Reciprocity between states and age to obtain a permit. Help!!!

This is a discussion on Reciprocity between states and age to obtain a permit. Help!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi I'm new to the forum and I couldn't find an answer to this question on here. Im 19 and live in Indiana where I ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By 357and40
  • 1 Post By rstickle
  • 1 Post By Ianthin
  • 1 Post By Hoosier17

Thread: Reciprocity between states and age to obtain a permit. Help!!!

Reciprocity between states and age to obtain a permit. Help!!!

Hi I'm new to the forum and I couldn't find an answer to this question on here. Im 19 and live in Indiana where I have a license to carry a handgun. I plan on traveling to North Carolina over spring break. NC recognizes my states permit however, you must be 21 to obtain a permit in North Carolina. Does this make my permit void?

2. Remove Ads

According to Handgunlaw.us it states that they honor all other states permits,it does not state that you must be 21 to carry there,even tho you need to be 21 to get a NC license,you can transport a handgun at 18 yoa.I would say you are good to go
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks I was worried because the NC law says obey all firearms laws of NC and not your home state. Thanks again for clearing this up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier17 View Post
    Thanks I was worried because the NC law says obey all firearms laws of NC and not your home state. Thanks again for clearing this up for me.
    Thats my take on it,but somebody from NC will soon post that has a far better knowledge of their laws than I do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do kknow the answer to this question. If you get legal advice from an internet gun forum and it is wrong, who goes to jail - you or the guy who gave you the advice? The answer is: Y _ _

DO NOT TAKE LEGAL ADVICE FROM FOLKS ON A GUN FORUM! WE ARE NOT LAWYERS WITH YOUR BEST INTEREST AT HAND. Many of us know more than the average bear but the first answer you get on a forum may well land you in jail. (no offense Dukalmighty) Seek legal counsel so IF a problem arises you will have representation ready if/when you go to jail.

1: Call a lawyer that specializes in second amendment law.
    2: Email the NC state police with your question and keep a printout of their answer with you at all times while int he state. Having it in writing may save your ass.

Hope this helps.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

As the saying goes: "Legal advice given on the Internet is worth exactly what you pay for it."

My suggestion: Contact a NC Sheriff's Department, or the NC Attorney General's office to ask your question. Either that, or a NC 2A attorney.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    DO NOT TAKE LEGAL ADVICE FROM FOLKS ON A GUN FORUM! WE ARE NOT LAWYERS WITH YOUR BEST INTEREST AT HAND. Many of us know more than the average bear but the first answer you get on a forum may well land you in jail. (no offense Dukalmighty) Seek legal counsel so IF a problem arises you will have representation ready if/when you go to jail.

2: Email the NC state police with your question and keep a printout of their answer with you at all times while int he state. Having it in writing may save your ass.
    This!! ^^^^^

And remember usually reciprocity agreement states that you must obey the laws of the State you are carrying in, not your home state. If NC requires their residents to be 21 I'm guessing you will be out of luck when you hear back from the NC authorities. Also if you carry underage and get caught, you could end up barred from carrying in any State.
    Ianthin likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Always been my understanding that even if another state recognizes your permit, you still have to go by their rules. Certainly worth a talk with a NC lawyer IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    OD* likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    When it comes to me wanting to know a law,i also want to see it in writing,not by word of mouth..

Taking someone's word on something isn't good enough.Ask someone who is in the legal field and can show you where this law is and explain it.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL..._14-415.24.pdf

This is self-explanatory. Don't read things into it that aren't there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No legal advice here, but the conditions of any permit reciprocity is you must honor the CC laws of that state. While NC honor permits issued by other states, NC also says you must be 21 to CC. To me that's cut and dried, yours will not be honored, but--contact a NC lawyer versed in firearm law or the state AG with you specific question.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Called the AG office this morning. The woman who answered the phone couldn't answer my question but said she would get back to me with an answer. I'll be sure to post her response on here. Thanks guys for all the input.
    357and40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No legal advice here, but the conditions of any permit reciprocity is you must honor the CC laws of that state. While NC honor permits issued by other states, NC also says you must be 21 to CC. To me that's cut and dried, yours will not be honored, but--contact a NC lawyer versed in firearm law or the state AG with you specific question.
    NC law does not say that you must be age 21 to CC. It says you must be age 21 to be issued a NC carry permit. Two very different things.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstreet View Post
    NC law does not say that you must be age 21 to CC. It says you must be age 21 to be issued a NC carry permit. Two very different things.
    Which is why I said no legal advice and to check with authorities versed in NC CC law. Either or both of us could be wrong, depending on the situation. Likewise FL doesn't issue CWFLs to under 18 (military being the exception) but an 18 year old can conceal a loaded firearm inside a private conveyance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links