concealed class costs? and class procedures (in florida)

This is a discussion on concealed class costs? and class procedures (in florida) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I figured seeing it was only $90 I would just go ahead and get the class taken care of and would use my 38 special ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jenatron

Thread: concealed class costs? and class procedures (in florida)

I figured seeing it was only $90 I would just go ahead and get the class taken care of and would use my 38 special as my carry until I got something better unless I buy a cheap $250 semi auto to get by with for now.

but I found out what i had heard was incorrect.

the class was $130 for a 90 minute class. Then I found out I would have to pay an additional $70 to the state and $10 to a local range to load and fire 3 shots. and I haven't been able to figure out if my finger prints and picture were included.

$70 is the application fee you pay to the state when you mail your application in. Electronic fingerprinting has a ~$35 fee you pay to a participating sheriff's office. You have to send a passport photo in with your application. I paid about $10 to have mine done at CVS. OR you can have all of that done for you at a regional licensing office, which will cost about the same or a little less, but you need to make an appointment for that.
    You can find virtually all the information you need about the application process at the Division of Licensing's website. Your CCW class should also provide you with a packet detailing everything you need to do.
    SigIsTheAnswer likes this.

VIP Member
    Unless something changed my FL application fee total was $117.00.

Not including fingerprints or class.

Can't get away from the state fees. You can take a hunters education course from FWC, which I believe are free. Check out their websites
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

If you served,your DD214 is accepted in place of any class.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

nothing wrong with carrying a .38sp... I'd trust just about any one of those over a cheap semi-auto any day when my life is on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    nothing wrong with carrying a .38sp... I'd trust just about any one of those over a cheap semi-auto any day when my life is on the line.
    I like the gun. I still think revolvers have to be more reliable than semi autos. its just that its bulky and heavy.

50 bucks a class and 50 bucks for the permit. Good for 5 years.

50 is what classes cost around me... shop around on that part. 130 is outrageous.

Also it cost 112.00 to submit the application to the state.
    Let me give u some time saving advice. Go ahead and make a meeting with the department of agriculture & licensing because there has been roughly a 1 or 2 month long wait. Then just be sure to take the class some weekend before you go to your meeting to be fingerprinted and all that.

Had someone told me this, I would have saved a month and a half of wait time.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Can't get away from the state fees. You can take a hunters education course from FWC, which I believe are free. Check out their websites
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    If you served,your DD214 is accepted in place of any class.
    Two Very good proofs that a paid class is unnecessary to obtain a Florida license.

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
    • any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
    • any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.
    • Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
    • active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
    • former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    50 bucks a class and 50 bucks for the permit. Good for 5 years.

Let's see.

Costs vary on where you take a course (If you even need to), Wrong and wrong.

The permit costs total more than just $50. It's roughly $115 when all is said and done. Fl resident permits are good for 7 years.

I'll throw this tidbit in there as well. You do not need to make an appointment and the Dept of Ag and Licensing. That's just a "One Stop Shop" so to speak.

You can fill out all the paperwork, get finger prints (electronic is the best IMO) and your "passport" photo all on your own, then just stop by the Dept of Ag and Licensing with your check and drop it off there. They'll do a check to make sure you have everything then they will send it all off to Tallahassee.

Links