Lasers

This is a discussion on Lasers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning. I have a LC9 w/Lasermax on it. I just got my CC and am looking at holsters. Thought I would get some opinions ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Parrisk
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By NETim
  • 1 Post By fltsfshr
  • 1 Post By Parrisk
  • 1 Post By Chad0724
  • 1 Post By wjh2657

Thread: Lasers

Lasers

Good morning.

I have a LC9 w/Lasermax on it. I just got my CC and am looking at holsters.

Thought I would get some opinions on the laser and holsters..

I am a big guy, 6' 280. Played with a couple of holsters a friend has and the gun was visible. I need something that rides low, grip right at belt, to hide it better. Thoughts? I am looking at Alien Gear.

What is everyone's opinion on lasers? I grew up shooting, so not a novice by any means. It adds some bulk, but is the "point and shoot" worth it?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

6'2" and 285 and carry full size 9mm Beretta PX4 w/laser or Taurus 24/7. Here are my favorite holsters in order.

#1 custom shoulder rig. modified for a cant of about 45deg, bungee like cords that clip to your pants keeping the rig from moving

#2 Pistol wear Trumpcard Concealment holsters. Comfortable and versatile. Start carrying in comfort! | Pistol Wear nice versatile holster.. have used it IWM, Shoulder, and Chest.

#3 Sticky holsters from Remora - nice for IWB for the Taurus. Bad for the PX4 as the laser keeps getting turned on and kills the battery. Holster stays put until the belt or pants are opened .. have to keep that in mind when going to sit on the throne.

Still working out what is best for me and personally I like shoulder rigs..
    trying to keep it down to the same pistol the same holster the same carry location for muscle memory if things go bad.
    Kennydale likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Lasers are good as training aids. IF you are looking for the laser on your target you may as well use the sights. I use a Zach by Dale Fricke and can hide a full size Glock. For my shield which is a tad bigger than the LC9 I use a cheap Uncle Mikes Holster and it disappears. I am about the same size, maybe built differently though.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Lasers sound like a great idea. And perhaps, for some, they are. But I dont like them.

Instead of getting on target normally, and quickly, people, from what I have observed, look for where the laser dot is, then try to guide that dot to the target. Im not sure if this is coming through in print, but they put the gun somewhere out in front of them, see where the dot is, then try to guide the dot to the target, instead of simply doing as one would without a laser.
    fredg53 likes this.

"Chasing the dot" is not a good thing. Lasers aren't a substitute for a good trigger press, body index and the ability to focus on the front sight.

However, those in the know will tell ya that lasers are hard to beat when it comes to shooting moving targets in low light conditions. So I have a laser on my CC gun but I regard the laser as "just in case."
    fredg53 likes this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

I run a CT on my G19. I am a laser-believer. While I still know (remember?) how to use my sights, IMHO, lasers ease some firing-position contortions (flat on my back, behind cover/concealment, etc.) that would otherwise make precise shot placement almost impossible.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My carry gun doesn't have a laser on it but I do have a gen4 glock 19 with an internal laser I use it at the range. The laser made me change the way I hold a Glock when I shoot with it and consequently made me a more accurate shooter. I bought it to compensate for bifocals and it's worked very well.

fltsfshr
    tdave likes this.
    I collect all forms of disguised firearms. jewelry guns, wallet guns, and others. Most of my collection is pinfire from the 19th century. Have one and want to sell it, let me know.

VIP Member
    No longer have my LC9 nor have I ever used a laser. Below is a link for the maker of the holster I carried in. I do know they make holsters for the LC9 and will build it for one with laser attached. The quality of it was very good.

Home :: Jackson LeatherWork, LLC
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am a pretty good shot with a firearm....
    I got my PX4 used with a laser already on it.
    When the original battery died I found out that accuracy with the sights on the PX4 is a challenge.. and I have heard the same from other folks.
    I am working on the accuracy without the laser, but dang, it sure makes getting lead on target simple for this chimp
    tdave likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

I find it hard to see the LaserMax's red dot during the day - easy at night. Regarding the Alien Gear holster, you can see a picture of one made for the LC9 w/ LaserMax here.

I would never spend $350 bucks on a laser.. I would rather spend that money on ammo and range time so you can be accurate without a laser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Foxx Holsters are inexpensive and though i don't have one are raved about. They list the LC9 with a laser.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Well, I have Crimson Trace on both my Duty weapons (Sig 229 & 1911) and on my off-duty 1911s. I train mostly without the Lasers, using the iron sights. I will say, that during night qualification, my shot groups with the Laser were really, really better than the iron sights--quicker as well.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I have a laser for my GLOCK G23 but I never mount it. The laser on a handgun to me (I have been carrying and firing handguns now for 52 years) simply complicates my draw and shoot process. I do have a laser on my HD Mossberg 500 shotgun. I can foresee where, in close quarters, I may have to fire the long gun from the hip. The laser is ideal for that situation.
    molleur likes this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member
    I don't use them. Tried them before, but lots of time wasted chasing the dot, in an SD situation.
    Great for low light or night time, with practice out of position. Really don't think they are necessary. Just practice!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Links