Would you carry with a non-stock barrel?

This is a discussion on Would you carry with a non-stock barrel? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been having some trouble with my Glock 32. Basically Every hundred rounds or so, I get a failure to feed where my preferred round ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Would you carry with a non-stock barrel?

I've been having some trouble with my Glock 32. Basically Every hundred rounds or so, I get a failure to feed where my preferred round (Gold Dots) hang up on the feed ramp.
    This is the second Gen 4 G32 I've had with this problem. Out of desperation, I've tried everything: Different magazines with different followers, different ammo (Winchester Rangers have same problem), etc. The only glimmer of hope I've had so far was that my old Lone Wolf 357 barrel I had lying around thus far has no exhibited the problem.

With the malfunction only happening a couple times per box of expensive hollow points, it is really hard to track down and very costly. However I don't feel like I can trust the pistol for carry either. So my question is this:

Would you carry this pistol with
    a) Aftermarket 357 barrel (assuming it fixes the problem)
    or
    b) Factory Glock 23 barrel and just switch to .40 S&W and be done with 357?

Would you have any reservations about a carry pistol that has a different barrel or caliber in it than factory from a legal standpoint?

Senior Moderator
    Yes I would carry.

No I would not have any reservations about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Not an issue. I just purchased a KKM threaded barrel for my Glock 19, no problems with reliability but I needed something to screw the can on hot guns is gonna get for me. LOL
    OD*, glockman10mm and Bad Bob like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

You are the only one who can determine if your carry pistol is ultimately reliable. I won't carry anything that has not been reliable for me no matter what combination it is.
    Odd that you've experienced issues with that Gen4 Glock. I'm stuck on the Gen3 myself. Done the switch to 357SIG with my G27 and oddly enough, I've been through a lot of the 357SIG GDHPs since I got a deal on a whole case from Ventura last year. No issues with mine and I've even used some of the 40S&W factory magazines to feed the 357SIG rounds. Glock factory G33 barrel and I absolutely love this round especially for my baby Glock.
    In your case? I wouldn't see any legal issues carrying no stock or mixed parts so long as they work for you and the ammo you will be carrying. I have contemplated the thought of getting a G32 barrel for my G23, but I do like the 40S&W in the mid size Glock and can't see dropping $150 for a 357SIG barrel on that. Just me.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

I as an example replace the Glock OEM barrels with either Bar-Sto or KKM. More so of late with KKM. Functionality never a problem.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Trouble in perfection land? Just funnin' ya.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Anyone happen to have a photo of the feed ramp area of a KKM or Storm lake barrel? I really think the issue is the new (narrower feed channel) design of the G32 Gen 4 feed ramp.

Here is this issue I've been having (In this photo Gen4 G32 + Gen4 Mag w/ #3 follower + Winchester Ranger t 125gr)

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    I as an example replace the Glock OEM barrels with either Bar-Sto or KKM. More so of late with KKM. Functionality never a problem.
    Any particular reason why you run with aftermarket barrels?

I'm frustrated with this .357 Sig issue on the Glock to the point where I may just plop in my factory .40 S&W barrel and carry it as a dyslexic Glock 23. I just worry about carrying in a different caliber than is on the slide and how that might be used against me in court if I ever had to use it. I'd almost rather spend the $165 on a KKM if that solves the issue and at least be carrying the caliber marked on the slide.

The G23 or 40S&W in the platform isn't exactly what I would call dyslexic.
    A few questions for you on this.
    A. Are you just using Gen4 factory 357SIG magazines with your G32?
    B. Have you tried any 40S&W or G23 magazines with your G32 and that ammo?
    C. Have you tried any Gen3 magazines in either 357SIG or 40S&W in your G32 and that ammo?
    D. Are you always fully loading your magazines, or have you tried downloading by one round?
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Personally, I'd be more worried about the gun failing at the time that I needed it than wondering what the court aftermath would be after I was forced to use it. Since you seem to be worried about both, maybe you should sell it or keep it as a range gun. Then get something with OEM parts and that is actually reliable. That's what I would do, anyways.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    If it functions fine with no hiccups go with the aftermarket barrel. Have you taken a jewelers loupe and looked very closely at the feed ramp for and imperfections. (It should feel glass smooth to the touch.) If not a polish job may be in order. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Hi JDavisArk,

I'll try to answer your questions.
    First some background: This is my second Gen4 G32 to exhibit this problem. I sold the first one which had the same issue, but much much worse (would not feed any GDHP). That one had Gen4 magazines and #2 followers. My current one is described below. I've had lots of glocks in all calibers and never had an issue like this before, so I'm pretty sure it isn't a limp-writing induced problem. It also doesn't happen with FMJ.

A) I have 6 magazines total that I've used with this pistol:
    3x Gen4 Mag with #3 follower
    3x Gen3 Mag with #1 follower

B)I've also tried
    4x Gen4 .40 S&W mags with #9 follower
    All have the same issue

C) Yes. See above

D) The problem occurs at all stages in the firing cycle. 1st shot 8th shot, 10th shot etc.
    At the range, I usually am downloaded by 1 as I load the mag with 13 rounds then put it in and go. Which means first shot is with 12 in mag. However when testing multiple mags, I've loaded them each with 5 rounds only and had the same thing happen.
    However

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    The G23 or 40S&W in the platform isn't exactly what I would call dyslexic.
    A few questions for you on this.
    A. Are you just using Gen4 factory 357SIG magazines with your G32?
    B. Have you tried any 40S&W or G23 magazines with your G32 and that ammo?
    C. Have you tried any Gen3 magazines in either 357SIG or 40S&W in your G32 and that ammo?
    D. Are you always fully loading your magazines, or have you tried downloading by one round?

What about having a 'smith massage the feed ramp a little? Would that work for something like this? I don't own any glocks, so not sure.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

I regularly carry a handgun with a non-factory barrel. My favorite pistol (BHP) isn't offered in my favorite caliber (.357 Sig) so the very first conversion Kevin McIntyre (KKM) made to accommodate that combination belonged to me!

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    What about having a 'smith massage the feed ramp a little? Would that work for something like this? I don't own any glocks, so not sure.
    THIS!
    ^^^^

If you are not handy with a dremel polishing wheel, have a Glock armorer do this.

I carry the G27. I polished the ramp within an inch of it's life.
    Might wanna' try it before going crazy on after market barrels, mag spring pressures etc.

One thing I do know; nothing worse than carrying a defensive weapon that one has low confidence with.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links