Tennessee Folks: We need a change

This is a discussion on Tennessee Folks: We need a change within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, A year and a half ago I moved to TN from FL. I have been trying to obtain a TN CCW all of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee Folks: We need a change

Tennessee Folks: We need a change

Hi All,
    A year and a half ago I moved to TN from FL. I have been trying to obtain a TN CCW all of this time.
    First, the TN.gov website said that all I had to do was go to the DMV, show them my FL Concealed Weapon license and they'd issue a TN CCW on the spot.
    I tried that. Local DMV said "We don't do those here", and referred me to another location - an hour and a half away. I called to see if I needed an appointment, and they informed me, "The law's been changed - now you need to start over from square one and take a course". Where do I take a course? They tell me ," I dunno". I called the number on the TN.gov website and they "have no instructors in my area." The nearest one was 2 hours away. I booked a class with them, and we got a freak ice storm and I could not attend. I called them the night before to cancel and reschedule. Was informed that a partnership between two individuals doing the classes had been dissolved - no more classes. I spent 3 weeks trying to get a refund (eventually got it).

Checked with the local SO. Very nice folks. They say, "Oh yeah, we've got a guy who does those classes, but he's deployed in Iraq right now. He'll be back in a couple of months". I wait a couple of months, then another couple of months and finally got ahold of him. He's a really nice guy and very helpful. However, his teaching creds lapsed while in Iraq and he is not doing any more classes.

OK, so I booked a class two hours away with a different (and way more reputable firm) and took the class, got my certificate.

Now, I've called the DMV to make an appointment for application - was told to come in (again, an hour and a half away) and stand around until someone can process my application. However, they tell me that I've got to get fingerprinted, too. OK, not a problem - the SO printed me awhile back to renew my FL license, so I had 'em do a duplicate for my TN license as well. Guess what? TN is under contract with a private firm to do the fingerprinting and THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT A PRINT CARD FROM THE SO!So, I'm supposed to drive an hour and a half, wait however long, get processed, come home and give this private contractor an access code from the application paperwork, and then they'll call me for an appointment - at which point I've got to drive an hour and a half again, wait for however long and get printed. So, I am gonna be out something like three days off work just to get a stinkin' CCW. Furthermore, I've got to give a private firm my SSN, DOB and a whole host of personal information.

Furthermore, the TN.gov website says that they will not issue a TN license based upon already having a FL permit, because FL does not require training. Well, in a quick call to Nashville (to the TN CCW folks) I learned that they are well aware that FL DOES require training and that the requirements are as stringent or more so than TN, but nobody in the legal department will change the website - therefore I've got to jump thru all these hoops!

Rant over!!

Now, TN folks, will you please contact your state rep regarding two CCW issues:

First, the application process is a convoluted mess to say the least. It is expensive, inefficient, complex and about as lacking in common sense as humanly possible.

Second, TN law clearly allows civil suits against persons using deadly force, EVEN WHEN THE GRAND JURY RETURNS A "NO BILL" and rules it justifiable. There needs to be a bill introduced into the State Legislature addressing this issue. Someone who is guilty of nothing more than defending themselves can lose all that they own to the family of some criminal! This is immoral. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR STATE REPS about these matters. Thank you!!!

2. Remove Ads

So Gary .. with all of your free time, you should get your teaching credentials. Sounds like you can name your price!

Honestly, it does sound like they really don't want their citizens to have CCW permits.

Tony

Advice...

Move back to FL...no hassle license...houses still appreciating...criminals/family can't sue if you should end a BG career...one can carry almost everywhere...and it's so nice and warm in the winter here...

OMO...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Look at T.C.A. 29-34-201, "Good Samaritan Protection Act of 1999".
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    So Gary .. with all of your free time, you should get your teaching credentials. Sounds like you can name your price!

Honestly, it does sound like they really don't want their citizens to have CCW permits.
    Tony
    Stonewalling, footdragging, bureaucratic %&$%!^. I could go on.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Move back to FL...no hassle license...houses still appreciating...criminals/family can't sue if you should end a BG career...one can carry almost everywhere...and it's so nice and warm in the winter here...
    OMO...
    ret
    ... and you can shoot the "Palmetto bugs" without penetrating the wallboard!
    "A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." - Ayn Rand, The Nature of Government, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

OMO...

ret
    I lived in FL for just under 15 years. I have had all the heat, sweat, skeeters and traffic that I care to deal with. Having said that, I do miss it sometimes - but I've just moved 5 tons of machinery up the side of a mountain, and I ain't never gonna move it all again. I plan to die here, sittin' on the front porch with my bride, looking at mountain tops and ridge lines as far as the eye can see...

You are preaching to the choir Brother. I do not know what part of TN you are in but here in West TN, the process is just a stupid.

My wife and I took the course, waited 2 weeks for the idiotic private company give us the appointment to get our prints done. Then, we each took the entire day off of work to go to the DMV office and get our carry permits done.
    After all this, it took 45 days for the permit to be approved and sent to us.

Compare that to Mobile County Alabama where we moved from in September of 2004 where we went to the Sheriffs CCW permit office, gave them $20, filled out a short form, waited 30 minutes for the background check to be done, they took our picture with a digital camera and 5 minutes later handed us our permits. The whole thing took an hour.

I have contacted my Reps. about this system and no one seems too interested in changing it. I'll try again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Brings Back Memories Of Alaska...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    I lived in FL for just under 15 years. I have had all the heat, sweat, skeeters and traffic that I care to deal with. Having said that, I do miss it sometimes - but I've just moved 5 tons of machinery up the side of a mountain, and I ain't never gonna move it all again. I plan to die here, sittin' on the front porch with my bride, looking at mountain tops and ridge lines as far as the eye can see...
    I feel your 'eye' pain...the mountains are superb...
    Enjoy...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Only Glock View Post
    Look at T.C.A. 29-34-201, "Good Samaritan Protection Act of 1999".
    Thanks for the intel. I'll look 'er up!

Thanks for the heads up on the Tn. CCW problems, Gary.

I'm moving there this spring from Fl. myself. I might as well

prepare for the BS ahead of time.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Here it is, I had it saved it as a bookmark.

http://tennessee.gov/sos/acts/101/pub/pc268.pdf

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Sounds like "shall issue" needs subcategories, like "shall issue after a really long time and gigantic hassle".

VIP Member
    Wow, what a pain, Gary.

I don't know what part of TN you live in, but other than waiting in line at the DMV, it wasn't a hassle for me. But I didn't have all the out of state mess to deal with, and this was years ago. I went in to the DMV with no appointment, found the clipboard with the permit forms, filled them out, waited in line, and the DMV lady didn't even blink twice when I showed her the paperwork. She fingerprinted me, took the forms and money and that was that.

Of course, I still had to wait 90 days for my permit to come in the mail.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Sounds like you TN guys need more trainers and finger print folks. That would help.

In Minnesota, we have hundreds of instructors, no pictures, no finger prints, sherrifs take care of the permits, takes max 30 days, you can carry in bars and state capital with prior notification (so you can lobby for your rights)!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Wow, what a pain, Gary.

I don't know what part of TN you live in, but other than waiting in line at the DMV, it wasn't a hassle for me. But I didn't have all the out of state mess to deal with, and this was years ago. I went in to the DMV with no appointment, found the clipboard with the permit forms, filled them out, waited in line, and the DMV lady didn't even blink twice when I showed her the paperwork. She fingerprinted me, took the forms and money and that was that.

Of course, I still had to wait 90 days for my permit to come in the mail.
    Hi Betty,

Well, the good folks in Nashville have seen fit to enter into a contractural agreement with a private firm to do the fingerprints now. They no longer even do them at the DMV (at least that's what the DMV told my wife when she called). What really frosts me is that I have a print card, FROM THE SO!! that they will not accept.
    I do love this place, and I keep telling myself that I've only got to do this once, then I can renew by mail.
    The other thing that really frosted me was that retard lookin' guy in the state training video who kept reminding us that CCW "is a privilege, not a right". Not according to Article II, it's not...

Rant : OFF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links