What kind of questions are asked after a SD shooting?

This is a discussion on What kind of questions are asked after a SD shooting? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious for those that have had a SD shooting, or talked directly with someone that has, or LEO. What kind of questions are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: What kind of questions are asked after a SD shooting?

What kind of questions are asked after a SD shooting?

I am curious for those that have had a SD shooting, or talked directly with someone that has, or LEO.

What kind of questions are asked?
    I have heard:
    1) what kind of ammo and why
    2) How many rounds were you carrying (this one I don't understand the reason behind it)

But, Do they ask:
    1) How many BG's did you see with a weapon?
    2) how did you shoot (crouched, running, from the hip, etc)
    3) Did you use a laser, and if so where did you aim, and why

I am curious what all is asked, but also, because of another thread, if you are asked how you aimed?
    I am also curious because my kids have asked me why the bullets I use, and why the chest, and why so many shots.

I guess it makes sense to me, that if the responding LEO is going to ask certain questions, and if certain responses send up a flag for possibly a problem, I would want to know and practice the methods that will keep my family and I safe, but also keep me out of jail.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

2. Remove Ads

I have no idea but I suppose it would depend on the circumstances and what they felt was relevant.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

As a veteran law-enforcement officer I can assure you the questions that will be asked are "what happened" and "then what". After dozen or more then whats, you will here "alright, let's start from the beginning". After you've been through the story 3-4 times or more, you will sit alone in a room or in the car for a while. Someone else will come along and ask you to tell the story again. You will say "I have already told it 5 times!". He will tell you that he's just trying to clear things up. He might ask you if you are no longer willing to cooperate. After you tell him the story 2 to 3 times he'll ask you tell him the story in the reverse order of how it happened. At that point someone might actually have some questions for you. The questions will be formulated based on your multiple retellings of what took place.

As MLK stated they will be open ended questions. The cops investigating do not care what bullets, what stance, or how many magazines you carried unless they are trying to account for evidence.

You answers should be short. This guy tried to rob me, he threatened my with that knife....I defended myself, now I want to call my lawyer. You will want to preserve the crime scene until the cops arrive. Once you lawyer up say NOTHING except to your lawyer.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    As MLK stated they will be open ended questions. The cops investigating do not care what bullets, what stance, or how many magazines you carried unless they are trying to account for evidence.

You answers should be short. This guy tried to rob me, he threatened my with that knife....I defended myself, now I want to call my lawyer. You will want to preserve the crime scene until the cops arrive. Once you lawyer up say NOTHING except to your lawyer.
    OP, the sentence that is in bold is exactly what you need to do. The police will ask more questions, but it should be done with your lawyer....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One trip-up on any of the stories and you're in deep poo. Tell them once (If comfortable with that) and say you're too disturbed to talk. If anyone else needs your story, they can get it from the first LEO.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had a very experienced SRO who worked out of my school office, and we had lots of time to discuss various scenarios (both in and out of the school setting).
    He highly suggested that once the LEO's arrive on the scene, briefly explain your side...

"He's the guy who tried to rob me, there's his knife (or he threatened to kill me), and when he attacked me I was forced to defend myself." Officer, I don't feel very well right now, and I feel that I need to go to the hospital immediately. I will be more that happy to answer any other questions that you might have with my attorney present.

This will give you time (a few days) to think correctly about how things happened...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The lawyer advice is spot on. Tell the story once - simply, clearly - and then ask for a lawyer.

You've got nothing to hide, but this is a serious situation and having an advocate on your side who understands the law - all the laws - is a perfectly reasonable expectation.
    tdave likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Many articles I've read say that other than asking to contact/be provided with an attorney say nothing. Their reasoning whatever you say is not going to have a positive effect. The responding officer is not going to say even to himself "This guy looked guilty but now I think I should let him go, after all he was very courteous."

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I imagine there is a lot of pressure on you to talk freely multiple times or they'll imply that you have something to hide.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post

Yep. Relate your version of the event in a short concise response and then lawyer up. As a law abiding citizen you will be inclined to want cooperate as much as possible. Resist that temptation and go into your self interest mode.

If you were in the right in the action you took (using your weapon in self defense) things will probably work out. The less said to the cops in the emotional stress of the moment the better.
    40Bob likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i have always been a little curious with the not impeding with investigation vs. being silent-- thing. how do you determine if an LEO is asking for some vital piece of info for his investigation, and you should dutifully answer, or if they are just "playing" you and trying to get you to talk? (not all LEO's may want to "help" you)

not sure if i am articulating this very well...
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    i have always been a little curious with the not impeding with investigation vs. being silent-- thing. how do you determine if an LEO is asking for some vital piece of info for his investigation, and you should dutifully answer, or if they are just "playing" you and trying to get you to talk? (not all LEO's may want to "help" you)

not sure if i am articulating this very well...
    Very good question! if you had not lawyered up (assuming you have a lawyer ready), would they consider the case up and shut?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Remain silent and ask for an attorney. Nothing will be settled or resolved while you sit in the back of a squad car.
    LuvMyPX4 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    It's gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing.

Lots of questions will be asked ? Answer one ! Perp threatened my life or family and I defended myself! The end! Talking too soon without a cool down period it is imperative that you don't say the wrong thing or even use the wrong wording . Prosecution, can eat you alive with one wrong word. With all the excitement , you really need this time !
    End of conservation , ask for your attorney.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links