Fellow school employees

Fellow school employees

This is a discussion on Fellow school employees within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work both on a college campus as well as at a high school 5-6 days out of the week. I don't carry often due ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Fellow school employees

Fellow school employees

I work both on a college campus as well as at a high school 5-6 days out of the week. I don't carry often due to always being on one or the other campus and wondering how fellow school employees carry? Do you just take and keep locked in car during your day then reholster when leaving? Only carry on weekends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have a portable gun safe [permanently mounted on the transmission hump] in my truck. I leave it in the truck at work and re-holster when leaving.
    gatorbait51, NONAME762 and baren like this.

I just don't carry on school grounds. I wish I could carry there but the consequences are too severe if you get caught carrying. The likelihood of me really needing it are less than me having an accident and having paramedics respond or some other type of scenario where I am found out to be carrying and subsequently arrested.

I wish I could carry at school but I won't just get fired, I'll be a felon if I were to get caught.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
    I work both on a college campus as well as at a high school 5-6 days out of the week. I don't carry often due to always being on one or the other campus and wondering how fellow school employees carry? Do you just take and keep locked in car during your day then reholster when leaving? Only carry on weekends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, no, no! You're a government-controlled public school instructor and aren't even allowed to have a gun, much less carry it! You must promote turning all guns and have your students squeal on their parents that own guns. Support the tyrant to your fullest! (Sarcasm off)

Not a teacher, but I'd say carry where you can legally, and where/when you choose to.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I just don't carry on school grounds. I wish I could carry there but the consequences are too severe if you get caught carrying. The likelihood of me really needing it are less than me having an accident and having paramedics respond or some other type of scenario where I am found out to be carrying and subsequently arrested.

I wish I could carry at school but I won't just get fired, I'll be a felon if I were to get caught.
    What consequences are you talking about? I carry on school grounds every time I pick up my grandson. If I remain in the car, I'm totally legal. If I want to go in the school. I have two options. Leave the gun in the car, or open carry. One of the father's open carried recently, and ensuing circus was amusing after the "guy with a gun call went out". Every active duty cop in the township was there within a minute or two. They told all the hysterical people to calm down, this is perfectly legal. Good work guys!
    NONAME762 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Every state is going to have laws around carrying in schools. Schools will tend to be a flashpoint for most people, so I strongly suggest you know your local laws well because there will no no room for error if you mess up.

In GA you are allowed to have a gun in the car but cannot take it into the school under any circumstances (OC or CC). When I drop off or pick up my son I carry in the car. If I need to go into the school for any reason, I lock the weapon in the car. I don't see why a teacher could not take the same steps, although I am not in education so I don't know if the school boards have their own rules for employees.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGun47 View Post
    What consequences are you talking about? I carry on school grounds every time I pick up my grandson. If I remain in the car, I'm totally legal. If I want to go in the school. I have two options. Leave the gun in the car, or open carry. One of the father's open carried recently, and ensuing circus was amusing after the "guy with a gun call went out". Every active duty cop in the township was there within a minute or two. They told all the hysterical people to calm down, this is perfectly legal. Good work guys!
    Was I not clear? If I bring a gun into the school I can be charged with a felony.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Depends on your state laws. It's a felony to have it in the parking lot in my state also. So it has to stay at home when working at the school here, or park off school property and lock in the car. Check your state laws and decide.
    WrongRecroom and gatorbait51 like this.

Was I not clear? If I bring a gun into the school I can be charged with a felony.
    ".... me having an accident and having paramedics respond or some other type of scenario where I am found out to be carrying and subsequently arrested".

Sorry, but you just sound real paranoid to me. With all the fears you harbor, your right, you probably shouldn't carry. I carry 24/7/365 and never worried about "being found out to be carrying and arrested". If you weren't so paranoid, I'd suggest for you to get a permit to carry, but then again you're probably not to well suited for it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Only if you bring it into the school. If it is locked in your vehicle in your parking lot you are OK.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

What do Kanses carry laws say about carry in the car on school grounds in Kentucky even if you work at the school you can keep a firearm in your car in factory in installed container without a CCP on school grounds.
    Last edited by donp326; March 4th, 2014 at 07:44 PM.
    Ghost1958 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    What do Kanses carry laws say about carry in the car on school grounds in Kentucky even if you work at the school you can keep a firearm in your car in factory in stalled container without a CCP on school grounds.
    I can have it in my car (or on me in car) while picking up a child. If I go in the building leave it in car (or in my case at home because I would walk across the lot next to my house to the kids school). The schools here are also posted so while only a trespass if caught in at posted business if I did not leave it would be an arrest and a trial while I attempted to show that the Fed law has a provision for those licensed by the state to carry and iwould hate to be the test case.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

PM

Me thinks Mr. jammer works for the school system therefore rammer is not paranoid only a person who like the paycheck received each month no matter how underpaid rammerjammer maybe!

In California those with a ccw permit are allowed to carry on campus. I suppose they think no one has them and that is why. As an employee you would most probably be fired if it was ever found out, but it is legal.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    Me thinks Mr. jammer works for the school system therefore rammer is not paranoid only a person who like the paycheck received each month no matter how underpaid rammerjammer maybe!
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, PM, you're right on target. I'm a teacher. I can't carry at work.

My point before was that there is a much smaller chance that there will be a shooter at my school than there is of me somehow being made and caught carrying. therefore I don't carry at work.
    gatorbait51 and PM like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links