Reminder: Run your guns

This is a discussion on Reminder: Run your guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been a while since I'd hit the range, and today was great weather so I grabbed the Mossberg 500 Persuader (shown above) and the LC9. ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By shockwave
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By Richardin52
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: Reminder: Run your guns

Been a while since I'd hit the range, and today was great weather so I grabbed the Mossberg 500 Persuader (shown above) and the LC9. Brought the SR22 too, just for fun.

Here's the PSA part of this post: Took me a minute to figure out the Mossberg's administrative unload procedure and I fumbled a bit looking for the slide release. Got the weapon ready with 00 buckshot and aimed at my downrange target at 15 yards. Pulled the trigger and ... nothing - the safety was on.

My familiarity with the weapon had degraded to the point that it would not have served me well in a HD situation.

First round rocked me back on my heels. I'd also forgotten how hard it kicks. After a half box of shells through it, I was getting the hang of it again and the slide was running great. By the end of the session it was comfortable and I was putting the rounds on target. At 30 feet or so, the pattern was about the size of a dinner plate. At HD distances, this thing is totally devastating. Your "go-to" option.

Next up was my primary carry, the LC9. No problems at all. The trigger pull is long, but breaks predictably and butter-smooth. I've pulled the mag disconnect safety and added a Galloway Precision steel guide rod, and it's just a solid gun. Tried Federal, American, Remington, no problems to report. Some of the members here don't like the LC9 for various reasons and I don't argue. We all have our own preferences. But guys, this gun is such a tack driver. Pull the trigger, it will go bang. Revolver-class reliability.

It's also not easy to hit the X with it. First few rounds were fliers. Took me a couple of magazines' worth of ammo to get my stance and grip right and then got decent groups.

All the above goes for the SR22. Ran 100 rounds of American through it, not one FTF or FTE. Fast, smooth, but again took a bit of adjustment to get the rounds going where I wanted them to go.

If you haven't been to the range lately, or if there's a gun or two in your lineup you haven't shot in a while, break 'em out and take 'em dancing.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

"If you haven't been to the range lately, or if there's a gun or two in your lineup you haven't shot in a while, break 'em out and take 'em dancing."

Great advice. I had the same moment of realization when I took my SIG M4 out dancing the other week for the first time in a long time. I fumbled a bit with it and it was embarrassing. After two mags, I was back in my groove and it was like I never put it down. The long guns here tend to get neglected.
    shockwave likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I would to see the holster you conceal carry that thing in. You worried about an invasion?
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

Both wife and I run our EDCs at least once a week in SD drills. May not run through a ton of ammo each time but the frequency is to stay sharp and not let skills fade from not being used.

Run the long guns not as often as that but try to run the SKS Shotty etc once a month.
    shockwave likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Sponsored Links