took my concealed weapon class today

This is a discussion on took my concealed weapon class today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; after considering what everyone here had to say about it and biting my lip over the price which was more than I had initially planned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: took my concealed weapon class today

took my concealed weapon class today

after considering what everyone here had to say about it and biting my lip over the price which was more than I had initially planned I decided I should just get it done.

class was 90 min. cost $130 for the class, finger prints, back ground, picture and a very short gun handling test. It was good that everything was together except I had to go to a local range for the gun handling. If I had done this at the gun store I would have had to go to another location for finger prints and do my picture myself.

I think I paid an extra $15 for convenience but it was worth it.

I only learned one thing i didn't already know.

every time I drove by a school on my way to the range I was committing a federal offense because of my gun. here in florida you can have a loaded gun in your car if it is stowed in the glove box or in a case but that still is against federal law when driving within 1000 feet of a school.

the concealed weapon permit cancels that federal law but I am unsure why.

any way its done and now I have one more fee of $70 to pay to the state and the long wait for my license.

and I also bought some of the best pumpkin bread I have ever tasted from stacey's tasties who had a booth set up at the gun show.

good day today.
    stylus and Blue_Smoke13 like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congratulations - on taking the class and on finding the great pumpkin bread. Good luck on getting your license quickly.....whatever that means these days in FL.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    For $130 it seems like you should have gotten a much better class. Unless the main draw was to get the class over with as quickly as possible.
    84160 likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Congratulations. You are now part of the massive group that are waiting for that license/permit in the mail.
    deadsexy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Congratulations on your first steps! As you get more involved with actually carrying you will probably find you have more specific questions you hadn't previously thought of. Just keep clearing your questions as you go and think ahead as much as possible. That's what we are all here for.

By the way, I've found that nearly everything in life worth having is priced a little more (sometimes a lot more) than I planned to pay.

Congrats. Learn and be careful!

Congratulations, Practice often as you can,stay safe and the life you may save could be yours or someone you care about. My wife bakes a great pumpkin bread, I will have some tomorrow, she just told me.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    congrats. it is a great start for training, but dont let this be the end of your training.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

It's $112 for the CWP state application fee, how are you paying $70? Did you go to the Lakeland gun show?
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

In Texas, its half priced for vets
    Quote Originally Posted by saigaguy View Post
    It's $112 for the CWP state application fee, how are you paying $70? Did you go to the Lakeland gun show?

Congrats. I would have expected a lot longer class for that amount of money! Now take some advanced classes, that actually involve shooting several hundred rounds at different ranges under different conditions.
    84160 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by bouts View Post
    every time I drove by a school on my way to the range I was committing a federal offense because of my gun. here in florida you can have a loaded gun in your car if it is stowed in the glove box or in a case but that still is against federal law when driving within 1000 feet of a school.
    If that were a federal law then no state could allow carry on schools.
    JDE101 likes this.

Federal law = 1,000 feet of school?? Well crap, my backyard abuts the playground of a grade school. Guess I should just get rid of all my weapons.

I kinda think the instructor got a bit overzealous there pardner. But I'll look just to make sure, ah heck, it's not worth it. I know it's nonsense.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    Federal law = 1,000 feet of school??
    Arkansas' initial CCW regulations circa late '80s had similar wording. The attorney general considered "the street" to be part of the prohibited zone, which meant I would have made it about two miles from the house before I ran into a part of the road I wasn't allowed to CCW on, there being schools allover the place here. There were several other gotchas in the initial law, and I decided not to get a license at the time.

Things have loosened up steadily ever since. I guess they had to start somewhere...

My wife's BFF took her CHL class over a weekend (Since then they have shortened the TX CHL classes) hers cost $120.00 but included the Motel room.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links