New to CCW surprised first impressions

This is a discussion on New to CCW surprised first impressions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying for about nine months and was surprised by a few things. I always thought that I'd carry nothing but full size guns. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: New to CCW surprised first impressions

New to CCW surprised first impressions

I've been carrying for about nine months and was surprised by a few things. I always thought that I'd carry nothing but full size guns. If it's big when you put it away it'll be big when you draw it. Its funny how quickly I went to pocket carrying my wife's guns :) I also assumed that OWB would feel very exposed but it doesn't. For me IWB with a tucked shirt feels much more exposed in comparison. I was also shocked at how easy a 1911 conceals.

2. Remove Ads

My buddy will carry a 1911 IWB he uses a Crossbreed Supertuck and OWB he uses a Serpa with a thumb break. It's all in how he dresses around it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I mostly carry Snub Revolvers. I have no problem carrying a J Frame/SP101, K Frame, L Frame/ GP100 or my Airweight N Frame Snubs year round. Being Retired I dress fairly casual. That means Fishing Shirts all Summer. Any time that it is cool enough I have on my Duluth Trading Company Light Working Mans Vest. A little cooler and out comes the Flannel Shirts and the Carhartt Vest.

I carry on the belt at 4 O'Clock most of the time. I do not want the muzzle below the top edge of my right back pocket. My holster of choice is a Pancake for Revolvers. I have pretty much went to all Rocky Hill Leather Holsters.
    I have pretty much always carried my 5 Inch Colt 1911 in an Askens Avenger. My current one is in Black Shark by Rafter S Holsters.

I also have an IWB holster for my 5 Inch 1911. I do not care for it either. I prefer my outside the waist band holsters.

While I have no problem carrying My 3 Inch Willy Clapp GP100, my N Frame 10mm 310 Night Guard, or my Full size 1911. I prefer to carry one of my smaller SP101's or my 3 Inch S&W 66-2. I also have a couple more K Frames a 2 Inch Model 10, and a 2 Inch Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. All the above are great concealed carry revolvers, and being steel they are all very Shootable.

So I guess I have pretty much came to the same conclusion, I can carry a Full Size handgun, but I prefer to carry the smaller size handguns.

I also have a 442 Pro. I reserve it for when I cannot carry a more Shootable Handgun.

Bob The Revolver Guy
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Big Creek Kydex Speed Loader Carriers
    ICORE MO2908
    NRA Life

VIP Member
    I was surprised at how quickly I moved from single-stack lo-cap guns to double-stacked full-size. I am still surprised at how poorly my pants fit when I take the holster off at night.
    mano3 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I have about Eight Guns I rotate for CCW. Two at a time. I carry all day every day. All are Snubs except one 4" Revolver for camping and a Glock 26 for when I feel the need for a hand full of ammo.
    DanielC and gatorbait51 like this.

I started with an S&W J-frame without a reload in 1992 and quickly went to a Glock G20 10mm with two spare fifteen round magazines. Now, I normally carry a 5" 1911 and a spare magazine OWB.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    I started off carrying a subcompact single stack 9mm with only the single mag. I have since added an EDC knife and a second magazine. Now I am in the market for a BUG and a small double stack 9 (looking at G26 and M&P9C). I also have only carried IWB up to this point, but did order a Brommeland Def-Con about a month ago to try OWB.

It is interesting how we evolve...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Owb is the only way I carry! I tried iwb but I just could not get comfortable. But that's just me! A full size 1911 brick is on my Agenda ! (Custom made only). Since I started carrying, I have added a spare magazine and a knife! Heck, who know , I might add a BUG!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I started cc'ing about 6 months ago, but I took an opposite path from you. I owned a P95 Ruger but was told it was too big to conceal easily. Sold it and bought a sub compact Sig. Carried it a while without a problem. Started carrying the P250 in full size from time to time iwb and noticed it was pretty comfortable to carry and easy for me to conceal. Now I carry a Beretta 92fs everyday and have no issues. I still can't get my head around owb carry, but I'll probably try it some day.

Just goes to show that what works for one doesn't work for all. And what you think will be best for you may not be what is best.
    gatorbait51 and cjkent like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I typically carry my full-size P226 all the time IWB, extra mag, and on some occasions my .357 snub on my ankle. I carry on occasion OWB in a fobus holster and all I need is a hoodie or a relatively long shirt. My general premise for covering OWB is based on what type of crowd I'm going to be around. Wouldn't be the first time my roomate has been asked to leave a fast food restaurant because someone called the police.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

I'm nervous to see how I will be able to dress around my firearm for concealed carry once my permit arrives. I'm about 6'1, 160 lbs and wear somewhat fitted but not too tight of clothing. I might find myself carrying my xds more then my g19. If anyone has any tips I'm welcome for them. Will be my first time carrying.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I carry IWB or OWB depending on the mood , what cover clothing I am wearing . Mine are full sized Colt Governments or an N frame Smith. No about to add an orphaned Model 65 to the mix . I think a Hays Holster for that last one is in my future.
    denclaste and Kennydale like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltz View Post
    I'm nervous to see how I will be able to dress around my firearm for concealed carry once my permit arrives. I'm about 6'1, 160 lbs and wear somewhat fitted but not too tight of clothing. I might find myself carrying my xds more then my g19. If anyone has any tips I'm welcome for them. Will be my first time carrying.
    You shouldn't have any problem at all carrying the G19. That's sort of what is was made for - I think.
    gatorbait51 and Bigmac31391 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltz View Post
    Altering the way you dress is part of the process. Pants typically require one size larger in the waist and you probably won't do well with any shirt that is tight around the waist unless you don't mind printing or you wear other cover garments such as a jacket. You will also want to include an undershirt of some type to wear between the holster and your skin. There are plenty of threads here that deal with cover garments.

Carrying is a way of life and it does require some sacrifices and changes to 'typical' behaviors.
    gatorbait51 and DanielC like this.

^^^ That last statement says it all ^^^
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links