Vacation to Maine and no reciprocity!

This is a discussion on Vacation to Maine and no reciprocity! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After much badgering from my wife, I booked a week in Maine with a quaint cabin on Mt. Desert island and so on ... but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Vacation to Maine and no reciprocity!

After much badgering from my wife, I booked a week in Maine with a quaint cabin on Mt. Desert island and so on ... but there is no reciprocity with my home state of Oklahoma. How am I going to last a whole week without my CCW piece on me? I can't fly it there in my checked luggage even, I suppose, and "leave it in the cabin or the rental car"...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Is there even any states that have Rec with maine .. Few if any ... I think they do issue non res permits though ... And
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    After much badgering from my wife, I booked a week in Maine with a quaint cabin on Mt. Desert island and so on ... but there is no reciprocity with my home state of Oklahoma. How am I going to last a whole week without my CCW piece on me? I can't fly it there in my checked luggage even, I suppose, and "leave it in the cabin or the rental car"...
    Get a non-resident permit from Main itself: http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...%20package.pdf

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Once again, my MI license pulls through...just gotta get through NY
    gatorbait51 likes this.

A TEN PAGE application form? Wow. Just wow!
    stylus and gatorbait51 like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Maine allows open carry.. Wouldn't that work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    Get a non-resident permit from Main itself: http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...%20package.pdf
    Just be prepared to wait a long time.. 95+ days so far since I submitted my application for the non-resident permit.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockHawk17 View Post
    Maine allows open carry.. Wouldn't that work for you?

Just be prepared to wait a long time.. 95+ days so far since I submitted my application for the non-resident permit.
    Don't have 95+ days. Gonna have to rely on my ninja-skills in lieu of my 2nd Amendment rights whilst at the lobstah pound.

If OC for a non resident was legal there thats what I would do,but thats me personally. Otherwise I dont go to states where I cannot be armed.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    If OC for a non resident was legal there thats what I would do,but thats me personally. Otherwise I dont go to states where I cannot be armed.
    I gave ME 3 months prior to vacation for processing (back then they stated 2 months). I finally had to drive to Augusta (90 miles from where we were vacationing) to pick it up (total time was almost 4 months). This was in 2012.

Yes OC is legal (not in a car however) w/o a ME license, but having spent 2-3 weeks vacationing in Southern ME over 3 years I can tell you that I NEVER saw anyone OC anywhere.

I don't know what their turn-around time is these days.
    CLASS3NH, mook012 and gatorbait51 like this.
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    You know what they say about Mt. Desert Island - "The Fallujah of Coastal Resort Islands." Godspeed, I hope you survive unarmed.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Just go West to VT.. "Permit to carry, what's that?"

Just as beautiful but sadly it borders with NY

Found a quaint otel in S. VT that states:
    20% discount with proof of NRA membership
    30% discount for NRA members who CC during your check-in and stay
    40% discount for NRA members who CC and go shooting with at the range with owner, during stay.

Gotta stay at a place like that!!!
    A Stone Wall Inn.* Green Certified.* Modern Eco-Friendly Bed & Breakfast
    stylus, Yetiman, bigdogtx and 1 others like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    You know what they say about Mt. Desert Island - "The Fallujah of Coastal Resort Islands." Godspeed, I hope you survive unarmed.
    Oh it will be okay; my pistol is just a back-up to my legally registered "fists of death" anyway...I'm sure we'll be alright.
    PEF, atctimmy, WC145 and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    The good news is that you'll be on an island. If the zombie apocalypse hits you'll just have to find a way to blow the bridge.
    stylus, PEF, WC145 and 1 others like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have been to Maine and Chicago unarmed multiple times over the last two years. I just can't avoid those places when family lives there. You get used to it. Just use good SA and you'll be fine.
    bigpapa, PAcanis and gatorbait51 like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I'm going there this summer as well. I have a PA non res permit so I'm GTG. Passing through NY state will still stink.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links