it's dependent on the whim of the sheriff. Sadly, CA requires having a valid reason, which implies someone else has the ability to judge whether a reason is sufficient ... and that's simply not possible. The mere fact you're interested and capable of doing so without turning into a multi-murderer should be sufficient. Yada, yada, yada.

Yup...Exactly. I live in a fairly CCW friendly county, yet I still don't have sufficient cause.
    Calccw.org

James Monroe

Yup...Exactly. I live in a fairly CCW friendly county, yet I still don't have sufficient cause.
    Of course you do. It's the twits.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Your mind is your greatest weapon-well said until the EHF moment!

Nice post
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Great post. It does well to condense a large ammount of information in a way that is easy to understand.

I would make a suggestion. While blending in with the crowd or walking down the sidewalk, Look everyone you can in the eye. It shows that you are alert, attentive, and confident. These things make you a less attractive victim, hopefully negating any need to go condition red in the first place.

Being in a wheelchair I am an attractive target to begin with, I work in a high crime area, and close alone after dark sometimes. When I roll out the door and lock the door, my head is on a swivel (spellcheck save me). Anyone in the parking lot or walking down the street gets a smile, direct eye contact, and a nod. Normally the homeless around here get a head swivel and a not today stare.

Set comfort zones around you. <30 feet get lots of attention, <60feet get acknowlagement. Don't just look, Most people in condition yellow focus only on their vision. If you focus with your ears as well you get an added buffer. Heavy footsteps get extra attention, running even more. And remember not all BGs are Human. I listen for dogs running as well. (its a problem in this area).

Thats all I got right now, As I said thankyou for the readers diagest version. I'll have the wife read this one when I get home.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    erase this
    Last edited by Dakotaranger; June 29th, 2007 at 04:49 AM. Reason: wrong place
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links