New concealed carry weapon Beretta 92 compact vs 1911 compact

This is a discussion on New concealed carry weapon Beretta 92 compact vs 1911 compact within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking into purchasing a compact pistol for a concealed carry. I'm not too concerned on the caliber and currently own a beretta 92FS ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tcandler
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By superdamian11
  • 1 Post By Gearhead

Thread: New concealed carry weapon Beretta 92 compact vs 1911 compact

I am looking into purchasing a compact pistol for a concealed carry. I'm not too concerned on the caliber and currently own a beretta 92FS 9mm. As much as I love this firearm it makes me lean towards buying the compact version for a concealed carry but I'm also looking into buying a compact 1911. I know Sig and Kimber make good models but it is down between either the compact 92 or a compact 1911. Looking for 4in barrel rather than three, dont wanna spend over $1000 but preferably less
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have fired the 92 and 92 compact a lot ...

I like them they are beyond easy to take down and very well built and sturdy guns ... Plus having 13 round with the ability to take 30 round stick mags in the 92 compact is great ...

The only downside is that it is a thicker gun ( sort of a chop down 92 really ) so a bit harder to carry but the shorter grips helps ...

Again the 1911 is a nice gun but very differet in take down /cleaing then a 92 .. Also a somewhat different saftey sysemts ...

I guess to me the decind factory would be if you can own over 10 round mags in your state .. If you can get the 92 compact if not the 1911 as it really only works great with 10 or less ..

Me I would take the 92 over the 1911 as I know and like the sytem .. Plus all you would have to do now is to get a 92 mag rifle ( either the new m-1 carbine the sub 2000 or a the storm rifle ) and there your go a whole set up with only one mag needed
    Eric357 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Welcome from Washington.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Quote Originally Posted by tcandler View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a compact pistol for a concealed carry. I'm not too concerned on the caliber. I'm also looking into buying a compact 1911. Looking for 4in barrel rather than three, dont wanna spend over $1000 but preferably less
    Take a look at the Colt 1991 Series. Model # 04691 - Colt 1991® Series

Regards
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I carried an M9 (92FS) in Iraq 2004-2005. Great pistol, combat ready. I do prefer a 1911. It just feels better and more accurate IMO. Both are great, can't go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by tcandler View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a compact pistol for a concealed carry. I'm not too concerned on the caliber and currently own a beretta 92FS 9mm. As much as I love this firearm it makes me lean towards buying the compact version for a concealed carry but I'm also looking into buying a compact 1911. I know Sig and Kimber make good models but it is down between either the compact 92 or a compact 1911. Looking for 4in barrel rather than three, dont wanna spend over $1000 but preferably less
    Eric357 likes this.

I do prefer a .45 over the 9mm for EDC

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    I carried an M9 (92FS) in Iraq 2004-2005. Great pistol, combat ready. I do prefer a 1911. It just feels better and more accurate IMO. Both are great, can't go wrong either way.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The compact version of the M9 isn't really all that compact; it's a thick gun and the barrel length is the easiest part of a hand gun to conceal if carried IWB. Even the Government Model's 5" Bbl. is easy to conceal due to its slim slide and frame. I would choose a Commander sized 1911 over the Beretta every time. I don't like the slide mounted safety on the M9 either, but that's a personal issue.

When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    That'll work. I have a C3. It's a great handgun. Reliable, accurate, fun to shoot. It's been flawless with everything I put in it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

I shot the 92 when on AD in the Air Force. To be honest, was not impressed with the weapon. So the 1911 gets my vote. I'd lean towards the Sig or a Springfield.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The 92 compact is still a big darn gun - only slightly smaller and lighter than the full size. If you like the 92 platform and are used to it, have you considered Beretta's PX4 compact? It's the polymer-version of the 92.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    If it is for personal defense try both before you buy. Both are good defensive platforms. Since you are famliar with the Beretta, the Beretta may have slight edge. I carry a Beretta when on duty and have no problems with my personal Beretta off-duty. The only reason I stopped carrying my 1911 is the ammo that works best in it is quite expensive and a bit scarce in my area. It is your decision so choose the one that works best for you.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    The compact version of the M9 isn't really all that compact; it's a thick gun and the barrel length is the easiest part of a hand gun to conceal if carried IWB. Even the Government Model's 5" Bbl. is easy to conceal due to its slim slide and frame. I would choose a Commander sized 1911 over the Beretta every time. I don't like the slide mounted safety on the M9 either, but that's a personal issue.
    I thought I was the only one who doesn't like the alike mounted safety. At least he Beretta is a safety/DC. I would carry it safety off. I love the CZ frame mounted (ala 1911) safety.

I would also go for the slim 1911 in a commander frame. But there are less expensive single stack .45's out there. Don't go cheap on a 1911. Kahr makes a fine alloy frame .45.

Links