Military Discharge Status and CCW

This is a discussion on Military Discharge Status and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NC and want to get my CCW permit. I was discharged from the Navy in 2004 after 5 years of service. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Military Discharge Status and CCW

Military Discharge Status and CCW

I live in NC and want to get my CCW permit. I was discharged from the Navy in 2004 after 5 years of service. I understand that I must present my DD214 when I apply with my local Sheriff's office. My issue is that while my character of discharge is Honorable, I have a JFX separation code and RE-4 reentry code. The narrative reason for separation say Personality Disorder. I had some issues with depression that have not reoccurred since my discharge. Anyway, after extensive Google searches, I have been unable to find a definitive answer to whether or not this will prevent acquiring my permit. If anyone has any knowledge or experience that may answer this question I would appreciate the info before I spend the money for the application and the class. Also, I completed a NC BLET course at a local community college about two years ago but never pursued a career in law enforcement. Does anyone know if the completion certificate can be presented instead of the safety course?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

1) Welcome to the forum!
    2) Can't help you with NC regulations.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Welcome to DC. There's folks who might know here. As I understand it an Honorable Discharge is as good as gold.
    I can't help you with NC Law.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    I have not heard of a Sheriff requiring a DD-214 all there is on the form asking if you had ever received a Dishonorable Discharge. I do not know about the NC BLET course but the state does require an original certificate from a North Carolina qualified instructor.

Here are the requirements from the Handgunlaw.us website.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf
    gatorbait51 and shadowwalker like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia. Can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Welcome from PA. I do not know the answer to your question, but i would doubt that they would look up what your discharge code was, especially seeing honorable discharge. the only problem i could foresee is if the VA flagged you. never know until you try. Thank you for your service and good luck.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    http://www.ncdoj.com/Files/About-DOJ...rint-ONLY.aspx

Above is the link to the NC application. See question 12
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    http://www.ncdoj.com/Files/About-DOJ...rint-ONLY.aspx

Above is the link to the NC application. See question 12
    Some of the items listed under disqualifying offenses are a bit odd if you ask me.
    It's Range Time!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. The website for my local sheriff's office specifically states that I will need to bring my DD214 with me when I file the application. I believe that I will take it to them this week and ask them directly.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with getting your permit.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Just remember, you will also have to sign a release for mental health records so you may have to show where the issues you encountered are no longer occurring.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I don't have any mental health records outside of the Navy; at least as far as adulthood. I had a psych eval in 2nd grade because they thought I was dyslexic. I rarely finished any of the work they assigned. Apparently I was just bored and hated doing it. As far as checking my military record, I have already tried to get a copy myself with no luck. I didn't think to get it at time of discharge. However, the same sheriff's office has issued me multiple pistol permits. But I assume that the background check for CCW is much more thorough. If I am up front about everything, maybe there will be no problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowNC View Post
    I don't have any mental health records outside of the Navy; at least as far as adulthood. I had a psych eval in 2nd grade because they thought I was dyslexic. I rarely finished any of the work they assigned. Apparently I was just bored and hated doing it. As far as checking my military record, I have already tried to get a copy myself with no luck. I didn't think to get it at time of discharge. However, the same sheriff's office has issued me multiple pistol permits. But I assume that the background check for CCW is much more thorough. If I am up front about everything, maybe there will be no problem.
    For a DD-214 or military records here is a good place to start.

Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    If you want your military health records you can get them. If you've had a hard time get in touch with the nearest American Legion post and they'll take care of you.

You have a discharge under honorable conditions, thus there is nothing to restrict you from receiving your permit. The fact that the Navy doesn't want you back does not indicate dishonorable service, it just points out that the military isn't for everyone. You should be fine.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks for the feedback and information. I will be sure to post updates in case anyone else has a similar concern.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links