Went shooting today, good results, but problems with grip

This is a discussion on Went shooting today, good results, but problems with grip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a range today and shot off 165 rounds (all I had with me). Made some startling finds. 1) My strong hand only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Went shooting today, good results, but problems with grip

Distinguished Member

I went to a range today and shot off 165 rounds (all I had with me).
    Made some startling finds.
    1) My strong hand only grip is more accurate than two hand. (but follow up shot is slower)
    2) gripping with a 60/40 grip my left hand (weak) slides off after each shot. The tighter I tried to grip with weak hand, the more it slipped.
    3) gripping with a 40/60 grip (strong hand 60) my shots go low to left

A couple givens, I have a slight tremor in my hands, I was shooting at 5 yds, shot my Beretta PX4 9mm Compact.

I am curious if my gun grip is wrong size. See picture
    Grip.JPG

I tried to allign my weak hand at 45 degree with left index finger resting on bottom of trigger guard.

Any of the 1000's of experts out there have any suggestions?
    gatorbait51 and rugergunner like this.

VIP Member
    A dozen different grips will get you a dozen different results. I try to stick to a two-handed, thumbs forward grip with no pressure from the support hand.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Why dont you try 100 percent grip and forget about all the 60/40 stuff.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

You didn't really make it clear, to me at least, if your handgun was slipping after each shot. In the photo. it appears you have a death grip on the little guy...that can cause tremors or is it a medical condition ?

Please, show a photograph of a two hand hold...60/40 doesn't mean much to me...does it mean pressure or palm surface ??

Maybe something like Talon grips would help....TALON Gun Grips for Beretta PX4 Storm Full Size 9mm/ .40/ .45 ACP

Here is a video reference..

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Why dont you try 100 percent grip and forget about all the 60/40 stuff.
    I learned from Magpul and others that 60% of the grip on the gun is from the support hand, and 40% is from strong hand. This is done so the trigger finger is not in a tension state and can squeeze uniformly.
    Not sure I understand about 100% unless my strong hand has full control of gun.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Here is a video reference..

I have seen this before, and that is what I was trying to do. But the tighter I tried to get my left (support) hand, the more the left hand slipped off as I shot

Distinguished Member
    Maybe since all ten of my one handed shots where bulls eyes, I should load with the new RIP round and just count on the one shot? lol

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    I went to a range today and shot off 165 rounds (all I had with me).
    Made some startling finds.
    1) My strong hand only grip is more accurate than two hand. (but follow up shot is slower)
    2) gripping with a 60/40 grip my left hand (weak) slides off after each shot. The tighter I tried to grip with weak hand, the more it slipped.
    3) gripping with a 40/60 grip (strong hand 60) my shots go low to left

A couple givens, I have a slight tremor in my hands, I was shooting at 5 yds, shot my Beretta PX4 9mm Compact.

I am curious if my gun grip is wrong size. See picture
    Grip.JPG

I tried to allign my weak hand at 45 degree with left index finger resting on bottom of trigger guard.

Any of the 1000's of experts out there have any suggestions?
    Yeah, the handgun is tough to be competent with. It takes continual practice. I get that stupid "shaky hands" sometimes, then the next time I am as steady as a rock!?! Go figure.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Try pulling with your off hand and pushing with your right hand. It works for some folks.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Try pulling with your off hand and pushing with your right hand. It works for some folks.

Interesting idea. I have heard of that for when carrying a flashlight, but not a two handed grip. is the pulling and pushing in relation to me and target? If not, I am very confused (which my wife says to me often anyway)

Just apply a light pulling force with your left hand and push lightly with your right. Use a high grip to help with flip.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Maybe since all ten of my one handed shots where bulls eyes, I should load with the new RIP round and just count on the one shot? lol
    You are answering your own question in regards to a percentage of grip with the left hand. When you don't apply grip pressure with it, you are getting hits.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    I understand about the trembling. I have a condition called familial trembling. Not parkinsons but as I hit 60 I noticed some trembling in my hands. No big deal at closer range. Over 10 yards it begins to show.

I don't put much pressure on the sides of the grips. I push with the strong hand and pull with the off hand, but certainly not a death grip. My grip looks exactly like the video, hmm, must have had similar training. I am significantly better with 2 hands than one although I am fairly accurate with either hand (lots of practice).
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I learned from Magpul and others that 60% of the grip on the gun is from the support hand, and 40% is from strong hand. This is done so the trigger finger is not in a tension state and can squeeze uniformly.
    Not sure I understand about 100% unless my strong hand has full control of gun.
    The video I posted was from magpul. Travis talks about 100% and 100%. Reasons are given as to why....

I have seen this before, and that is what I was trying to do. But the tighter I tried to get my left (support) hand, the more the left hand slipped off as I shot
    Role your support hand wrist farther forward. Then grip the weapon. See if that helps...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links