Going to CCW class today

This is a discussion on Going to CCW class today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since work has slowed down a lot and FINALLY gave me a good weekend off I am gonna head off to the two day CCW ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ianthin

Thread: Going to CCW class today

Going to CCW class today

Since work has slowed down a lot and FINALLY gave me a good weekend off I am gonna head off to the two day CCW class nearby

After that I will head to the Sheriffs office to apply for my CHL, which I am absolutely certain I will have a short wait time since my name is very rare haha.

So in a week or so I will be a CHL holder yayyyy

I will make sure to keep you all updated, thanks everyone

2. Remove Ads

Good luck, and keep us posted

Good luck

Good luck! If it's anything like KY the legalese will nearly put you to sleep, but the end result is worth it.
    Ghost1958 and bigwill72 like this.

Illinois is the same as Kentucky it sounds like. The most mind numbing legalese to the point of considering running from the room screaming. The only thing that saved me was that the instructors were smokers so about every twenty to thirty minutes we took a break. Take caffeine....or maybe an adrenaline shot along. In the end worth it but man it makes a long day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post
    Illinois is the same as Kentucky it sounds like. The most mind numbing legalese to the point of considering running from the room screaming. The only thing that saved me was that the instructors were smokers so about every twenty to thirty minutes we took a break. Take caffeine....or maybe an adrenaline shot along. In the end worth it but man it makes a long day.
    How do you make a class that should take 1 day last 4?

LOTS and LOTS of breaks!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

8 hrs in TN. Took mine with my son. Made for a good day.

GH
    I can remember my CC class very clearly. Not at all boring. I didn't take one, lol. Not required for Veterans in Wisconsin. I just had to send in my proof of Military service with the application. When WI first got a CC law a little over 2 years ago the law read the class had to be a minimum of 4 hours but that was soon amended to no particular time limit as long as the required subjects were covered. I'm not sure what the class costs but I've seen ads for $50 in the Milwaukee area.

Good luck MadScientist & try to stay awake in class.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Have fun and enjoy and learn. If the instructor is good, it is a valuable learning experience, which is what it is suppose to be. From basics on firearms to handling and safety of firearms to the gun laws and to actual range shooting under strict control of the instructor who should let you know if you are doing things wrong, I found my course taught by a Deputy Sheriff in SC to be invaluable. I also had a fried chicken lunch with grits and veggies by his wife thrown in for free. All done in 1 day--hopefully 2 days gives you even more info.

Wife and I took our class 5 years ago and it was not boring. I'd been shooting since I was a kid and my wife was not exactly a novice either, but we both learned a lot. But then, we had a very good instructor! Just like when I was in college, a "bad" instructor can make the most interesting subject boring, whereas a "good" instructor can take rather bland material and make it interesting!

BTW, welcome to the club!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Good for you my daughter finished her classes and received her state permit and her Utah permit is on the way

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post
    I had to do the eight hour law lecture, but I like studying the law so I found it very interesting. I really should have waited before practically memorizing the statute though. The class part was a five hour statute re-hash for me.

Of course, they can't be certain that anyone that wasn't forced to learn the statute would actually do so on their own, hence the second part of the class.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

How did the class go?

Class was good, we went through a LOT including a very long legal brief. Instructor was extremely good and detailed with a lot of advice to take after classes which I will follow ie- talking to a good lawyer, lifestyle changes, etc. Today is when we spend lots of time on the range.

Like some recent threads have stated, there were few younger people that go to CCW classes. I was one of three in a class of 31 total that was in mid 20s. Everyone else was 30s+

Hey everyone the two day class was awesome. We got to train on shooting from cover and moving targets which made the 150 dollar class a very worthwhile investment. They finished off with a lot of great advice and further recommendations Tomorrow I will head to the sheriff's office to put in my application for my chl.

I definitely plan on taking more training including advanced pistol and classes at TDI which is fairly close to me. I plan on that during summer.

I will keep you updated on my progress :)

Links