Can I get 2 Resident Full carry pistol permits in NY and CT

This is a discussion on Can I get 2 Resident Full carry pistol permits in NY and CT within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 2 investments properties in ct and have a ct driver liscense so I get better insurance rates and I am currently applying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Can I get 2 Resident Full carry pistol permits in NY and CT

I have a 2 investments properties in ct and have a ct driver liscense so I get better insurance rates and I am currently applying for a CT full carry resident Permit, but I actually live in NY and since they do not have a non-resident permit does anyone know if i can I apply for a Full carry in NY permit?

I dont live there .. but it sounds like each counties is a bit different ... Do you know what county your in or will be in ?

Right now it sounds like all the gun laws in NY are a mess incudling carry so ... http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

"First off, New York does not accept any other state’s concealed carry permits so your Pennsylvania permit is not valid when you are in New York. New York permits are only issued to applicants that reside in New York, are principally employed or has their principal place of business as merchant or storekeeper.

NY Penal Code 400

3. Applications. (a) Applications shall be made and renewed, in the case of a license to carry or possess
    a pistol or revolver, to the licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the applicant
    resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of business as merchant or storekeeper; and, in
    the case of a license as gunsmith or dealer in firearms, to the licensing officer where such place of
    business is located."

How do I obtain a Non-Resident New York Concealed Carry Permit - USA Carry

I of course assume you dont mean NYC cause hell will freze over before you get a permit there ...

Also sorry you have manged to end up living in not one but two of the most anti guns states in the union ... I hope you have a great job and smoking hot wife or boyfriend there
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruggs24 View Post
    I have a 2 investments properties in ct and have a ct driver liscense so I get better insurance rates and , butand since they do not have a non-resident permit does anyone know if i can I apply for a Full carry in NY permit?
    You are skirting the law a bit with this part, " I actually live in NY...I am currently applying for a CT full carry resident Permit "

"Residence" isn't determined by any one thing but by a host of factors, and the case law
    of the individual states. Where you sleep, where you bank, where you derive your income, where you pay state income taxes and how you have handled that for both CT and NY, where you are registered to vote and actually have voted, are all factors. You might or might not be a lawful holder of a CT DL. You might or might not have filed a false application for the CT CHL.

You may not have two DLs, as a general rule. My guess is that your residence for CHL will be where your DL is, and that your DL will have a CT address for you. Problem of course, if you don't actually live there you mislead /misstated the truth on your application for the DL and the CHL.

Make a choice and stick with it.

You might want to speak with a CT & a NY lawyer for additional advice. A whole bunch of stuff gets complicated fast when you split your residence this way. The CHL is the least of the potential issues.

E.g., If you have family and heirs and wish to optimize how your effects will be distributed with minimum taxation and court costs should you get Squished driving on I-95 in Grenwich, you need to consider the complexity of dealing with an estate (well it won't be your problem). Your executor and/or trustee will have a fun old time with this mess, and the lawyers will get a big cut.

Get some professional legal help if you really want to split your life between the states this way.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by ruggs24 View Post
    I have a 2 investments properties in ct and have a ct driver liscense so I get better insurance rates and I am currently applying for a CT full carry resident Permit, but I actually live in NY and since they do not have a non-resident permit does anyone know if i can I apply for a Full carry in NY permit?
    A couple of things. First, you state "CT full carry resident Permit." Not sure what you mean, but CT offers a pistol permit, period. If you're not a bona fide resident (taxable property or business does NOT count as 'residence'), you follow one process; if you're a resident, you follow a slightly different process.

Second, a word of advice: your ruse of having a CT driver's license while residing in NY state "so I get better insurance rates" is fraudulent and might ultimately be self-defeating. IF you are involved in a serious motor vehicle accident and you have even some liability, your insurance company WILL find out your scheme and your insurance will not pay - YOU will he held financially liable for damages and/or injury. The nickels and dimes you save will seem like beer money compared to the huge sums you'll be paying back for a very long time. My wife's law firm is involved in bad-faith insurance claims for a major insuror, and once a claim goes much over $25K or so, the investigatory wheels start turning, so that the insuror won't have to pay the claim.

Third, welcome to the DC Forum, where at least the mods tell it to you straight.
    Mike1956, Parrisk, Aceoky and 4 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Seeing as you may or may not be blurring legalities at best, down right breaking the law at worst; are living in not one, but two territories that lean towards communism and are ruled by people who would view you as an enemy. I would advise you make this post disappear and contact a legal representative in both states to answer your questions.

Better safe than sorry. Welcome to the forum.

Short answer….NO
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

VIP Member
    Since you can't be a resident of 2 different states at the same time, I'd say no. Which state do you pay resident income taxes in? That is the state you are a resident of.
    Parrisk likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Get carry permit in ny and non resident permit in ct. It will take a few years but it's the right legal way. Anything else is fraud and just brings more negative attention to permit holders.

Since you're already breaking the law, save yourself the time and money skip getting a permit altogether. :thumbdown:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A couple of things. First, you state "CT full carry resident Permit." Not sure what you mean, but CT offers a pistol permit, period. If you're not a bona fide resident (taxable property or business does NOT count as 'residence'), you follow one process; if you're a resident, you follow a slightly different process.

Second, a word of advice: your ruse of having a CT driver's license while residing in NY state "so I get better insurance rates" is fraudulent and might ultimately be self-defeating. IF you are involved in a serious motor vehicle accident and you have even some liability, your insurance company WILL find out your scheme and your insurance will not pay - YOU will he held financially liable for damages and/or injury. The nickels and dimes you save will seem like beer money compared to the huge sums you'll be paying back for a very long time. My wife's law firm is involved in bad-faith insurance claims for a major insuror, and once a claim goes much over $25K or so, the investigatory wheels start turning, so that the insuror won't have to pay the claim.

Third, welcome to the DC Forum, where at least the mods tell it to you straight.
    All good stuff. I had something smart to say on the highlighted part, but then remembered I have already gotten my prescribed dosage of infraction points for the week.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

It'll depend on the state statutes in the states in question.

I know of folks who have two homes, one in one state and a second in another state. Generally speaking, the states seem to agree on the basic principle that the one you live in the longest part of the year in is the state in which you're considered a resident. Required for obtaining a DL, CHL, paying your taxes, etc. I'd be willing to bet that most (if not all) states demand you be a legal resident of that state in order to apply for a DL or CHL.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't have time to address this matter, but it is dependent, in most states, on a plethora of factors beyond the scope of this forum. I'll add more later, but you are on thin ice, in the Spring, during a warm spell. I would not want to be standing near you.

You are also making "Representations" when you acquire the Permit and Insurance that might well be considered fraudulent. The ice just got thinner.............

Read Post #9 in this thread: Some of you may be breaking the law.

Have fun. I hear the ice cracking..............
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 11th, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
    OldVet, Hopyard, Mike1956 and 1 others like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Like I stated previously, and in agreement with Rock, were I you I would make this disappear/edit-delete.
    Mike1956 and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I don't have time to address this matter, but it is dependent, in most states, on a plethora of factors beyond the scope of this forum. I'll add more later, but you are on thin ice, in the Spring, during a warm spell. I would not want to be standing near you.

You are also making "Representations" when you acquire the Permit and Insurance that might well be considered fraudulent. The ice just got thinner.............

Read Post #9 in this thread: Some of you may be breaking the law.

Have fun. I hear the ice cracking..............
    Just for clarity, it is the OP who is on thin ice. The quote you provided was by a different participant.

OP's best bet. NY DL, NY CHL, CT non-resident license which is not hard to get and he will get more quickly by
    far than a NY license from Westchester County. Fat chance! Then, he must make absolutely certain
    that he doesn't negligently or deliberately carry from CT *where he would be legal* into NY where he would be "illegal."

Going this route might remotely get him a carry license in both states. The other way around, claiming CT residence destroys any chance of ever being legal in NY.

I'm going to guess this is a pretty common dilemma for most of the folks who live along the NY-CT border and do
    business or have homes in both states. There are probably bunches of lawyers on boths sides of the state line who could
    advise our OP.

BTW folks, this is a great example of why I'm no fan of "state's rights." Lots of these 'residence' issues would disappear
    if we either used uniform model codes across all states, or if we authorized Congress to create uniform codes on these matters. The present mess of inconsistent laws complicate the heck for our wills, trusts, estates, auto registration, taxation, inheritance taxation, property taxation, Federal income taxation, handgun licenses, interstate purchases of long guns in some cases.

No one but the taxing authorities and the lawyers benefit from the mess we have by not being, "one nation indivisible" with far more uniform laws than we presently have.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Just for clarity, it is the OP who is on thin ice. The quote you provided was by a different participant.
    Fixed it - thanks for the catch!

The response was to the OP - I just quoted the wrong post.
    OldVet likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

thanks soo much for the replies. I'm going to stop everything and do it the proper/right way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links