concealment issue

This is a discussion on concealment issue within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so ive been officially carrying for about a week, ive gotten over the "everybody knows" fear but im having an issue. im not having a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: concealment issue

concealment issue

so ive been officially carrying for about a week, ive gotten over the "everybody knows" fear but im having an issue. im not having a printing issue, I went to visit a friend who knew I was carrying and said he was all but taking my clothes off with his eyes trying to figure out where my holster was. the issue im having is when I bend over, even slightly, like to pull my kid out of her car seat, the whole world knows im packing. is anyone having issues with rubber grips? that's honestly the only thing I can think is the issue but don't know how to stop that. the grip presses pretty hard (comfortably) against my back and the gun is tucked deep but still able to draw with no issue. any tips? ive tried longer shirts, button up shirts, jackets... they all pretty much flash to the world. any input would be appreciated!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

As long as its unintentional, it doesn't matter if it does show. The laws here in Tx were loosened up this year. If you're worried about people knowing? Not much you can do but bend your knees.

I constantly fight with it too. I'm just getting to the point where I'm like, o'well. So someone knows I'm carrying. At least this is Tx and lots of people carry here.

Congrats on starting to carry!

A few questions to help out: what type of gun? Inside or outside the waistband? What position, if 12 o'clock is your navel and 6 o'clock is your spine?

Generally, when carrying IWB, I put the gun at about 3:30 to avoid this issue.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

its a .38 revolver, iwb, and I carry at like 3:30-4:00... sorry to be so descriptive but where my butt cheek sorta curves in, my holster fits into that spot...

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    delete....

I guess it is a bit of worry that people wont take to kindly to seeing a gun.. bending at my knees doesn't seem to help either unless I keep my back straight. sitting down is an issues too but im working on posture haha

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_matt View Post
    I went to visit a friend who knew I was carrying and said he was all but taking my clothes off with his eyes trying to figure out where my holster was......

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Move your snubby to a front side CC around 2:00. Put it right infront of your hip bone. fat or skinny it will work there. . You can sit with no issues.
    Haywood, mano3 and tcox4freedom like this.

thanks, ill try a few spots today while im at work and see whats comfortable for me.. I renovate houses so im up and down all day, good testing ground for sure!

I use smooth grips on my carry handguns for the same issue. Rubber grips do what they are intended to do, grip something.
    WHEC724, OldVet, DingBat and 3 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    My only gun that's had the problem that you described, had rubber grips. The sticky stock grips on the 637 were constantly grabbing my shirt. So I replaced them with VZ grips. Problem solved.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member
    I've found the Pachmyer compact grips to work fine (SP101). The Hogue's don't.
    Any smooth wood or nylon grip will remedy the issue. If you carry just forward of your hip bone, as someone mentioned, you'll be able to sit and drive easily.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    Your friend was undressing you with his eyes? Maybe that's a different thread!

Don't sweat unintentional or brief showings. Texas law does not penalize you for unintentional displays of a firearm: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...f/SB00299I.pdf

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder’s person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place in a
    manner calculated to cause alarm and not pursuant to a justified use
    of force or threat of force as described in Chapter 9.

Just pull your shirt down or check to make sure you're covered. 99.999% of people out there will never even notice.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I carry mine in an IWB at the 11 o'clock position, makes it easy to reach with my right hand and no problem with clothing pulling up. Just wear a loose jumper and no-one knows it's there, it's held tight against my stomach and is very comfortable. I am 6'2" and weigh 175lbs with a 32" waist.. You might want to try a different position, nearer the front so that bending over does not expose the firearm.

Gray
    Kennydale likes this.

If there's a pistol grip it will print. The longer the grip the more they print.

As long as it doesn't look like a gun (and in the age of cell phones and do dads on belts) no one notices a bulge anymore.

Get a good gun belt and IWB holster, and wear loose and dark or patterned shirts and stop worrying about printing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links