Laws about carrying firearms in a vehicle in PA?

This is a discussion on Laws about carrying firearms in a vehicle in PA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm turning 21 in a few months and I want to get my LTCF and I've done a good bit of research on carrying laws ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CowboyKen

Thread: Laws about carrying firearms in a vehicle in PA?

Cool Laws about carrying firearms in a vehicle in PA?

I'm turning 21 in a few months and I want to get my LTCF and I've done a good bit of research on carrying laws for PA and I'm pretty sure I know the laws on carrying in a vehicle but I would like to get a confirmation BEFORE I decide to carry unlawfully in a vehicle... I know long guns have to be unloaded and ammo separate from the firearm... and to carry in the vehicle(pistols/revolvers) but do they have to be unloaded, or can they be to the hip and ready to do work? Is there a special law for like putting the gun between the console and your seat and covering it up with a hat or something? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Handgunlaw.us

The best resource on the Net.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Not positive, but I believe whether you have your permit will control how you can carry in your vehicle. If you have it, it can be concealed and loaded.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

welcome from Johnstown pa! check the site longstreet posted. it is the best there is. pa is one of the best states there is for gun rights. idk about huntingdon county but in cambria county i got my LTCF in hand in under 15 minutes from the time i turned in the paper work. as far as your question goes, if you have a LTCF you can carry concealed in a car meaning on your waistband, in center console or whatever while in your vehicle. if you don't the law is the same as long guns.

Thanks everyone, I tried reading Longstreet's post but Ive been up for 24+ hrs so had some trouble understanding it haha... thanks wellpoison that's what Ive been looking for in all these sites is just one straight forward answer

Another very good site that focuses on PA issues and is a very good resource for carry issues.

Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Ken
    javaman70 and Parrisk like this.

also just for some feedback I know you dont HAVE to tell a cop your carrying but(and i think i know the answer to this as well) is it a good idea to let them know... if so i figure itd be best to do so with your hands in sight lol

let them know before you turn to get you registration and they see it that is

The site CowboyKen linked to is a good one. Strictly PA with a lot of good people and info. As far as notifying an officer is up to you. Some people do some never will, it's all personal preference. PA you do not have to inform.

Welcome from N.E. Pa.

Without a LTC you cannot have a loaded weapon in the vehicle.
    Pa Game Commission will hammer you for having a loaded long gun or crossbow in a vehicle.
    With a LTC you can put your handgun were ever you wish. If stopped you do not have to inform the LEO.
    It is recommended that if stopped and retrieving the paperwork your Handgun could be sighted to inform the officer "I have a LTC and my paperwork is in my glove box with my weapon."
    If retrieving would not expose your weapon just hand them your paperwork and put your LTC with that. Most LEO will either hand your LTC back and say they don't need it or simply ask you "Do you have your weapon with you now and where is it located." then every office I have had contract with has thanked me at the end for letting them know.

Ask the folks from Philadelphia County about that area as they are a bit different..
    http://forum.pafoa.org/ Pa Firearms Owners Association is a great forum for those of us in the Keystone state
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Links