Anyone carry a backup to their ECP?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a backup to their ECP? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading in my latest edition of Concealed Carry magazine of people who carry multiple guns, just in case. For everyday carry, does anyone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a backup to their ECP?

Anyone carry a backup to their ECP?

I was reading in my latest edition of Concealed Carry magazine of people who carry multiple guns, just in case.
    For everyday carry, does anyone carry a backup, or even a backup to their backup?
    I realize it depends where you live, or are, but, since if you are already carrying, your showing a degree of readiness, how ready do we need to be?

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the form, from Georgia. In answer to your question, see post #54 on the thread "Honest EDC"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Each of us is as ready as he or she deems necessary; my choices may be very different from yours.

I have experimented with carrying a G27 as backup to a G21, but settled on carrying one or the other with 2 additional magazines---40 rounds total in either case.

Cool

I did carry a 1911 in 380+1 spare mag and sometimes a BUG Beretta 22 with 2 spare mags.

I can't reasonably carry that much weight now so I carry my BUG as my primary EDC w/22R total. It beats throwing rocks and I can't run.
    Last edited by NONAME762; March 1st, 2014 at 01:31 AM. Reason: 0ops
    Sambuh likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    I was reading in my latest edition of Concealed Carry magazine of people who carry multiple guns, just in case.
    For everyday carry, does anyone carry a backup, or even a backup to their backup?
    I realize it depends where you live, or are, but, since if you are already carrying, your showing a degree of readiness, how ready do we need to be?
    Usually a 1911 45 acp, and a NAA .22 micro revolver when I feel the need for a New York Reload.

I think if 21 rounds of 45 230 grain JHP does not stop the bad guy and I am reaching for a bug gun that is when I know I should not be dating the daughter of the grand dragon of the klan ....

Sry I have not felt the need to carry two or three guns ... Oh I have though about ( small guns big pants ) ... But for me a gun and mag should cover most any thing I have faced out where I live but if I go to the big city I might go heavy

Course I have alwasy wanted to take this approach to BUG Boondock-Saints-Il-Duce-Multiple-Holsters.jpg
    LuvMyPX4 and Pete63 like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

^^^ Works for me! I believe in carrying my spare mag inside my spare gun. Extra ammo does you no good if a spring breaks and as we all know, there's no "time outs" in a gunfight.

I carry a NAA mini revolver in .22 mag as a backup at all times when I'm out and about. On rare occasions I've got other options. In my opinion, its easier to just grab another gun than reload.

I've carried a mid-sized 9mm with spare mags as primary, with a smaller BUG 9mm (and 1 spare mag) as secondary, along with a knife and light. That's about as heavily-tooled as I go, and even then that has only been occasionally.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just as I dress for type of evening or how cold a storm. I also carry for the location I am going. On occasion I can't get out of being in an unsafe location late at night. As we get older we visit more people in the Hospital and they are not always in the best part of town. Coming out at night I may have different guns than I carry to get bread and milk in the daylight.

What other people do and think is none of my business. I have trouble remembering that though.

The hope is you would never need it, but carry a gun because you don't ever want to be in a spot where you need it and don't have it. I reckon the same principle applies with extra ammo and a bug... the hope is you would never need it, but you never want to be in a situation when you need it and don't have it. Everyone has to make up their own mind as to what they are comfortable with. Some don't carry and think it's ridiculous because they are more comfortable with taking the chance on never being in a self defense situation and needing it... others are not ok with taking that chance.

It has been said, "two is one, and one is none".

I think in most cases crimes occur quickly. robberies, beatings etc. the only thing that would concern me is a gun malfunction. But I gotta believe if you brandish a weapon it would be enough to scare our average run of the mill criminal looking for cash, jewelry or whatever. I think too, most "shootouts" are over in seconds. If you take care of your weapon, and carry extra ammo, I think in most situations you're ok. I usually have a gun in the car, and on me as well. So if need be, if I can, I can make my way back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USM1976 likes this.

I carry a 5" 1911 in .45 ACP or 10mm with a spare magazine. I carry a Sig P938 9mm or a Springfield Armory XDs-45 as a pocket BUG with a spare magazine. I don't carry for the potential mugging or car jacking. I carry in case I have to walk home after a natural disaster like the overdue 9.0 earthquake where I live. The further I am from home, the more I carry.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member
    Yes. Sometimes a LCP, sometimes a NAA 22 mag, but not in every situation and not everytime.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

When I carry revolvers I carry two usually an SP 101 3" AIWB with a S&W 638 in the off hand pocket. If I can't do it with 10 shots I probably shouldn't try it with a hand gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links