Do you support Concealed Carry in public schools??

This is a discussion on Do you support Concealed Carry in public schools?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This includes Pre-K, elementary, middle/junior high, high schools and colleges/universities. I consider private schools/property a separate issue. They have the right to dictate carry/no carry ...

View Poll Results: Do you support Concealed Carry in public schools?

Voters
350. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for all who can legally CC.

320 91.43%
  • There should be additional restrictions for school carry. Please specify the restrictions.

26 7.43%
  • No - CC should never be allowed on school property.

4 1.14%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree605Likes

Thread: Do you support Concealed Carry in public schools??

This includes Pre-K, elementary, middle/junior high, high schools and colleges/universities.

I consider private schools/property a separate issue. They have the right to dictate carry/no carry on their property.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I support concealed and open carry everywhere.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Carrying open or concealed should be legal in all school venues. Recently the collage I am attending changed their policy from " You may carry a firearm if legally able to do so" to "No firearms/weapons at all."

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post

This includes Pre-K, elementary, middle/junior high, high schools and colleges/universities.

I consider private schools/property a separate issue. They have the right to dictate carry/no carry on their property.
    Yes, I believe lawful carry should be allowed everywhere.

And yes, I believe that publicly-accessible spots such as private schools should also allow carry. I disagree that one should have education held up as ransom for the RKBA, irrespective of the ownership of the school. It's a school, little different IMO than any other (public, state-run, private, whatever).

And yes, I also believe that at schools lawful carry should not be grounds for termination/dismissal of students under any circumstances.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The US Constitution knows NO bounds on US soil!

I support concealed carry in general. However, if you are talking about allowing teachers to cc, I still support that, but would want them to have additional training. Reason being they may have to act as First Responders and the additional training would benefit them and the students.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I think CCL holders should be able to carry everywhere except maybe courtrooms.

Yes, I should be able to take my gun into my classroom.

Those little signs don't seem to be working.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I'm used to that. I support CCDW in the public schools but I'm in favor of some further training. Specifically, I believe public school personnel take on some responsibility for the safety of the students in emergency situations. [Note: this is far different from being responsible for student safety as a blanket statement.]

Drawing a weapon in school would almost invariably be in an active shooter scenario. Any such scenario is difficult, but add the responsibility for a number of children and you've made a tough situation very complicated. Additional valid training would:
    1. enable teachers and staff to perform better in stressful situations;
    2. clarify the decision tree for teachers and staff;
    3. enable collaboration between faculty and staff in an active shooter scenario.

I'm sure there are reasons this isn't a good plan, not the least of which is charging various local administrations with designing and implementing valuable training. Still I think the job places teachers with some additional responsibilities in crisis (much like LEO's or EMT's).

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Yes, I should be able to take my gun into my classroom.

Those little signs don't seem to be working.
    Imagine how many fewer students would have been waxed at Virginia Tech, had the murderer entered rooms and met withering fire from several carriers the moment he made clear his intentions. Pretty little signs do nothing, you're right. Worse, they advertise the place is a target-rich environment.

Utah's colleges don't seem to be faring badly. Can't imagine any other colleges anywhere in the USA would fare much differently. The violent felons are still going to do what they do. This is strictly about the upstanding having the means of surviving such situations, IMO, nothing more.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For the competent, yes. There are some, regardless of 2A, that should not have guns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Imagine how many fewer students would have been waxed at Virginia Tech, had the murderer entered rooms and met withering fire from several carriers the moment he made clear his intentions. Pretty little signs do nothing, you're right. Worse, they advertise the place is a target-rich environment.

Utah's colleges don't seem to be faring badly. Can't imagine any other colleges anywhere in the USA would fare much differently. The violent felons are still going to do what they do. This is strictly about the upstanding having the means of surviving such situations, IMO, nothing more.
    I am a firm believer that some of these events would not even happen if the perp thought there was even a chance that some people in the building might be armed.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Only by well trained well qualified people, not just anybody legally able, that would put guns in the hands of people I wouldn't want shooting around my kids. Ever been to a public range with all the legal people, it can be scary and downright dangerous.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I grew up in Private Military Schools and many of my Teachers carried Openly. We never had a shooting or problem with violence in any of the Schools I attended.
    No One dared get out of line!

Not to mention our Parents would have killed us had we gotten in trouble in school.

I Private Schooled both of my children and would have had no problem with Legal CC on School Grounds.
    My son did decide to try Public School in his Junmior Year and I had to get him out of the Principals Office twice because he stood up to Bullies who were picking on a weaker student. He was 6'4" in High School and the Star Basketball Player.
    A popular Student in both private and Public School.
    He went back to his Private School to graduate for his Senior Year.

My wife is a retired school teacher and I would have had no problem with Legal Guns in any of her schools.
    Here in Texas we can carry concealed all the way up to the School House Door Legally.
    And some of our schools are arming their Teachers and School Staff! I am all for it.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

I vote yes because my state says I can carry concealed!
    Tn has a stand your ground law and if I have a reason for being on school property( I have three children ). I can't stand my ground if someone tries to take my life or my family's life!
    This is provided that I carry on school property just as responsible as I do anyplace else
    Anyplace that I do carry : I am responsible

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Links