Just like the first time.

This is a discussion on Just like the first time. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My employer doesn't allow CC while at work. So I used to wear my empty holster and keep my gun in the car. When I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Just like the first time.

Just like the first time.

My employer doesn't allow CC while at work. So I used to wear my empty holster and keep my gun in the car. When I got off work, I'd put it in the holster and be on my way. They have changed their policy so now there are no weapons allowed even in the parking lot so I have to leave it at home and I'm relegated to just carrying on the weekends. On the upside, now, when I do carry it's like the first time every time because I can't during the week while at work. I almost like going to Wal-Mart now....
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Keep looking for a better employer.

I've been in the same situation I hope it gets better for you.

Distinguished Member
    My former employers anti-gun policy is not the only reason I left to start my own company, but I have to admit that being able to write my own rules sure is a big bonus!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Oklahoma has laws preventing an employer from making rules about keeping a gun in your car. I can't carry at work either.
    WrongRecroom and Ianthin like this.

Working on my employer, tryng to get them to re-word our employee manual... Don't know if it's some sort of insurance thing or what? But, our owner and managers are all very gun friendly...
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I'm in a similar boat. At least my boss allows guns in our cars.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    They have changed their policy so now there are no weapons allowed even in the parking lot so I have to leave it at home and I'm relegated to just carrying on the weekends.
    That's not even legal in Wisconsin. is it in Iowa?
    NRA Life Member

I did a quick search online to see what the exact wording for Iowa carry, related to an employee having their gun in their personal vehicle at work. I stopped reading when I read that it is illegal to carry, even if you have a permit, while driving an ATV.

Move.
    tpcarc likes this.

KY also has laws preventing this. It gets sketchy when I deliver pizzas in my own vehicle. Company policy is no weapons (including knives) while working, but law says they can't prevent me from having a gun in my car while at work. No clear precedent either way, so I just keep it to myself. So many assume that a mostly rural state like Iowa has great gun laws, but this proves that assumption wrong.

The company I work for is a huge international corporation so getting company policy changed is out of the question. I know some of you are thinking, just keep it in your car anyway, but if I were caught, I'd be fired. I don't really mind not having my gun while at work, and I always strap it on at home if I'm going somewhere after work. Like I said, on the days when I do wear it all day, it's like the first time I wore it in public. It helps me not get complacent or take the fact that I'm carrying a gun for granted
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Well we have a useless law in TN that allows us to carry our guns in our cars to work... it makes it legal, but it does NOT protect your job. Even if you legally have your firearm in your car at work, your employer can still fire you for it if caught.

In states that allow gun owners to carry guns in their cars, employers generally can't stop an employee from leaving a gun in his car in the parking lot. That would deprive the person of protection from having the gun during his commute, which is outside the scope of employment.

Legal to Bring Your Gun to Work? - Law and Daily Life

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    In states that allow gun owners to carry guns in their cars, employers generally can't stop an employee from leaving a gun in his car in the parking lot. That would deprive the person of protection from having the gun during his commute, which is outside the scope of employment.

Legal to Bring Your Gun to Work? - Law and Daily Life
    Yup. How KY handles it.

237.106bRight of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle
    -- Employer liable for denying right -- Exceptions.
    (1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee,
    or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to
    possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or
    ammunition component in a vehicle on the property.
    (2) A person, including but not limited to an employer, who owns, leases, or
    otherwise occupies real property may prevent a person who is prohibited by
    state or federal law from possessing a firearm or ammunition from possessing
    a firearm or ammunition on the property.
    (3) A firearm may be removed from the vehicle or handled in the case of
    self-defense, defense of another, defense of property, or as authorized by the
    owner, lessee, or occupant of the property.
    (4) An employer that fires, disciplines, demotes, or otherwise punishes an
    employee who is lawfully exercising a right guaranteed by this section and who
    is engaging in conduct in compliance with this statute shall be liable in civil
    damages. An employee may seek and the court shall grant an injunction
    against an employer who is violating the provisions of this section when it is
    found that the employee is in compliance with the provisions of this section.
    (5) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any real property:
    (a) Owned, leased, or occupied by the United States government, upon
    which the possession or carrying of firearms is prohibited or controlled;
    (b) Of a detention facility as defined in KRS 520.010; or
    (c) Where a section of the Kentucky Revised Statutes specifically prohibits
    possession or carrying of firearms on the property.
    Effective:July 12, 2006
    History: Created 2006 Ky. Acts ch.b240, sec.b8, effective July 12, 2006.

I get your point OP. Protecting your current job in this economy can be just as important as carrying a gun. I may do the same if I were in your shoes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Oklahoma has laws preventing an employer from making rules about keeping a gun in your car. I can't carry at work either.
    Same for me and Texas.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links