First time in 12 years. a little nervous.

This is a discussion on First time in 12 years. a little nervous. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use to cc everyday when I lived in IN for about 7 years. 12 years ago we moved to Illinois, so cc went out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: First time in 12 years. a little nervous.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

I use to cc everyday when I lived in IN for about 7 years. 12 years ago we moved to Illinois, so cc went out the window. While I'm still waiting to take my IL class , me and the wife received our UT permits last summer and I received my FL permit last Sept. We did this since we usually do a lot of day trips to MO with the kids. Funny thing is since getting the permits the few times we have gone to Mo has been 6flags where of course you can not carry. Well today with the forecast of nice weather we thought it would be good day for a field trip to MO and maybe even the ST Louis zoo. I plan on carrying today for the first time in over 12 years and its got me just a little bit nervous. Not sure why. I'm pretty confident I wont print since I have been wearing the gun and holster around the house and church office off and on.I guess that is my main concern. Did anyone else feel a little nervous when they started carrying or carrying again?
    RickyD likes this.

I was a bit nervous the first few days. It quickly went away tho, and now I feel uncomortable when I'm not carrying
    RebelSoul and JDE101 like this.

First day of CC in Illinois, I'd be fairly jittery as well. Are you certain you've got the complete list of where you are and aren't permitted to be carrying? Not on a bus, not in a cab, not within 30mi of a school, not within sight of a nun, etc etc.

Congrats on the newly-minted CHL, my friend.

Back when, I was a bit interested in whether folks would see through my concealment, those first few days, sure. But, beyond that, I wasn't much worried about things.

In your case, though, the nice thing is that you've carried previously. I'm sure you'll get rid of the jitters in no time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You'll be fine...take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by cjkent View Post
    You'll be fine...take your time.
    That's what she said...

OP congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    First day of CC in Illinois, I'd be fairly jittery as well. Are you certain you've got the complete list of where you are and aren't permitted to be carrying? Not on a bus, not in a cab, not within 30mi of a school, not within sight of a nun, etc etc.

Congrats on the newly-minted CHL, my friend.

Back when, I was a bit interested in whether folks would see through my concealment, those first few days, sure. But, beyond that, I wasn't much worried about things.

In your case, though, the nice thing is that you've carried previously. I'm sure you'll get rid of the jitters in no time.

Sorry I might of confused you. I can not cc in IL yet. I'm talking of my UT permit and carrying in Mo. It will be a month or two before I do my IL class.We got our UT last year but haven't raveled since getting it.

Well everything went fine today.
    JDE101 and RebelSoul like this.

Distinguished Member
    12 years between just about anything and I think most would be nervous. I think it is perfectly normal to be nervous the first time you carry or the first time you carry in that long a period of time.

It is great that you have taken this step and I am very excited that IL was finally forced to rejoin the country and follow the COTUS.

Congratulations on a successful day and here's to many, many more!

Glad everything went well. UT permit is nice to have.
    Eric357 and WrongRecroom like this.

It is weird a bit for the first time carrying or starting to carry again.. Help in my case that it was a p3at in a ankle hoslter ....

(course learned from that check the dangs things better turns out it would have only gotten a few rounds off then jamed .. But that is a story for a latter date ..)
    Eric357 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Take your whips for the first week or so…in two weeks it will be like a Cell phone.
    Eric357 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I think it is normal to be nervous when you start carrying. You can swear everyone knows you have a gun and that you must be flashing. Time will change that. I have been carrying for a little less than a year and still am overly self conscious about printing. But that is my nature.
    Eric357 likes this.

Don't worry most women don't bite ... unless you want them to.

Oh wait, you're talking about guns - don't sweat it, wear a dark baggy shirt.

Distinguished Member
    In time you'll get used to it and may actually forget you have it on..
    Jaeger likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    It's funny, but I would have felt completely naked without carrying at one point in my life. Watch people who loose their cell phone for a good illustration of this. Now I'm still aware of it, but comfortable. It's just a matter of settling in and getting comfortable. I wouldn't worry about it too much except to avoid touching or handling your piece while you carry. It's easy to spot someone who is new, as they're constantly touching and adjusting their piece. Don't be that guy.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links