More then an opinion about CCin and drinking.

This is a discussion on More then an opinion about CCin and drinking. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 571.070. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if such person knowingly has any firearm in his or her possession ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: More then an opinion about CCin and drinking.

571.070. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if such person knowingly has any firearm in his or her possession and:

(1) Such person has been convicted of a felony under the laws of this state, or of a crime under the laws of any state or of the United States which, if committed within this state, would be a felony; or

(2) Such person is a fugitive from justice, is habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition, or is currently adjudged mentally incompetent.

2. Unlawful possession of a firearm is a class C felony.

3. The provisions of subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to the possession of an antique firearm.

The law as its written, or at least all I can find.
    I know what most of your opinions will be on this topic, I guess you could say I am look for facts and information. No, I have no intention of being hammered and having my gun on me. When I go out with the guys I always offer to be the armed driver for my friends so I never have any temptations. I live in a College town in Missouri so I don't have to worry about signs and every bar is a sports bar so they all make more money off the over priced food then anything else. I want to know what the intoxication standard is for CCin, is it like it is with driving a car. Im not talking about pitchers of beer and shots all around here. Can I have one beer with my chili cheese fries? From what I can tell other states are a little more clear on this. When I asked my Criminal Justice professor, who is also a cop, he said, "If you do something stupid while drinking, remember, you just did something stupid with a gun, dont do something stupid." That didnt exactly clear up my question, lol. Pretty sure he thought it was a stupid question.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Did for me.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Drinking a beer and being intoxicated are two different things. "A man has got to know his limitations." If you get drunk "habitually" you had better not be armed when you drink at all. Listen to your professor. Good advice.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I think it varies by state i know in florida drunk driving is a level of .08 or higher but you can have a gun on you as long as you are under .10. I personally find that ridiculous considering you can be more drunk with a gun than driving a car seems kind of stupid, they should at least be the same standard at .08 but i dont write the laws. Either way i will never be drunk with a gun in public. At home is another story if i am sitting at home watching the game and happen to drink to much and somebody kicks my door in you bet your butt Im grabbing a gun and defending my loved ones.

Distinguished Member
    Imagine what the underside of the concrete looks like in a jail cell. That's part of what it's all about but not all of it.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    The last time we were in Missouri we were told by the owners of the shooting school we were attending that we could NOT drink even one drink and carry our guns in a restaurant that served alcohol. They may or may not have been totally correct, but we all believed them.

Also, in our home state the law says you cannot drink ANY alcohol while you are carrying a gun -- you can go into the restaurant/bar with your gun but not even one beer or glass of wine. Depends on the law where you live (or are visiting).

Fortunately for our little family, Gramps doesn't ever drink alcohol, so if we go out and I am going to have a beer, he is designated armed driver. Other than that, my choice is to carry and drink plain water.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

In PA, there aren't any limitations on drinking while carrying. However, I think it is a very bad idea.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

If I drink I don't carry, if I carry I don't drink, it's not rocket science, it's common sense. Maybe I'm just old school.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I don't drink so I don't have to worry about it.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

In VA, CC and consumption of alcohol is illegal. Not intoxication, just consumption. In order to be legal, all you have to do is OC and you can drink to your hearts content. Retarded but true. Seems like poor taste to drink anything while carrying.

VIP Member
    I always carry, and I never drink. Absolutism at its best.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I'll have a few beers at home, all the while carrying. But never outside of the home.
    357and40, gatorbait51 and fredg53 like this.
    Springfield Armory XDS .45
    Kahr CM9
    GeorgiaCarry.org Member

The laws vary significantly by state. In Oregon, there is no special prohibition on drinking or being in a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

UCMJ = Penetration, however slight, shall constitute a violation of this article. Always got a kick out off that line.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Just to add to this, I have a class "A" CDL and at NO TIME can I be above .04 Of course I wouldn't be driving at any point after having a brewski. But then I don't drink at all while armed.

Quote Originally Posted by RockingGlock32 View Post
    I think it varies by state i know in florida drunk driving is a level of .08 or higher but you can have a gun on you as long as you are under .10. I personally find that ridiculous considering you can be more drunk with a gun than driving a car seems kind of stupid, they should at least be the same standard at .08 but i dont write the laws. Either way i will never be drunk with a gun in public. At home is another story if i am sitting at home watching the game and happen to drink to much and somebody kicks my door in you bet your butt Im grabbing a gun and defending my loved ones.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Criminals don't register guns.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links