Receiving permit within a few weeks, how to prepare?

This is a discussion on Receiving permit within a few weeks, how to prepare? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Illinois is finally deploying their licensing system starting tomorrow according to a press release, and the cards will be in the mail starting this weekend. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Receiving permit within a few weeks, how to prepare?

Illinois is finally deploying their licensing system starting tomorrow according to a press release, and the cards will be in the mail starting this weekend. I'm going to assume I still have a few weeks to go before I am one of the first to be licensed. A total of .04% of my county have applied, I will be a very scarce exception to the norm as the policy is implemented throughout the state. As the countdown timer becomes real, how I can I prepare?

I've spent the last few months shooting regularly to improve my fundamentals, am seeking IDPA courses and defensive schools to travel to, and am gradually fortifying my lifestyle to allow for a loaded weapon being stored in my home, vehicle, etc. But what else is there? As thousands of people who have lived CCL free their entire life are becoming acquainted with the system, what are some things worth learning, worth investing in, or worth looking into as I wait for that plastic card?

VIP Member
    Do you have a good holster, are you wearing it at home, getting comfortable with it. Ask a friend to come over and see if they can see it ( see if you are "printing").

glad you will have it soon!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I will also add have a criminal lawyers number on a card in your wallet if you do ever have to defend yourself with a gun .... Will pay off a lot .. Know what to say and not say if you have to call 9 1 1 for a shooting and what to say and not say to the cops ... Short and sweet work best " I was in fear of my life .. I dont feel well I need to go to hospital etc ... " and of course never swear etc..

Buying a blue gun or the such to practice holster draw is great and a laser trainer gun can help with this as well...

And also know you may have to find bigger pants and a better belt to carry.. Find out what carry works best for you ( what do you do for a living and thus what works best for that ) ...

And of course know that you may end up with a box of holsters and even guns trying to find the best one for carry ...

Also to me getting a permit is a change in mindset if you were a hot head before ( ie fliping people off in traffic etc) that should be something to change ..Not saying your are but needless anger and guns never mix well ...

Know your states law very well too.. Know what the laws are on pulling your gun and if it accidently shows.. Know what the laws are on keeping a gun in the car etc ... And know the law on church/bank/bar carry these are usally the top three weird ones for carry .. Know if no guns signs have the force of law and if so what signs are legal and what are not

Good luck and congrats
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    X2 on the lawyer phone number. I have a lawyer friend that I shoot and teach with. Just in case. they say no plan is a plan to fail.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Wyatt Earp

Holster: Been wearing my Blade-Tech IWB around the apartment to get used to it, had to sand off some edges on it to get it more comfortable.
    Belt: Upgraded to a bullhide leather one.
    Pants: I have a 26 inch waist, just about everything has some excess room.
    Blue gun: Check.
    SIRT laser gun: Check, addicted to this darn thing.

As for laws, Illinois has been very good about outlining the various GFZs so I'll be spending time mapping out the less obvious ones.
    Lawyer: Have one on stand-by, will write his number onto a card for my wallet.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    SIRT laser gun: Check, addicted to this darn thing.
    Holey moley! For that kind on money, I would just buy several hundred rounds of practice ammo...

VIP Member
    Pants: I have a 26 inch waist, just about everything has some excess room.
    Don't they feed you in IL? I need to get on your meal plan. ( I guess too much cheese n beer up hear in WI>)
    Wyatt Earp

I'm happy that ISP is finally done dragging their feet. Here's what's on my prepare list;
    - printed booklet of IL law pertaining to CCL
    - no guns no money business cards
    - phone numbers to some local lawyers
    - good belt and even better holster
    - BRAIN and its thinking cap...seriously!

I think that we are the pioneers here and it is our duty to prove the IL crooks that we can exercise our rights in a safe way. Is that gun concealed if it's in an ankle holster and you're wearing your Chicago capri pants? Nope, don't want to be the first to find out. Can I go inside some store with a non-standard no guns sign? Nope, don't want to be the first to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Don't they feed you in IL? I need to get on your meal plan. ( I guess too much cheese n beer up hear in WI>)
    As soon as our celebrity will come back we'll loose some more weight. But hey, our phones are free.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

VIP Member
    If you haven't already, invest in a good holster and belt designed for a gun. Also start carrying it on you around the house.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As the countdown timer becomes real, how I can I prepare?
    Generally speaking, for most folks I'd say some of these points are worth doing:

• Re-read the state statutes, exceptions, and all municipal/county ordinances that apply. Then, re-read them again. If questions, speak with a competent attorney or long-time instructor who's qualified to answer.

• Know where you may and may not carry.

• Prepare a printed cheat-sheet of these statutes to carry with you in the car, on your person, at least for awhile, until all the state and local police and sheriffs have got the new laws down pat. Last thing you want is to be unceremoniously cuffed and stuffed without cause, without recourse.

• Know your own holster, carry gun and other gear intimately. Carry around the house, beforehand, until you are comfortable.

• Practice dry-fire drills, presentation drills, drawing drills from concealment, until you are reliably and consistently getting it right.

• Hit the range with your full-house "carry" ammo loads and run a few boxes through, to ensure you're comfortable with the "real" stuff. Perhaps even get a couple of large country hams or similar meats (expired/old from the butcher, if you can, as it'll be on the cheap or free), then tear 'em up at the range. It'll get you well grounded as to what you're really signing up for, should you ever be faced with the need to fire upon an assailant. Presumes you're relatively new to a carry sidearm at all. Ignore, otherwise.

• If you've got a car recording device and a personal recording device, know how to use them effectively and discreetly. Record thyself in any encounter, for at least the next year, until everyone's got a good handle on everything. You never know.

• Get a good, locked storage device for your vehicle, and nail your procedure for transferring your carried weapon into and out of that storage device. Find a procedure that'll work within your state/local statutes and their little twists.

• Find decent training opportunities, anywhere in the country. Some good instruction exists.

• Find a good attorney, one who's competent in the area of self-defense law and with a very strong record in the defense of self-defense cases.

• Consider the utility of an organization such as Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, which can assist you in arranging your initial legal steps in case you find yourself in a situation in which you need legal representation in a SD case. At least for the first year while you get your bearings, this might be a very useful thing, after which you can reevaluate given all that you and your attorney have discussed.

• Take some time to review the pros/cons of the responsibility: To Carry or Not to Carry: What thinking did you go through? .

• And, lastly, if you haven't done so already, pick up a copy of Ayoob's book, In The Gravest Extreme.

Congratulations on the new-found responsibilities! Use it wisely.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 27th, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
    Ianthin, tcox4freedom and RickyD like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

^^^^This

ALL of the above info is right on and should be followed. You may feel some excitement right now waiting for the card. I remember when I got mine. I strapped my rig on and prepared to leave my home for work. This is when it really hit me just what a HUGE responsibility it is to legally conceal and carry the weapon. My excitement level went way down and my level of care, concern, responsiblity, and thought rose through the roof. It is a hell of a privilege.
    I wish you safety and well being. I hope you never have to pull the weapon. I hope if you do have to pull the weapon you absolutely end the horrible situation with well placed shots.
    I'm glad you will be one of us out on the streets.
    All the best.

Congrats! My standard advice: the "Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" by Massad Ayoob.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Looks like the first Illinois residents are receiving their permits in the mail as of yesterday, the clock is ticking. Spending this morning reshaping my kydex holster, hitting the range this week before I go on vacation for Spring Break. I may come home to my permit in the mailbox.

What about furthering my education and certifications? My CCL class was incredibly thorough and included elements from the Utah class as well as NRA certifications, and I'm hopefully going to be taking holster work and IDPA classes from a competitive shooter. Are about range safety training? Instructor certifications, even though I have no plans to teach?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links