Riding and carrying

This is a discussion on Riding and carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a lefty, so I normally carry 8:00 o clock or 10:00. When I ride my cruiser I switch to cross draw because it's more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Riding and carrying

Riding and carrying

I'm a lefty, so I normally carry 8:00 o clock or 10:00. When I ride my cruiser I switch to cross draw because it's more comfortable and I feel I have better access to my gun. Now when I ride the sport bike ( Yam. R6 ) it's a different deal. Because of the prone riding position it's very uncomfortable anything in front of you body. In the back, the gun prints out too much or the airfoil created while riding lifts up you shirt or jacket fully exposing the gun. You also feel the gun can fall off it's holster at any time. Even fanny packs press against the gas tank an behind your back shifts positions and offer no real access. Shoulder holsters just hang and pull on one side, (it's illegal to carry two weapons), creating an unbalanced feel. What can you come up with?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

TRX
    Andrews makes several holsters with an extra strap across the back, to keep stuff from hanging forward when you're bent over. It's easy enough to add a similar strap to most rigs.

Nevada Gunleather's "Combination" is a single-side rig with the attachment of the elastic strap very low, horizontal across the back.

Gun-side tie-downs are optional on several holsters, which also help keep the gun from moving forward.

Survival Sheath and Mernicke make "tanker" and "hunter" rigs, which position the gun across your stomach.

Kangaroo Carry is a high-ride belly band with a shoulder strap.

Note most shoulder rigs come with the holster positioned at the extreme end of the straps, so the gun swings low. In most cases, you want the holster pulled up migh higher and forward than the way they're shipped.

Shoulder Holsters
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Shoulder holster with double mag holders on the weak side to balance weight. Belt tie downs and you are good to go.
    JDE101, wysh and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    What specific model are you carrying?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I have a shoulder holster with the belt tie down. No flopping around at all and it is far enough to the side that riding your "crotch rocket" should be no problem (I assume that is what you are referring to by your riding position).
    Parrisk, gatorbait51 and wysh like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

My shoulder rig has 1/4" bungee strap belt tiedowns with quick adjustable spring adjusters.. like you find on jacket waitbands..
    keeps the holster where it needs to be but allows you to bend or stand without readjusting.

<-----Beretta PX4 9mm full size with a railmaster laser
    occasionally a Taurus 24/7 9mm
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What specific model are you carrying?
    Edc is a taurus 24/7 .45

Sell the crotch rocket, get a Harley. Problem solved. If you don't like that idea, what farsidefan1 said above should work.
    farsidefan1, CWOUSCG and 103FLHX like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

When I get home I'll try to post a photo of the bike and the riding position for a clearer idea of the needs. It's only fair.

Wysh, Get a dresser. Problem solved.
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Sell the crotch rocket, get a Harley. Problem solved. If you don't like that idea, what farsidefan1 said above should work.
    Keep the rocket and get the harley. That should be your advice
    CWOUSCG and JDE101 like this.

If you have your shoulder holster set up properly (high and tight) there should really not be any slack for it to hang at all. I don't use any side-straps and have no issues.

It's the only way I carry on the bike. I wear tight-fitting jackets so the wind can't lift anything up. That also prevents me from carrying around the waist.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wysh View Post
    Edc is a taurus 24/7 .45
    Check your personal message box
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Dual thigh rigs with a shotgun scabbard across your back should work, but you might stand out.

When I'm out for a ride I use a bellyband holster outside of my t-shirt but underneath my vest or jacket. I usually pull it up a little higher on the abdomen and then wear the gun above appendix carry (2 o'clock-ish). I also tend to select a very slim semi auto for this purpose, normally a Shield 9mm.

If the weather is cold, I am wearing a heavy leather jacket and there is an interior pocket which I can use to carry a handgun. If the weather is so warm that anything over a t-shirt will subject you to heat stroke, I'm more likely to just wear a fanny pack. This works on my Harley very well. On my sport bike, I just go with the fanny pack and turn it to the side when I'm riding. Then again, I'm not riding in that crouched of a riding position anyway -- my beer gut gets in the way a lot more than the fanny pack would. :)

I have also used a waist pouches similar to this on a web belt to put it on my strong side similar to a holster. I don't like carrying things in my pockets anyway, so it makes sense even if I wasn't carrying a handgun in it. You could kind of think of it as a rectangular holster.

https://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc...ll-70p1954.htm

There's a lot of different manufacturers and the one that I chose is not the Maxpedition model, but Maxpedition does make some quality gear and I have bought various of their other products. What I did was go to various "surplus" and "tactical" stores around town and bring the handgun in question with me and then tried each pouch out to see which would fit. Depending on the store, I would either do this in the changing room or would ask the owner beforehand. I don't want the owner to get nervous, so I bring the firearm into the store with the slide back and the empty magazine out of it so that he can be sure it is empty. I've never had a problem with this approach. I don't really consider trying out new holsters or concealment bags with a loaded firearm to be all that polite. It would be rather embarrassing if there was something in the bag that caught on the trigger and caused a ND.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or penicillin...

I HATE CENSORSHIP !!!

More info about me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links