Sr1911

This is a discussion on Sr1911 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a ruger sr1911 that I carry daily with a shoulder holster. I am very confident with this weapon. I practice home and personal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sr1911

Sr1911

I have a ruger sr1911 that I carry daily with a shoulder holster. I am very confident with this weapon. I practice home and personal protection distances (no more then 25 feet) at those distances I can place bullets right next to each other punching big holes in the plywood targets. It is stock other then an engraving I had put in it. Is there anything I can do to this gun to be more of a tac driver. At 20 feet I am right at the bull but definitely in the area to be deadly but was just curious if there was anything I could do to the gun to help accuracy cause I know most of accuracy is training training training. Which I do and am very good with the weapon. Just want some insight

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

My buddy has same 1911. He shoots it better than any other pistol he owns.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

I can shoot it better then anything I have had its a great pistol was just curious if there was anything else I could do

Using Tapatalk

I would maybe get night sights or fiber optic sights. I have the SR40C. I think the factory trigger is the best...some people like to use Galloway Tactical replacement trigger. My only addition fir me will be the sights on mine.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

You know I was thinking the same thing the only thing that I would be able to do is upgrade the sights on it is that seems to be the only thing that needs to be changed

Using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If it doesn't have night sights on it, adding them would be a good idea. Other than that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fitch
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Yea I agree I do want night sights. And I agree do fix something that ain't broke. I may not hit the bull consistently but its on the edge or in the bull so about the size of a baseball everyshot

Using Tapatalk

You mentioned you can put the bullets next to each other out to 25 feet, you didn't mention how fast you are shooting, being that accurate is good, but for self defense it needs to be fast and accurate, Try practicing 2-3 quick shots at those ranges with 8"paper plates. That's combat accuracy. Or what i call minute of sternum accuracy. Have fun

You also don't say what ammo you're practicing with. Ammo can make some difference, but otherwise, I think you'll find the SR to be more accurate than you are at those ranges. You just need to continue to practice.

If you really want tighter groups, shoot match grade ammo and shoot from a rest. Not very realistic, but it puts the holes closer together.

I shoot free standing cause I'm a personal defense situation I'm not going to be bench resting. I practice with regular round nose ammo but carry hollow points. And it is a shot every 3 seconds average. I know I need to practice more. Just became a member at a range. I figured any further then 25 it wouldn't be considered personal defense in a jury's eyes. I just recently bought 1000 rounds so will be practicing a lot more

Using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Once you have replaced the sights, shoot it off of a bench rest. If you are putting all the rounds in a tight group. you know it isn't the gun. Then work on your shooting technique.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That's a good idea. I have never bench rested a hand gun I also just shot freestanding

Using Tapatalk

Love my 5" SR1911. Excellent value in relation to cost. Adding night sights to mine is on my list. Happy shooting!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Yea I love mine. It is something that is always with me and will always remain in the family.

Using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links