Empty Chamber PTSD

This is a discussion on Empty Chamber PTSD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a month ago I carried all day and when i got home in the evening i decided to clean my gun. I pulled the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Empty Chamber PTSD

Empty Chamber PTSD

About a month ago I carried all day and when i got home in the evening i decided to clean my gun. I pulled the magazine out and when to clear the round from the chamber. To my extreme suprise the chamber was empty I had been carrying all day thinking i had one in the pipe and then later find out it was empty. I think I now have a PTSD or OCD because i have to check every single time i go to holster my gun in the morning. Just making sure that round didnt dissappear. I even had a dream last night that i had to draw and fire and heard that dredded "click"
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

2. Remove Ads

IMO everyday before you put your gun on, press check it. It IMO is one in the pipe insurance.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Maybe that gigantic Ruger loaded chamber indicator is actually a good design...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I have had that dream too. I have experienced that dreaded click once in a deer stand hasn't happen ever again in almost 30 years...
    gatorbait51 and NONAME762 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    About a month ago I carried all day and when i got home in the evening i decided to clean my gun. I pulled the magazine out and when to clear the round from the chamber. To my extreme suprise the chamber was empty I had been carrying all day thinking i had one in the pipe and then later find out it was empty. I think I now have a PTSD or OCD because i have to check every single time i go to holster my gun in the morning. Just making sure that round didnt dissappear. I even had a dream last night that i had to draw and fire and heard that dredded "click"
    I went out one day for a run and marveled at how light my edc was. It was light because it didn't have a mag in it. Stuff happens.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I chose a gun with a chamber loaded and a cocked indicators just for that reason.

Glocks & M&Ps have chamber indicators. Tactile (I suppose you could argue that its also visual), on the Glock, visual on the M&P. Nice features.

I give the edge to the Glock design. You can always "Feel" the raised indicator, even if you dont want to take time to look at it, or its too low light to see.

With the M&P, the visual indicator (peep hole), is actually pretty darn good, but in low light, or with black cased self defense rounds, its hard to tell sometimes.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'll do a press check in the morning.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.

When I first started carrying, I went all day without one in the pipe too. I've press checked before putting my gun on ever since. At least you (and I) didn't happen to need it that day!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I got dressed in a hurry one day and ran some errands. When I got home, I saw my 1911 still on the nightstand. The OWB holster was empty. It was a good thing that I carry a pocket BUG.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    No matter what I carry I easily check around 10 times a day. Every time I take my gun out of the holster or my pocket I check it. And do the same when I pick it up for both safety and for reassurance that I got one in the pipe. I've always been worried that I'd forget. I have forgotten to carry anything but my pocket knife before. I had too much going on at the time. Stuff happens
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    how about the time about 6 years ago i was dry fire practicing with my new j-frame and had a cyl full of snap caps....

and the next day got home after a full day out and about, and realized my gun was still fully loaded with snap caps. you'd think i'd have noticed the red aluminum case rims instead of shiny brass...
    NONAME762 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I am always in Condition 1. It's just a pretty piece or metal (or plastic) if it's not.
    redmc, msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Usually carry my SP easy to see cartridges or CZ has raised indicator on top
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I got dressed in a hurry one day and ran some errands. When I got home, I saw my 1911 still on the nightstand. The OWB holster was empty. It was a good thing that I carry a pocket BUG.
    Well I am so glad to hear I am not the only one here with Oldguyitis.

A month or so ago I left my house in kind of a hurry to do some stuff. I stopped at a store to get something when I realized my wallet was still at home. My DL and CC permit are in my wallet. Lucky for me my business was completed and I went straight home. I haven't screwed up like that since.
    gatorbait51 and msgt/ret like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links