order in which to do things?

This is a discussion on order in which to do things? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been planning on getting my concealed permit. it is something I have always thought about but never quite done. the gun I own ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: order in which to do things?

I have been planning on getting my concealed permit. it is something I have always thought about but never quite done.

the gun I own is not something I would carry concealed. its a tarus 38 special 3" barrel. I have not had a back ground check for a gun since 2004. I bring that up because a friend of mine just failed a back ground check even though he previously passed one 10 years ago and he has no idea why he could have failed. I have heard mistakes happen pretty regularly.

I was thinking of taking the class today at a gun show but last night I started to wonder if I should jump to that point yet.

I don't have my carry gun and I don't quite have the money for it. money is a little tight right now. And the class is $90 and thats not what most people would concider a lot of money but I don't want to tie it up needlessly either.

should I hold off on the concealed permit until I have passed my back ground and purchased and PRACTICED with my new fire arm? Or should I just get it even if I may not use it for another year or possibly 2 years.
    Chasejax and gatorbait51 like this.

If I were you, I'd start shopping for a concealable gun first. If you pass the background check for a gun purchase, sign up for the class. It'll be useful knowledge whether you obtain a CCW permit or not. Once you have your cert from the class, it's only a matter of paperwork and filing fees at that point.

Distinguished Member
    I agree with DanielC. First the background check, then the class.
    When I took my class, we had people that have never shot a gun before and people that had been shooting for years. In SC, there is a 50 round shooting test and a written. Had to get 70% or better on both. If you are familiar with the gun you now have, use that for the test, then make the transition to your carry gun later, once you have the permit.

Good Luck
    gatorbait51 and DanielC like this.

Let me give you some GREAT advice...
    Call the department of agriculture and licensing TODAY and go ahead and make an appointment. I say this because recently did mine and there was a 1&1/2 month wait untill the next meeting. So book the meeting then just be sure to go take the class before your meeting.
    Its been 3 weeks since my meeting and ive yet to recieve my license -_-
    Its such a long waiting game.

And im in florida too, which is why I told u all this.

Make meeting first.
    Then take class.
    Get all that out of the way itll take months before you get your license from today maybe 5 or 6.

Also your class certificate may only be good for a year, and it was 112.00 for the meeting with the department of ag yada yada.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    You should check the Florida licensing requirements. In at least one state I know of, you must have taken the class within the previous twelve months so you wouldn't want to wait too long. Other than that, I agree that the knowledge could be useful to have. Also, it takes a while to truly assimilate the knowledge into your everyday life. That's where this forum can help you to think through various aspects of Concealed carry ahead of time.

When considering the costs involved, don't forget that you will need to invest in a good holster and belt too.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; March 8th, 2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo
    gatorbait51 and DanielC like this.

Background checks are very weird. Because I drove a truck and handled hazardous material my CDL needed a background check. Because i went into chemical plants on a waterway (They came under USCG Security) I needed a more extensive BC known as TWIC. I also have my TX CHL another BC. SO when I fly somewhere and order tickets on line, my wife can print her boarding pass at home.... WHILE, I have to show up at airlines and present PHOTO ID to get a boarding pass ?
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bouts View Post
    I have been planning on getting my concealed permit. it is something I have always thought about but never quite done.

the gun I own is not something I would carry concealed. its a tarus 38 special 3" barrel. I have not had a back ground check for a gun since 2004. I bring that up because a friend of mine just failed a back ground check even though he previously passed one 10 years ago and he has no idea why he could have failed. I have heard mistakes happen pretty regularly.

I was thinking of taking the class today at a gun show but last night I started to wonder if I should jump to that point yet.

I don't have my carry gun and I don't quite have the money for it. money is a little tight right now. And the class is $90 and thats not what most people would concider a lot of money but I don't want to tie it up needlessly either.

should I hold off on the concealed permit until I have passed my back ground and purchased and PRACTICED with my new fire arm? Or should I just get it even if I may not use it for another year or possibly 2 years.
    Did your friend get a fail, or a wait? There is a big difference.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

WHILE, I have to show up at airlines and present PHOTO ID to get a boarding pass ?
    It might be your teeth

Bureaucracy in action.

The recent FL applicants should be able to give you the best guidance. Good luck.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Take the class, meet some people get ideas on your new purchase, apply for permit. You will meet some people in the class that may help you find the right gun at the right price, they may also talk holsters and set ups. Most of us here have a drawer full of holsters. Try and avoid that. Plenty of time shop and research while waiting for the permits
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Most of us here have a drawer full of holsters. Try and avoid that.
    Best solution I've found is to buy quality leather. No guarantee, but it tends to be the cheap stuff that goes in the drawer.

To the OP: Gun first. CCW is nice but not essential.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Did your friend get a fail, or a wait? There is a big difference.
    he got a fail. At least thats what he said. They may have said wait and he assumed fail. He had to send some paper work off to get a reply and find out why
    gatorbait51 likes this.

To clarify: in Florida training does not expire. They recently changed the requirements that the instructor has to sign and print his name, so I had to print my instructors name on my 3 year old training certificate when I applied recently. But otherwise, my old training was totally valid.
    gatorbait51 and Hoganbeg like this.

Well let me ask you.. if you take the class and pass, its done - right? If you pass the background today and do not apply for your ccw until a year or more from now, wont they need to run another background anyway?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Indecision can get you killed that is what the Master Chief also the Chief of Detectives said, so my answer is do something now before it's to late. It does not hurt to take a class with or without a permit but do something. Putting money into education for ones self is always a good investment and I have never been disappointed and I am so poor it's hard for me to pay attention.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Take the class and get your CCW. You're going to need that regardless; assuming you're not prohibited from possessing firearms, any gun you carry doesn't necessarily have to be purchased or owned by you. You might also learn things in your course that influence subsequent purchase decisions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links