Bluetooth

This is a discussion on Bluetooth within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As we all know, any little advantage we harness can mean the difference between life and death or prison time and freedom. I had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth

Bluetooth

As we all know, any little advantage we harness can mean the difference between life and death or prison time and freedom. I had a thought today that I thought some of you on this forum might appreciate. Conventional wisdom tells us that getting the police dispatcher on the phone is something one should due ASAP (emphasis on ASAP) in a self defence scenario. When away from home, this will most often mean using a cellular phone. Unfortunately you'll also need to tie up one of your hands to operate it. I was given a Bluetooth wireless earpiece for my cell phone this Christmas, and the advantages soon became obvious. I can touch it once, say the word "police", and be in touch with the dispatcher immediately. I can leave the line open, and keep both hands ready/on my weapon if needed. Since I don't know anyone who is more effective one handed, I see this as a solid advantage. Also, I can talk on the phone while walking in a parking lot, etc., and "keep my head on a swivel" without restriction. Just thought I would throw that out there. You can get them for around $50 and they're great for driving also (not nearly so dangerous). Shoot well, stay safe!
    Last edited by riversdaddy; December 27th, 2006 at 06:15 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I agree 100% with everything you said regarding Bluetooth and it's effectiveness in that situation.

But I just can't bring myself to wear one. Not sure why, but they aren't for me. And I'm very tech oriented. 20 years in the IT business, but no bluetooth phone. Go figure!? I'll just have to call 911 after the fact.....hopefully.

I hadn't thought of that one.
    "Guns aren’t toys! They’re for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

Bluetooth is a great technology. My phone is tooth enabled! Did you know that it was invented in the south.....if it wern't it would be called blueteeth!! hahahahah Sorry, people from the south calm down, ease off the trigger, just joking.

I would wear a blue tooth headset if they were a little more stylish and possibly a little more discrete. wearing bluetooth headset can also scream "I have an expensive cell phone rob me!!" your thoughts?
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I use one occaisionaly while on the road for work, but never got comfortable enough with it to wear it constantly. Now, I just carry it in my pocket, and if I choose to use it, it's easy enough to put it on.

I like the thought of using it for the police though. Even if I had to reach in my pocket to grab it, that would be no worse than reaching for my phone, and then once it's on the ear, you're right about both hands being free'd up. great thinking!
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Thats a good point about them not being very stylish. Can't say I'd wear it all the time either. Maybe just having it around for those unavoidable "higher risk" (since we don't get into obviously high risk situations, right?) situations. Style counts very little when virtually alone in a wally world parking lot at 2300. I think as time goes on, they will become more commonplace. Technology has lost some of the "nerd" taboo associated with it only a few years ago, and seems to get mainstream real quick if it gives people an advantage/conveniance.

VIP Member
    Yup, I totally agree with you riversdaddy, I’ve been using one for the last couple months. It took a little while for me to stop being concerned about what people think. Most don't give it a second glance.

I had started carrying my cellular on my left side because I'm right handed. My thinking was, if I needed to call 911, I didn't want to use my gun hand to get the phone out. This is even better! Now, like you said, a quick push of a button on the headset and I'm on the air. You can do it so quickly, others might not even know you’re calling… that could be a good thing! Additionally, the dispatcher can hear not just you but everything else going on around you. That can be good too as all 911 calls are taped.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I want everyone to keep in mind that yes, while calling 911 is NEVER something to be given a second thought, we need to remember these calls are taped.

Depending on where you live and the local laws, this can work in your favor, or in the favor of some nefarious entity or group.

I'm of the mindset that if there is ever something that goes down, let it go down. I don't want to have to really worry about what might be said while the mic is in my face. You can always call 911 afterwards, give them your number, location, your descritpion, the fact that you need EMS and police ASAP and hang the F* up - then say nothing til your lawyer arrives.

Now, I'm not saying Bluetooth doesn't have direct applications to our group. By all means, they provide a distinct tactical advantage in certain scenarios. I just want to remind everyone of the "other side" of what can go down.

Be careful out there, guys... Technology works both ways.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The Idea Of Safety...

almost demands that one carry a cell phone in today's world. But if something were to happen quickly, I don't know that I would be thinking about dialing/pushing a button on anything but my Kimber safety...

Every time I see one of those 'ear' pieces, I think "Too much tech stuff." I just don't see me being plugged into my phone system like that...maybe I'm too old to appreciate the application.

For most of my working life, we didn't even have cell phones...except for those big box phones in the car.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I am involved in a negotiation with a BG the last thing I want is a 3rd party talking in my right (or left) ear. Most armed confrontations last only seconds and I want ALL that time to be between me and the BG.

Ok...so I think I am about to be in a confrontation so I call 911 so they can listen. Dude - how long do you think that would last with hundreds of people calling in so "you can listen."

I concealed carry to protect myself. Rule #1 - protect myself. Rule #2 contact LEO.

Just my thought...

mpitcock, perhaps you would like to debate Massas Ayoob about the wisdom of getting the police on the phone quickly, and keeping them on the line. Do what you want, but a smart person will do that if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by riversdaddy View Post
    mpitcock, perhaps you would like to debate Massas Ayoob about the wisdom of getting the police on the phone quickly, and keeping them on the line. Do what you want, but a smart person will do that if possible.
    If possible is the key word here. Isn't it true that most gun battles are "reactive?" That means that you are responding to a threat. How long is the average gunfight (if there is an average)?

Does Mr Ayoob teach a two handed draw where I am drawing my weapon with one hand and dialing a cellphone with another? I don't think so. When reacting to a threat I will place ALL concentration on survival...That is what a Smart Person will do if possible.

I am not saying don't call LEO....I'm saying that in most instances there will not be TIME to protect youself and focus on the job at hand and "call a friend." That is all.

I will call LEO at the earliest convenience...Since I'm still alive to do so.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    +1 mpit.

My immediate survival is far more important than calling the cops. Taking this one step further - if you call 911 as you see a developing scenario, if it ends with you having to defend yourself or someone else.... I don't want to think about the Hell you would go through with a civil liability suit for your "pre-meditated act." Unless of course you are lucky enough ot live in a state that protects us from that.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

If you had read my origional post (or perhaps re-read it), I eluded to the fact that it isn't that great to try to juggle a cell phone while handling a firearm. Thats why I think a bluetooth is a good idea. Also, there are literally thousands of scenarios where you can have the cops on the phone AND gun drawn but not yet engaging. If you need some examples of potential situations, just ask me, I'd be happy to provide them. I'm not saying that it's more important to call the cops than it is to protect yourself, because that would be stupid (I thought that would have been assumed, what with us all being smart and all). What I am saying is that it's a viable tool to have in your toolbox. If you don't like it, don't do it. Maybe someone will think to themselves, "hey, that would work nicely in my particular situation" and thats why I posted it in the first place. Also, if you're worried about what the 911 operator would hear in a shooting, maybe you shouldn't be shooting in the first place.
    Last edited by riversdaddy; December 27th, 2006 at 06:16 PM.

riversdaddy....I would LOVE to read your original post....

BUT YOU EDITED IT....at 5:15 - then you edited your above message at 5:16pm.

You changed the original message - shame on you.

I stand by my UNEDITED comments.

Thanks for the conversation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links