Moving to Portland, Or

Moving to Portland, Or

This is a discussion on Moving to Portland, Or within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering a move from beautiful and free Arizona to Portland Oregon. Anything I should know about the gun friendliness there? I know it's a shall ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By foxytwo
  • 1 Post By CWOUSCG
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By Ky_Tom

Thread: Moving to Portland, Or

Moving to Portland, Or

Considering a move from beautiful and free Arizona to Portland Oregon. Anything I should know about the gun friendliness there? I know it's a shall issue state and Portland has ordinances against open carry but with a CCW one can carry concealed. Anything else I should know that's not on handgunlaw.us?

"Oregon is also an open-carry state,[6] but cities and counties are free to limit public possession of loaded firearms by individuals who do not have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License.[7] The municipalities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, Independence, and Multnomah County[8] have banned loaded firearms in all public places.[9]

There is no reciprocity with other states' concealed handgun licenses. Individuals wanting to carry a concealed handgun in Oregon will need an Oregon Concealed Handgun License.[10]

In Oregon, gun owners can be held liable in civil court if a gun injury is caused by negligence, and can be held responsible for damages in a wrongful death claim if the gun is used to kill someone."

Also no PPT at guns show at all .. Outside them yes ( BP etc)

Also there knife laws are not like ours .. Not too bad but not anything goes either ORS 166.240 - Carrying of concealed weapons - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes but they have a lot of knife makers so that should be ok but it sounds like from my reading that Portland can be weird about it ..

So it looks like other then no PPT at gunshows and possible less clear knife laws and permit needed OC in some places it is OK ..

The key stuff (EBR/over 10 mage/NFA) all seems to be ok .. But as I recale it is pretty left state and they have come close to passing stuff in the past .. I think they almost got UBR past a little while back ..

So not the worst places you can move ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

The list of towns that ban OC is not all inclusive, for example Newport does not allow OC and there are others. Also the wait list to obtain a permit can be lengthy but that does depend on the county and I don't know what Multnomah wait time is.
    You can go across the river and get an out of state permit for WA, they don't take OR CCL.

Portland is on the Oregon side of the mighty Columbia River. There is a shooting school up near Centrailia/Chehalis I've heard is a crackerjack outfit. (Worth the $$.) A renewal WA CC permit is just $32 for 5 years. Washington has no state income tax but the sales tax at 8.3% is steep I think. There is no tax however on food.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

It's a shall-issue state. Basically, if you pass muster, you get the CHL. The sheriff in the county of your residence issues it, but wait times and hurdles can vary quite a bit from the anti-gunner counties to the pro-RKBA ones. Pick a very pro-RKBA county, if you have the choice. Though, it could easily change with the next election of the county sheriff. Still, it's shall-issue.

OC has its problems, though it's an OC state. As some have pointed out, municipalities can restrict lawfully, if you have no CHL. In many ways, the urban centers are heavily anti-gunner in their actual handling of and allowance for visible carry, despite it being constitutional and lawful. Caution is due, if you choose to OC, as there are many conflicting and overlapping constraints at the munti and county level, in various parks and other places. The CHL will cover you from all that crap, mostly.

Oregon also is a "machine gun" state. Head down to the Machine Gun Shoot when you get a chance. Bring a wad of cash, and you'll get to shoot any one of a hundred different and interesting full-auto examples, from belt-fed type stuff to Mac-10's. They often bring out a privately-owned tank or two, as well. It's a hoot.

Watch out for Ginny Burdick and the rest of the anti-gunner, liberty-hating crowd in the legislature.

Consider joining the Oregon Firearms Federation (O.F.F.), a lobby group.

Find your favorite BLM lands and shoot for free. Or, head to one of the numerous ranges. In the Portland area, the Douglas Ridge range has a 1000yd rifle layout; and the Tri-County Gun Club (in Sherwood, south of Portland) has several ranges on-site.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I lived in Portland for 26 years and loved the summer weather, lots of sunshine, lots of flowers and not much rain. The winter is different with lots of rain, weeks without sunshine, gets real dreary. Portland is divided with a river and normally have enough bridges for commuting, but if one bridge gets shut down for any reason the traffic really backs up. Highways in and out of Portland get standing traffic in the morning and evening commute. There were times that a bridge was shut down, accident an another bridge and I have spent up to 2 hours going 3 miles. My job kept me traveling all over Portland and Vancouver all day, so I know what I am talking about. If your job and residence keeps you on one side of Portland then the traffic won't bother you.

Portland and Vancouver has some of the best restaurants you can find, and reasonable too. That is the thing I miss most about leaving the Portland area.

Oregon does not recognize other state's permits so other states do not recognize Oregon's permits, big draw back if you travel.
    ccw9mm and WrongRecroom like this.

Bardo, before you leave AZ get a non res permit. It has better cover than WA permit but you will still need a WA permit as they don't accept AZ.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

The current weather report for Portland is a chance of rain through February.
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Watch out for Ginny Burdick and the rest of the anti-gunner, liberty-hating crowd in the legislature.

I was going to suggest that too. I'm on their mailing list and there's a whole bunch of stuff going on there right now.

Oregon's Only No Compromise Gun Lobby - Oregon Firearms Federation
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

All I can say is..Good luck with the move.. Oregon is one of most liberal states in the nation, the highest taxed state too. Portland is what I call a Young person city. Every where you go, there are young people, say between 18 and 35, and full of night spots.. been there a few times, My son moved there just about 10 years ago and he's says its like a college campus everywhere you go, coffee shops on every corner...., but it's took him a while to get use to the laws there. Its also trying to go GREEN very hard...You can not pump your own gasoline, you can not use plastic bags for your trash, and in Micky dee's you must separate your trash Food, Paper, Plastic..If you ever been in the army, then you'll understand what I mean..Not sure about Gun laws, I know my son has young son and daughter and refuses to have a weapon in the home at this time..He says when they get old enough to know right from wrong, to not touch a gun..He'll get one, but not right now....He thoughts are, if you have to lock a gun away , and out of reach and out of sight, then its useless to have in the home.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Not sure why you are considering a move to Oregon, but I can tell you my experience. As far as 2A goes, it's part of their state constitution to own firearms. Notice I said OWN and not CARRY. You do have to have a permit. All of this is stated above and easily looked up. Here's why I did NOT move to OR. The state itself is in shambles. Worse off than where I was coming from in CA. The economy is suffering. For instance, look at Josephine County. They couldn't afford to keep a staffed Sheriff's office. It's the Sheriff himself for the entire county and that's it. The citizens are the ones keeping law and order (and a good job of it from what I have read). The job market is horrible. I looked at various cities job market when I was investigating whether OR would be right for me. It was worse than where I was at for my field (IT) than where I was at in CA. That says a lot to me. Taxes are high. Not as high as in CA but high nonetheless. I wanted to get away from that for the most part. Remember, it's part of the "left coast". As for Portland itself. I've always likened it to the San Francisco Bay Area of Oregon. I wasn't that impressed. I've been in both winter and summer and it seemed a bit dirty and unkept. There were aspects that were cool, but, not enough to make me want to live there.

Don't get me wrong. Oregon is one of the most beautiful states in the Union. I love it's forests, rivers, lakes and smaller communities. The people are very nice and respectable for the most part. The gun culture is great compared to what I was used to in CA and the people for the most part seem to want to be left alone. I just couldn't "pull the trigger" and make the move up there.

Not sure if any of that will help ya...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky_Tom View Post
    All I can say is..Good luck with the move.. Oregon is one of most liberal states in the nation,
    As with any state, it depends on which part. West of the Cascades is pretty dang liberal, but cross the mountain, and it's pretty good living on this side. Drive an hour east, and it's trucks and guns galore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky_Tom View Post
    Its also trying to go GREEN very hard...You can not pump your own gasoline, you can not use plastic bags for your trash, and in Micky dee's you must separate your trash Food, Paper, Plastic..If you ever been in the army, then you'll understand what I mean..
    You're correct about the gas pumping. It was instituted decades ago as a "job-creating" initiative. It's annoying, but that's about it.

As far as the trash thing, what the heck are you talking about? I've lived in Oregon my entire life, and spent plenty of time in the Valley, but never seen anything like that. Many places will give more recycling options for those who want to do it, but it's by no means mandatory. I've seen more if this stuff in Seattle than I ever have in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And a BIG +1 to that! OFF is the strongest force keeping a few particular Dems from instituting draconian laws.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    My daughters live in Portland area go to the city PD and get there list of does and don't it is mind boggling oh and learn they city as to where special area's are and do not forget knife laws for the city. I decided some time back that my daughters can come visit me I plan on never going back there. Other parts of Oregon are pretty reasonable and I have friends in other towns like central and southern Or.

Links