My thoughts on personal security

This is a discussion on My thoughts on personal security within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1- Always be armed Always, without exception. Trouble doesnít schedule an appointment before stopping by, and you should always be prepared for it. We donít ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on personal security

My thoughts on personal security

1- Always be armed
    Always, without exception. Trouble doesnít schedule an appointment before stopping by, and you should always be prepared for it. We donít expect our house to burn down, but we keep fire extinguishers anyway. We donít expect to wreck our car, but we click our seatbelts anyway. On that quick trip to the store we donít expect to be assaulted, but we had better prepare for it anyway else we place ourselves at the mercy of others.

Example #1- While living in North Carolina I was walking to my kitchen at 1 am. As I rounded the corner wearing only a towel I found myself 5 feet away from a crack-head who was trying to force his way into my glass back door. I had to then make a mad dash back to my bedroom to retrieve a firearm, temporary leaving my kidsí bedrooms between myself and the crack-head. Had I been properly armed I would not have subjected myself and my children to this vulnerability. Having learned this lesson, I now take a Fobus paddle holster and a Glock to the bathroom with me. A Fobus paddle works great in a tightly wrapped towel for that walk from the shower to your bedroom.

Example #2- In another incident I was loading my 2 year old daughter into her car seat in the back of my Jeep Wrangler when I noticed a look of fear on her face. She was terrified and pointing behind me. Instinctually I drew my handgun as I turned to find 4 men who had formed a semi-circle around me. Had I not been armed Iím quite certain that I would have lost my money, my vehicle, possibly my life, and worst of all most likely my daughter who was buckled into the back seat.

With a firearm you at least have a chance. If you donít have a firearm youíre at the will of those who do. Choose the largest caliber that you can shoot effectively and dress around it. Always, without exception.

2- Remain alert and aware
    No matter the situation, your first and best option is always to avoid trouble. This is possible only if you are aware of your surroundings. No weapon can protect you if you didnít see the first strike coming. Continually scan your surroundings and observe anything that appears threatening or out of place. Whenever possible, identify and assess a potential threat before it becomes a full blown threat. In the event that you cannot avoid trouble, at least you can prepare for it.

Remain aware while focused on other tasks. When you must pay attention to some other task (such as entering/exiting your vehicle) continue to scan and observe your surroundings. Itís easy to get distracted while loading bags of groceries or buckling your child into your car seat. In all reality these are the times when you should be paying special attention to your surroundings, as predators tend to prey on you when they know youíre distracted (see Rule #1, Example #2). I recently witnessed a lady loading Christmas packages into her SUV. She first buckled her child into her car seat, cranked her SUV to get the heater going, and then proceeded to load the packages in the back. When she finished she then took her cart 100 feet or so to the cart return, totally oblivious to anything that was going on with her child or vehicle. Although nothing bad happened, the gross vulnerabilities to both her child, her vehicle, and even to herself were inexcusable.

3- Practice
    Proficiency is critical to survival. Emergency situations rarely afford adequate time to think a situation through completely. Should you find yourself justified in using deadly force to stop an illegal attack you must be able to draw and fire your weapon instinctually and effectively without pause or delay from your own limitations or ineptness. Tactical maneuvers are just as important as marksmanship, and both should be practiced together. Practice marksmanship first. Once youíve mastered your ability to hit your target effectively, practice drawing your weapon. Practice stealth draws as well as speed draws. Once youíve mastered drawing your weapon, practice tactical maneuvers. Draw your weapon and fire two shots into your target. Reassess the remaining threat level, and then re-holster your weapon. Repeat this as many times as it takes to master this sequence with both good speed and good accuracy. Once proficient, set up multiple targets with varying ranges. Practice drawing your weapon, fire 1-2 shots center mass into each target, and reassess the remaining threat before re-holstering your weapon. Repeat this proceeedure as many times as you can. Donít try to rush speed. Speed will come naturally with practice. Purchase an air-soft gun similar to your carry weapon. Practice holding your air-soft weapon on target while you travel forward, backwards, laterally, and while you walk up and down steps. Once you master it with air-soft, repeat your training with your carry weapon. Once you have truly mastered tactical maneuvers with your weapon, continue to train. If you donít continue to practice you will lose the skills you worked so hard to gain.

4- Remain sober
    Not only do drugs (prescription, illegal, alcohol, etc.) slow your reaction times, they also hinder your judgment as well as your awareness (which violates rule #2). Anyone taking any type of mood altering drug that affects your judgement, vision, coordination, etc. should not be carrying a firearm anyway (which violates rule #1).

5- Secure your perimeter
    No matter where you are, secure your immediate perimeter. Whether traveling in your vehicle or sitting on your couch watching the game make certain that your doors are locked. Get a security system and arm it. Although youíll need to bypass motion sensors while youíre inside your home, at least youíll have door and window sensors armed. Small dogs donít offer much protection, but they tend to be the most aware and will let you know that trouble is coming before larger dogs sense it. The most ideal recommendation I could give would be two German Shepherds outside with a Pomeranian, electronic burglar alarm, and firearms inside.

Few parts of our routine make us as vulnerable as showering. While necessary, it focuses our attention as well as blocks our senses. Itís difficult to hear over the water, and difficult to see through the steam and curtain. This is why shower scenes are included in so many horror movies. When I shower I take a firearm and a dog into the bathroom with me (although the dog comes along on her own). I lock my bathroom door, keep a Glock on the toilet tank, and use a clear shower curtain.

6- Avoid crowds
    Sometimes this is obviously impossible, but when possible itís advisable. Bad things happen in large crowds, and most organized events have strict policies against carrying firearms anyway (in violation of Rule #1).

7- Face the threat
    Sit with your back against the wall so that you can see anyone who walks into the room.

Avoid urinals. While standing at a urinal not only is your back to the room but you're typically so focused on whatís directly in front of you that youíre completely oblivious to what anyone is doing directly behind you. Use a stall instead, and close/lock the door behind you. While this may seem like trapping yourself in, at least you'll be facing forward when you open the door to exit the stall, thus paying attention to anyone else in the room.

8- Blend in
    If you find trouble in a crowded place, try to blend in as much as possible with others without drawing any undue attention as attention draws fire and makes a stealth draw more difficult.

9- Avoid walking while talking on a cell phone
    Cell phones tend to make us oblivious to our surroundings, thus violating rule #2. We have laws against driving and cell phone usage for the same reason.

10- Keep strong arm free
    While carrying bags to your vehicle try to keep your strong arm free. In the event of a stealth draw itís much more conspicuous to sit your bags down to draw a weapon than it is to simply draw your weapon.

2. Remove Ads

Very well stated. Some would say we are more paranoid - but I prefer more prepared. I'm carrying every chance I get now, but I know that I am not practiced enough yet. Nothing but practice will cure that. Thanks for your insight.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

1- Always be armed
    Very good point. This struck a cord and I went digging through my old Email. This is from Sun, 26 Dec 2004 written by the folks at Rangemaster in TN via the Polite Society forum. (Emphasis mine)

Carry Your Gun

I have been teaching firearms use for 29 years now, the last eight years
    full time. I have trained around 1,000 military personnel, a few hundred
    police officers, and thousands of private citizens. In 2005, Rangemaster will
    graduate the 20,000th basic course student, plus I have taught another 1,000
    students in road classes all over the United¬ States.

A lot of my military and police students have been involved in shootings
    over the years, as that is in the nature of their jobs. When considering only
    the private citizen students, however, I know of almost forty who have been
    involved in shoot-outs with criminals. The students have won in every single
    case I am aware of.
    I may not know about every instance when a student
    defends himself, but I'm sure I know about most of them. Usually, one of the first
    things a student does after a confrontation is report back to the school that
    trained him.
    To the best of my knowledge, I have had two private citizen students who
    were killed by armed criminals after their training,
    in separate incidents.
    Both had one thing in common- they were not armed when they were killed. For
    whatever reason, both decided NOT to carry a gun on the fateful day, and both
    paid with their lives. I don't care how highly trained you are, a one-sided
    gunfight is a good way to lose if the other side is the one that's armed. One
    thing you will NEVER get to decide is which days you will need your gun.
    Someone else makes that decision, and you will only be informed at the last
    minute.
    That's OK, as long as you have your gear.
    www.rangemaster.com
    There is another reason why my gun is almost always on my hip. I have two small children at home. They are not curious at all about it. However, they have friends and I can't be around to 100% supervise.

Having your gun on your person is the ONLY way to be sure that no one else is fiddlin' with it. It is quite literally the safest place for it to live.
    "Guns arenít toys! Theyíre for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

Assistant Administrator
    Having your gun on your person is the ONLY way to be sure that no one else is fiddlin' with it. It is quite literally the safest place for it to live.
    And I may add - at all times legal - even when zero threat seems likely - which means you will never go for that gun, only to realize, oh crap - left it off!

No one can make appointments for emergencies.

Actually being armed is, if unable to escape trouble - about the only probable saviour in most cases. Dogmatic statement I know but I feel it to be true.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

NS: Very, very good list. Simple guidelines that can work wonders. Great post!

For me, it's one word: Radar. That means ... head on a swivel; paying attention; bouncing between Yellow/Orange as required to assess and react to threats as they arise; preparedness, with all sensors active and operational.

Don't be a fool. Don't be caught off-guard. Don't deliberately take yourself out of the fight before it has even started. To test your preparedness, think like a BG ... like someone who is actively scoping out opportunities, looking for weaknesses, testing the perimeter. Roll "tape" on various scenarios until you appreciate the threat risk and can correct any holes in the defense. Takes a few months (or more) of active scanning, eval and correction, but in the end you are better prepared, more relaxed, and still able to continuously be alert and capable of quickly putting into play the plan you've developed.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 26th, 2006 at 10:28 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well stated.

One of the first reasons that I chose to get my Michigan CPL, was that with it, I can buy a pistol with a standard NICS check at the dealer, rather than needing a purchase permit from the sheriff, and running back and forth between sheriff dept. and dealer.

After reading a lot on this forum, my thought process has evolved. The instructor of my class, a retired police officer, was adiment about carrying wherever legal for my own protection. And then finally, when I went before the gun board, I tried to avoid giving them the impression that I simply wanted to carry a gun on me at all times.... I thought that they might view that as a bit to gung ho, but both LE representatives, the State police officer, and the sheriff both looked at me wierd. As the sheriff was walking me out after I had gotten my permit, he told me to make sure I found a holster that really worked for me, so I would wear it regularly.

Since that day, last week, the only time my gun has been off is showers and sleep (Kept handy at both of those times though).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.... good info for us newbies....
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

My uncle once asked me "where do you store your gun?" He didn't believe me when I told him I stored it on my strong side.

The best part is that it becomes as natural as your wallet in your pocket.
    "Guns arenít toys! Theyíre for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

carry your gun. known how to shoot your gun. take your gun to the range offen. did i say carry your gun with you at all times.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    I've shared this before but a few years ago my instructor asked me if I carried all the time and at that time I didn't so I said, "no"!

He said "that's too bad"! "Why", I said. He replied... "because you probably won't have your weapon when you need it"!

I guess you all know how that comment wouldn't digest!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Great Post...Good Points...

I'm encouraged by reading how others stay armed while even in the home...

I cannot carry at school, a position I will have for another year, maybe two...my choice. Any other time, I have a weapon on me or within reaching distance. My wife is 'getting' there, but now, never even blinks if I move from the living room to the dining room table to eat, and my gun is moved from the end table to the kitchen table...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

NaturalSelection, that was a great post. Many of the well seasoned members know this stuff, but I'm sure many new members, or members that are new to self-protection can really benefit from your points. Perhaps this can be made into a sticky or highlighted in some way for members?

Assistant Administrator
    Well - have made it sticky for now at least - to make sure enough folks see it.

It is a very nice run-down of major points and for sure well worthy of reading by many - newb's in particular but as a refresher for others too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Great post. I myself always go armed while at home. I have my "home" holster and my "going out" holster. I refuse to be outside of arms reach of my handgun if at all possible.

If I need my defense gun at home right now, that doesn't mean that I need my defense gun down-the-hall-around-the-corner-down-the-stairs-on-the-refridgerator-now...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Unless I die in bed in my sleep I am sure my gun will either be on my hip or in my hand.

What a great post.
    Some very well reasoned and well thought out points.

My wife and I have had a few close calls and all have turned out well either because we were alert enough to see the threat before it became a problem or, we had a weapon on us that we were able to employ quickly to stop the threat.

An example: We always say we are each others back up and this is the incident that solidified that.
    We had taken the kids (when they were much younger) to McDonalds for lunch down in Theodore Alabama. We take turns being the look out when we are getting the kids situated in the car and this time it was my turn to get them in and buckled up.
    As I stood up from seatbelting my daughter in I saw my wife with her carry gun in her hand (a .357 snubbie at the time) and holding it at low ready. I turned to see a scummy looking individual about 15 feet from me who had obviously been walking up to me from behind while I was occupied. He had seen her gun and stopped in his tracks. We got in the car and left and reported it to the Sheriffs Dept.
    She's a great woman and a hell of a good shot.
    We are each others back up.

Thanks for the great post!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links