Concealed Weapons Permit Holders

Concealed Weapons Permit Holders

This is a discussion on Concealed Weapons Permit Holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was sent to me by a friend and i thought it might be of interest to others here on the forum. I do not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Concealed Weapons Permit Holders

Thumbs up Concealed Weapons Permit Holders

This was sent to me by a friend and i thought it might be of interest to others here on the forum.

I do not know who the author of this piece is however i thought it was very well written.

10 Things Everyone Should Know About Concealed Weapons Permit Holders

1. We don’t carry firearms so that we can ignore other basics of personal safety. Every permit holder that I know realizes that almost all dangerous situations can be avoided by vigilance, alertness and by simply making wise choices about where one goes and what one does. We don’t walk down dark alleys. We lock our cars. We don’t get intoxicated in public or hang out around people who do. We park our cars in well lighted spots and don’t hang out in bad parts of town where we have no business. A gun is our last resort, not our first.

2. We don’t think we are cops, spies, or superheros. We aren’t hoping that somebody tries to rob the convenience store while we are there so we can shoot a criminal. We don’t take it upon ourselves to get involved in situations that are better handled by a 911 call or by simply standing by and being a good witness. We don’t believe our guns give us any authority over our fellow citizens. We also aren't here to be your unpaid volunteer bodyguard. We'll be glad to tell you where we trained and point you to some good gun shops if you feel you want to take this kind of responsibility for your personal safety. Except for extraordinary circumstances your business is your business, don't expect us to help you out of situations you could have avoided.

3. We are LESS likely, not more likely, to be involved in fights or “rage” incidents than the general public. We recognize, better than many unarmed citizens, that we are responsible for our actions. We take the responsibility of carrying a firearm very seriously. We know that loss of temper, getting into fights or angrily confronting someone after a traffic incident could easily escalate into a dangerous situation. We are more likely to go out of our way to avoid these situations. We don’t pull our guns to settle arguments or to attempt to threaten people into doing what we want.

4. We are responsible gun owners. We secure our firearms so that children and other unauthorized people cannot access them. Most of us have invested in safes, cases and lock boxes as well as other security measures to keep our firearms secure. Many of us belong to various organizations that promote firearms safety and ownership.

5. Guns are not unsafe or unpredictable. Modern firearms are well made precision instruments. Pieces do not simply break off causing them to fire. A hot day will not set them off. Most modern firearms will not discharge even if dropped. There is no reason to be afraid of a gun simply lying on a table or in a holster. It is not going to discharge on its own.

6. We do not believe in the concept of “accidental discharges”. There are no accidental discharges only negligent discharges or intentional discharges. We take responsibility for our actions and have learned how to safely handle firearms. Any case you have ever heard of about a gun “going off” was the result of negligence on somebody’s part. Our recognition of our responsibility and familiarity with firearms makes us among the safest firearms owners in America.

7. Permit holders do their best to keep our concealed weapons exactly that: concealed. However, there are times with an observant fellow citizen may spot our firearm or the print of our firearm under our clothes. We are very cognizant that concerns about terrorism and crime are in the forefront of the minds of most citizens. We also realize that our society does much to condition our fellow citizens to have sometimes irrational fears about firearms. We would encourage citizens who do happen to spot someone carrying a firearm to use good judgment and clear thinking if they feel to need to take action. Please recognize that it’s very uncommon for a criminal to use a holster. However, if you feel the need to report having spotted a firearm we would ask that you please be specific and detailed in your call to the police or in your report to a store manager or private security. Please don’t generalize or sensationalize what you observed. Comments like “there’s a guy running around in the store with a gun” or even simply “I saw a man with a gun in the store” could possibly cause a misunderstanding as to the true nature of the incident.

8. The fact that we carry a firearm to any given place does not mean that we believe that place to be inherently unsafe. If we believe a place to be unsafe, most of us would avoid that place all together if possible. However, we recognize that trouble could occur at any place and at any time. Criminals do not observe “gun free zones”. If trouble does come, we do not want the only armed persons to be perpetrators. Therefore, we don't usually make a determination about whether or not to carry at any given time based on "how safe" we think a location is.

9. Concealed weapon permit holders are an asset to the public in times of trouble. The fact that most permit holders have the good judgment to stay out of situations better handled by a 911 call or by simply being a careful and vigilant witness does not mean that we would fail to act in situations where the use of deadly force is appropriate to save lives. Review of high profile public shooting incidents shows that when killers are confronted by armed resistance they tend to either break off the attack and flee or choose to end their own life. Lives are saved when resistance engages a violent criminal. Lives are lost when the criminal can do as he pleases.

10. The fact that criminals know that some of the population may be armed at any given time helps to deter violence against all citizens. Permit holders don’t believe that every person should necessarily be armed. We recognize that some people may not be temperamentally suited to carry a firearm or simply may wish not to for personal reasons. However we do encourage you to respect our right to arm ourselves. Even if you choose not to carry a firearm yourself please oppose measures to limit the ability of law abiding citizens to be armed. As mentioned before: criminals do not observe “gun free zones”. Help by not supporting laws that require citizens to be unarmed victims.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Hear, hear!
    mano3 and gatorbait51 like this.

DBS
    Good stuff.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Excellent! Thanks for posting.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Right..............
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Things like this should be posted on 'anti-gun' websites, maybe then they would understand the importance of self preservation.

Excellent post, thanks.

Sara Lou
    gatorbait51 and mano3 like this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Some good reading there. Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Yep!!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member
    Excellent article. It should be required reading for every concealed carry class or permit holder. How could any sane anti argue with this? Oh yeah, I forgot. There are no sane antis.
    Last edited by oldnfat; March 2nd, 2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add text
    StevePVB, mano3, redmc and 3 others like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    Things like this should be posted on 'anti-gun' websites, maybe then they would understand the importance of self preservation.

Excellent post, thanks.

Sara Lou
    Sara Lou, They'll see it , deny it , laugh at it and put their fingers in their ears like Junior High Mean girls .
    Zralou, Dan060 and BadgerJ like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Probably one of the best articles on CCing that I have seen on any forum.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    The typical anti response will just be emotional nonsense, like "OK, but why do you need a gun in a bakery/church/bank?"

Truth is you at least need one in the parking lot of such places, where going to and from your car can be a problem, but the other aspect is you just can't be arming and disarming every ten minutes while you go about your day.

Good replies everyone.
    gatorbait51 and GWarden like this.

thanks FlaRon!
    ...........that pretty much sums it up
    I'd really like to know where that came from
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

well said!

Very good. I like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links