CPL denial question Please help.

This is a discussion on CPL denial question Please help. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys im new to this site and i need some advice. I live in Detroit MI and im in the process of putting in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CPL denial question Please help.

Hi guys im new to this site and i need some advice. I live in Detroit MI and im in the process of putting in for my CPL but i have some issues with my driving record ive been ticketed for driving on suspension twice but the charges were always drop to a lesser charges in court like driving with no ops (no license on person). i have my license valid now and all tickets paid off this was a couple years ago just wondering should i aspect to be denied for my CPL because of this.

IANAL, but I'd think traffic tickets, even what you post, should not be an issue, per se. How the gun board (you still have that in MI, right) might look at you as a scofflaw, that could be an impact.

Press on!
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Sad to say I would be surprised if you get the CPL. It is true that in Michigan we are a shall issue state having said that the driving without you license will probably keep you from getting your CPL. Although the charges ended being reduced the original charges will still show up. They look at everything and I would guess they might think you have a general disregard for the law. Hope things work out for you

Distinguished Member
    I don't know MI law, but typically only felonies would preclude you from being eligible for a CPL. Take a look at your local statutes to see what the rules are. You can always apply and deal with a denial if it happens.
    OldVet likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    You can expect everyone to hope you are more responsible than you apparently were.

You should be fine.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Driving is a privaledge,, Guns are a right.. Good Luck ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

i was young and dumb im definitely paying the price and i really appreciate the feed back guys thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I don't know MI law so this is based on other states. Misdemeanor driving offenses could get you denied if you receive a certain number within so many years prior to your CPL application. Their reasoning behind this theory is that it would show a tendancy to violate the law or a lack of respect toward the law. Usually if the offenses (2 or 3) occur within 5 years prior to the application they will initially deny you and then you must file an appeal.

I know someone with your exact story who had no trouble getting a permit in WV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on your County board. Most are willing to make a judgment call when something flags your application, but if you're near Detroit, those counties tend to be a little more sticky about things and may want you to make an appearance. From what I've heard from others, you'lll probably get your CPL after a delay or two.

Officials will want to know why were your license suspended in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas3132 View Post
    ... ticketed for driving on suspension twice but the charges were always drop to a lesser charges in court like driving with no ops (no license on person).
    Can't imagine comparatively minor (and non-violent, no-harm) driving infractions would get in the way of issuance of proof of passing the permissions scheme (aka, a CHL).

Check the state statutes for the list of qualifying criteria for CHL applicants. I highly doubt traffic infractions count.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Aceoky likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Many variables here. Since gun boards are still being used in MI there is no way to know what they will look at and think. The thing that sticks out to me is that the OP didn't learn the first, or second time, and doesn't say if he learned on the third time.

First time would be when his license was suspended. There had to be a reason for it. They don't just go to work, pull a number out of a hat and say "We'll suspend this one today".

Second was the first time he was caught driving on a suspended license.

Then he was caught driving on a suspended license a second time. Did he learn his lesson, or was he just lucky and didn't get caught again?

BTW- Welcome to the Forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I really dislike state who rely on "judgment" to determine the issue of a permit or not. It then depends on personal opinion, not the basis of law.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links