Sd9 ve 9mm

This is a discussion on Sd9 ve 9mm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought my first semi auto. I own a few smith & Wesson revolvers and finally bought a semi. I personally love the gun, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sd9 ve 9mm

New Member Array Firefighter9299's Avatar

Sd9 ve 9mm

I just bought my first semi auto. I own a few smith & Wesson revolvers and finally bought a semi. I personally love the gun, a few days after I bought it I fired 150 rounds with 1 misfire and that was the 9mm Luger ammo. The only other feedback I have heard from friends was trash talk because they like Taurus. Does anyone else own one or have insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, I never shot a SD9, but I am curious what features about it made you want to get it?

And welcome to the forum. If it is information based on experience and or knowledge, you will find it here.

They are a updated Sigma ( s&w glock knock off) .. They are good for what they are ... APAX makes better triggers etc for them ... Gun Review: Smith & Wesson SD9 VE | The Truth About Guns

The deal is the Sigma got a pretty bad rap for how bad it and the trigger etc was ... But most of thosue issue have been cleared up and apax trigger is out there so .. The above review states that the only real issue is the trigger ..

I think for what it is ( a first gun ) you could do a lot worse ...

I am curious though why did you pick this model? Price?

And what brand ammo did it misfire with ?

Oh and welcome from AZ
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member
    I like mine. Wouldn't be too concerned until you have 500 rounds downrange. I had a few hiccups at first, but its fine now. An underrated weapon in my opinion.
    j.riske likes this.

The only other feedback I have heard from friends was trash talk because they like Taurus.
    Anyone else catch this? LOL It's just not every day you hear a Taurus owner being able to bash on anything! Anyways, as far as the OP's question, the Sigma, SD9, SD9VE, etc are all similar in their design with the later production models being a bit better than the earlier examples. The ones I've handled have been reliable enough but the trigger isn't anything to write home about. Long, heavier than usual and a long reset is pretty common on these pistols. Then again, if you look at it like the DA revolver or want the "glory days' of the DAO automatics but in a striker fired pistol, I guess this could be an accurate assessment. I did see a lot of them in the hands of ANP types (generally officer grades) near Kandahar and they seemed to like them well enough. I still don't own one but I've been thinking of getting one just to keep around as a beat about/loaner gun and to see if I can improve the stock trigger any.

HAHAHAHAHA Taurus owners mocking a S&W????? Classic.

Enjoy your Smith. It will work just fine. It is an entry level Smith to be sure - but I'd rather have a low end Smith than any Taurus any day.

HAHAHAHAHA can't stop shaking my head over this. You, my friend, will be just fine with your lifetime warranty from a premiere American manufacturer.

Enjoy.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

I had one back in 1995, when SW was sued by Glock for patent violation. It shot low and left no matter what I did- first semiauto so I dealt with it for sentimental reasons. Fed and shot anything I ran . Same grip angle as the 1911. Since sold it. Kept the 17 rd mags.
    New SD version has a better trigger; I bought another as a spare to keep out on my property; took it for a steal so couldn't pass it up. It's a fine weapon at that price point; you could do a lot worse with a DB, hi point, Lorcin, etc. lol.

I had the SD9VE a while back, nice gun, accurate, good capacity, but that damn trigger...... Finally sold it because I just couldn't handle the trigger pull no more.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

The SD series came out in 2012 and did not exist before that. There is way too much misinformation and disinformation out there about this line so please be sure to wade through related posts with a grain of salt. The SD series has some common ancestry with the SW9VE and some common ancestry with the M&P, but it is really a standalone product. The idea was to produce a very capable self-defense handgun while keeping the gun as low-cost as possible, and Smith & Wesson did so with flying colors. They are easily found from $299-329 and come with two 16 round magazines.

I have one of the original SD9's (black melonite coated slide, front tritium sight, metal rear sight) and a couple of the later-introduced SD9 VE's (stainless steel slide with plastic sights). I have over 3,500 rounds through my original SD9 and 2,500 rounds through my first SD9 VE without a malfunction or parts breakage of any kind. Both are accurate, reliable, well-made, ergonomically friendly handguns. The product line is actually somewhat smaller and slimmer than the M&P (and even a little slimmer than the Glock 19). I replaced the stock sights with tritium sights intended for the M&P line as they are interchangeable. Even my MGW sight tool for the M&P worked perfectly on the SD9's.

The trigger is average, not as bad as some people claim and not as good as others claim. There is a fairly large amount of take up, a fairly firm break (8lbs or so) and a fairly long reset. The longer reset doesn't bother me because I have not bought into the Glockesque trigger being the end-all be-all. I did however drop $20 per gun on an Apex spring kit. It did help with the overall smoothness of the pull and dropped the weight down to approximately 6.5lbs. Eventually I added the $39 AEK trigger as well (one I got for free and the rest I purchased myself). The spring kit along with the AEK trigger pretty much eliminates pre-or post-travel and definitely gives the trigger a better feel. At this point it breaks around 6lbs even. I think it compares fairly well with a stock M&P or FNS-9.

I do not think that the SD9 is in the same league as the M&P or a Glock, nor is it in the same price point nor does it claim to be. It definitely compares well to the XD9 or Ruger SR9 and still comes in between $75 and $150 less than those models (and is a full step ahead of anything made by Taurus). Not everyone is a gun-nut (or gun snob) and not everyone needs a higher-end pistol. I on the other hand am a gun-nut, a gun snob and do prefer higher end pistols. I actually bought an SD9 to prove to a buddy of mine that you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. In my slightly more skilled hands I was able to outshoot him and his Glock 17 using the stock SD9. He ended up buying an SD9 a week or two later.

The SD9 is a very capable and good quality firearm. For the price it's almost incredible. Even with all the upgrades I have less than $400 into mine. I would not hesitate to give one to my wife or mom to use for home defense. I would not hesitate to carry one on my person or keep one next to my bed. They currently fill the role of bug-out-bag pistols and I think they're almost perfect for that role. This post is long enough so I will digress, but do not let anyone flip you crap over selecting an SD9. Chances are they are only doing so out of ignorance.

7thn.jpg
    cthruit and j.riske like this.

A great pistol that can be had for about $300.
    Trigger is about 8 lb pull so makes me think revolver like.
    If you mostly shoot wheel guns you are not going to have a issue with it.
    And the trigger smooths out a little over time or drop in an Apex kit for $23
    I like the way mine fits my hand better than a Glock. Perfect HD pistol.

I have the SD40VE which I bought after the NY SAFE Act was passed. Basically, I got it before they would stop selling pistols with 10 round magazines (NY's limit for 2 decades). I s the trigger perfect? No. but it doesn't have to be. These are self defense guns not competition guns. Mine has been a great reliable pistol especially for the price. It shoots anything except Tulammo BrassMaxx which I can live with. It has great ergonomics, truly I am surprised how good it feels in the hand. it has a Picatinny rail for a light. It is my nightstand gun and I have full confidence in it to protect me and my family. I can't give it a better endorsement.

Your friends like Taurus? Decent guns but comparing S & W to Taurus is like comparing Cadillac to a Yugo.

You did a lot better than your Taurus friends. Time for you to make fun of them!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first semi auto. May it serve you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mlk18 View Post
    The SD series came out in 2012 and did not exist before that. There is way too much misinformation and disinformation out there about this line so please be sure to wade through related posts with a grain of salt. The SD series has some common ancestry with the SW9VE and some common ancestry with the M&P, but it is really a standalone product. The idea was to produce a very capable self-defense handgun while keeping the gun as low-cost as possible, and Smith & Wesson did so with flying colors. They are easily found from $299-329 and come with two 16 round magazines. 7thn.jpg
    Thanks, mlk18. Lots of revisionist history floating around here.

This little gun is one of the best things S&W has done in a while. Not the best gun, but opening the door to a bunch of shooters who can't afford or want to buy a gun that's twice the price. It's reliable, shootable and affordable. Bought my son one. Maybe 600 rounds without a problem. Simple to break down. I wouldn't have a problem carrying one for self defense. Thinking of picking up one for a dedicated truck gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links